Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry. I'm just jumping in the middle here, don't know if it's been mentioned, but I distinctly saw and heard Elon in an interview saying that it was not pot that he was smoking. Said he'd never smoked pot or "anything else" for that matter. Said he wouldn't know how to. What was that all about? Anyone?
Well see when the SP is going up...or down...but usually down. ...almost without exception some folks will come on TMS and share their "concern".

Usually they are "concerned" about Mr. Musk and if he has done anything...anything ..at all ....that we all here should be "concerned" about.
A lengthy discussion ensues were these fine folks (let's call them care bears) explain how we all here don't understand how disastrous this is for Tesla.

After awhile the care bears go away and we all here (I like that turn of phrase:D) continue to chat among our-self's.

Michael Schwekutsch VP of engineering has left
Every time there is a VP of engineering leaving shorts makes it sound like Tesla only have one VP of engineering, could someone actually get a count of how many people bears an VP title on the engineering side? I would guess it’s on level of hundreds.
Really tired of hearing this kind of news.

Reactions: MikkoJ and GOVA
Correction to my previous post about last update date of delivery information in embedded javascript - I pointed to the wrong file (didn't trace all the way down to the specific javascript section).

The delivery information is embedded in the javascript in main index returned from nginx

View attachment 384014

Data is embedded in this section:
<script type="text/javascript">
window.tesla = {json data here, including delivery information}

Unfortunately this file is generated dynamically from server side so we don't know when Tesla updates it.

It'd help if you linked your last post on the subject :)

ED: I think I found it:
Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019 Investors' Roundtable

Pretty close? I gave up on them years ago. They are like blockbuster and kodak... dead man walking. Seriously... they are too conflicted with their existing business to change.

Tesla has zero competition from Big Auto
Thanks for the interesting article. I think the author is basically right, just a little ahead of himself. For example, EV’s ought to require less in the way of service but ask any service tech at Tesla if he’s ready to take over the reins from the Maytag Repair Man. Some day, sure. But not yet. And AI/automation is not killing traditional car makers. AI/automation is still getting in the way of mass producing EV’s (witness EM’s “we kind of over automated” statement). Some day, sure. But not yet.
Robin

Sorry. I'm just jumping in the middle here, don't know if it's been mentioned, but I distinctly saw and heard Elon in an interview saying that it was not pot that he was smoking. Said he'd never smoked pot or "anything else" for that matter. Said he wouldn't know how to. What was that all about? Anyone?

I think you're thinking of the NY Times "Ambien" interview hit-piece, which was actually 3 weeks before the Joe Rogen toke.

“It seemed like better karma at $420 than at $419,” he said in the interview. “But I was not on weed, to be clear. Weed is not helpful for productivity. There’s a reason for the word ‘stoned.’ You just sit there like a stone on weed.”

Very odd AH action on just the loan news. Seems like that wouldn’t move it much.

The loan news is very significant, likely 10 plus banks have just finished full due diligence on Tesla and given them $1bn of new liquidity while also significantly extending the maturity of a further $2bn of credit lines.

This is essentially $3bn financing transactions that deals with the vast majority of its debt maturities for the next two years.

Last edited:
Seriously. CNBC spun good news as bad. I mean, WTH? Alternative headline would be "Tesla averaging near 7000 vehicles per week, with peak rates exceeding that". Q4 was, what, ~4,6k average? And yes, at 7k a week, they better need SR in the mix in the US, or their global market estimates of 10k/wk with SR in the mix everywhere are seriously low. SR is going to be particularly important in China.

As for Tesla cutting employee counts, hours, and playing a game of pennies with part production... gee, Elon totally should have said that they were going to seriously trim staff costs and playing a game of pennies with part production...
Thanks to everyone informing me that CNBC[FUD-masters] continues to put out bull*sugar*. You're all making me really happy I cut the cable years ago.

Yeah. So. Since then, all my free time is taken up trying to keep up with this thread!

Every time there is a VP of engineering leaving shorts makes it sound like Tesla only have one VP of engineering, could someone actually get a count of how many people bears an VP title on the engineering side? I would guess it’s on level of hundreds.
Really tired of hearing this kind of news.

This is actually positive as it means that a project he was on had been completed. We do not know yet if it was v3 supercharger or model Y.

Yes, good long-term news lately help drive SP deeper into the red, so I pretty much expected V3 to do the same.

SR news came wrapped in store closure news. Easily spun.

Faster charging, hard to put a negative spin on that. Which is not to say they won’t try.

Perhaps also the charger news, Tesla showing all the signs of thinking long term, negates the spin that the store closures were a sign of a company in decline.

The loan news is very significant, likely 10 plus banks have just finished full due diligence on Tesla and given them $1bn of new liquidity while also significantly extending the maturity of a further $2bn of credit lines.

This is essentially a $3bn financing transaction that deals with the vast majority of its debt maturities for the next two years.

Agreed that it is good news. But is it new news? Hadn’t it been known Tesla was getting favorable financing terms from Chinese banks?

Pretty close? I gave up on them years ago. They are like blockbuster and kodak... dead man walking. Seriously... they are too conflicted with their existing business to change.

Tesla has zero competition from Big Auto
This is the wrong way of looking at it.

The reason legacy OEM is not bringing out compelling EVs is not because of cannibalize of ICE fear. The logic is actually quite simple and well discussed
- Batteries are too expensive
- So, can't make large range EVs for cheap
- So, the EVs will be expensive and thus won't sell well
- So, they plan to make EVs that sell about 1k to 3k per month
- From the success of Prius, the take away was the EVs need to look different

Add all this and you get the EVs we have from legacy OEMs.

Remember, the low volume was not what Leaf and Volt had in mind at the beginning. Ghosn was saying they will make 150k Leafs a year. But after the initial EV enthusiasts lapped up Leafs, the sales faltered (also because of the Tsunami). So, Nissan's plans were scaled back. Same for Volt (Lutz was saying they'll make 100k+ a year). This is not to confuse with obvious low volume compliance cars like Fit EV or RAV4EV etc.