Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great genetic potential
Good parenting
A good education system
A series of good choices presented at the same time of good opportunities
I have to admit...some are given better tools to succeed in life, however it is what they make of it. My parents were both immigrants and came to the United States with nothing to their names. Did it prevent me from 'succeeding' in life? It actually made me want to have a better life after seeing their struggles. The 'immigrant mentality' has stuck with me throughout my life and I am absolutely thankful for them taking a leap of faith and coming to the US. Now with $TSLA, it makes life a little easier, but i will always have the same mentality.

I found Spiegel's June 2020 letter to shareholders of his Stanphyl Capital Fund. I wanted to see his track record to date since starting in 2011. Doing very well! :) For comparison TSLA is up about 4700% from June 1, 2010 to July 1, 2020.

"Since inception on June 1, 2011 the fund is up 43.0% net while the S&P 500 is up 178.6% and the Russell 2000 is up 93.0%. Since inception the fund has compounded at 4.0% net annually vs 11.9% for the S&P 500 and 7.5% for the Russell 2000."

You know, I can kind of understand why folks might want a selection of different actively managed funds to invest in for diversification purposes.

But I can't understand why anyone would want one that just putting your $ into an S&P500 index fund would've provided 3-4x higher returns against since inception.

Which, weirdly, is a surprisingly large # of actively managed funds.

I mean, at some point of year over year over year over year over year and so on of losing to just "mirror the S&P" you've got to think folks would quit wasting their money with those funds.

See again Warren Buffets 7 figure win on his bet against hedge funds beating the index fund.

You know, I can kind of understand why folks might want a selection of different actively managed funds to invest in for diversification purposes.

But I can't understand why anyone would want one that just putting your $ into an S&P500 index fund would've provided 3-4x higher returns against since inception.

Which, weirdly, is a surprisingly large # of actively managed funds.

I mean, at some point of year over year over year over year over year and so on of losing to just "mirror the S&P" you've got to think folks would quit wasting their money with those funds.

See again Warren Buffets 7 figure win on his bet against hedge funds beating the index fund.
Its the perception of a 'professionally' managed fund that people can brag about to their friends i think that appeals to some. Like Vin Diesel said in the movie 'Boiler Room'..."show him a three percentage return and he'll trust you to watch his kids for the weekend"

• Helpful
Reactions: immunogold
760% SP rise in the last 12 months.
Robin
Why do these talking heads not grasp that this is not an "EV" market, it is a car/SUV/Truck market that Tesla and the 7(?) dwarfs are after? The sales they take are from Ford/GM/FiatChrysler/Toyota/Audi/Benz/BMW/VW.

Why do these talking heads not grasp that this is not an "EV" market, it is a car/SUV/Truck market that Tesla and the 7(?) dwarfs are after? The sales they take are from Ford/GM/FiatChrysler/Toyota/Audi/Benz/BMW/VW.
Because they still believe that only weirdos buy EVs--even if they don't it's what their bosses and advertisers want them to say so that they postpone the legitimization of EVs as long as possible.

Just say "thank you" for the large contingent of people that don't get it; they're providing you with your information advantage for investing in TSLA.

Or sadly, they're helping perpetuate our mine and burn energy economy because they don't understand, but at least there's that silver lining around our investment.

I've only done a quick scan but I don't think this has been posted:-

https://twitter.com/p_ferragu/status/1295804869119533056

This is the next 7nm chip that will run FSD on board. Taping out next year, in cars towards the end of next year, or early 2022. This is NOT a chip for Dojo. Dojo runs on Nvidia's V100 and should soon be refitted with A100. Tesla's own silicon is made for inference, not training.

More generally Tesla has never said Dojo is needed for working Robo-taxis...

They probably have a prototype version of Dojo which speeds up training 10X, the initial production version of Dojo probably speeds up training 100X-1000X.

Faster training means a faster "march of nines" once FSD is "feature complete".

So I don't think they need a production version of Dojo to be "feature complete". or start the process of gaining regulatory approval. It maybe that they need a working version of Dojo to gain regulatory approval.

As far as we know HW3 is sufficient for FSD, or more accurately it is not close to 100% utilization.

HW4 - is smaller-cheaper-faster-better as per normal chip industry optimization, it makes sense to make the best possible version of the chip whenever industry R&D makes suitable gains.

Tesla doesn't need to actively drive chip R&D, others are doing that....

Tesla is possibly making their own chip for Dojo for the same reason they made HW3, industry standard R&D would not deliver the result they wanted on time...However once Tesla has the initial version of a chip, it seems something more like industry standard processes are used.

They may eventually be in chip design and fabrication in a big way especially if we consider Tesa/SpaceX/Neuralink sharing a chip R&D / fab facility.

Last edited:
After-action Report: Tue, Aug 18, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

Headline: "TSLA Consolidates Gains w. 2 New ATHs"

Traded: $31,220,558,672.08 ($31.22 B)
Volume: 16,496,325
VWAP: $1,892.58

Closing SP / VWAP: 99.71%
(TSLA closed BELOW today's Avg SP)
Mkt Cap: TSLA / TM = $351.682B / $188.503B = 186.57%​

TSLA 1-mth Moving Avg Market Cap: $286.75B
TSLA 6-mth Moving Avg Market Cap: $175.93B
Nota Bene: Mkt Cap on pace to unlock CEO comp. 3rd tranche Sep 09, 2020

'Short' Report:

FINRA Volume / Total NASDAQ Vol = 45.6% (45th Percentile rank FINRA Reporting)
FINRA Short/Total Volume = 43.8% (46th Percentile rank Shorting)
FINRA Short Exempt Volume was 1.54% of Short Volume (53rd Percentile Rank)​

TSLA - SUMMARY TABLE - 2020-08-18.png

Comment: "TSLA hovers around $1,888.88 most of the date (d8)"

View all Lodger's After-Action Reports

Cheers!

I disagree. Tesla is going for the car/SUV/Truck market share. 4 of the dwarfs are going after Tesla's marketshare, and the other 3 just want to go after Tesla's market CAP.

When these companies start making and marketing their EVs to be superior than their ICE counterparts, or actively replacing their models, then yeah they are going solely after Tesla's marketshare. When was the last time Jaguar was giving people discounts on their iPace if they trade in a F-pace? Oh wait, only if you trade in a TESLA.

We can all agree that something's gotta give in the global macro side some time after this election. Of that's the case, wouldn't it be prudent to RAISE come CASH when your share price is in the mother humping STRATOSPHERE?

Just a paltry $10B is all I ask. To ensure continued growth and fiscal health through the next recession.

We can all agree that something's gotta give in the global macro side some time after this election. Of that's the case, wouldn't it be prudent to RAISE come CASH when your share price is in the mother humping STRATOSPHERE?

Just a paltry $10B is all I ask. To ensure continued growth and fiscal health through the next recession.
Makes sense to me but I'm assuming they know what they are doing.

I've only done a quick scan but I don't think this has been posted:-

https://twitter.com/p_ferragu/status/1295804869119533056

More generally Tesla has never said Dojo is needed for working Robo-taxis...

They probably have a prototype version of Dojo which speeds up training 10X, the initial production version of Dojo probably speeds up training 100X-1000X.

Faster training means a faster "march of nines" once FSD is "feature complete".

So I don't think they need a production version of Dojo to be "feature complete". or start the process of gaining regulatory approval. It maybe that they need a working version of Dojo to gain regulatory approval.

As far as we know HW3 is sufficient for FSD, or more accurately it is not close to 100% utilization.

HW4 - is smaller-cheaper-faster-better as per normal chip industry optimization, it makes sense to make the best possible version of the chip whenever industry R&D makes suitable gains.

Tesla doesn't need to actively drive chip R&D, others are doing that....

Tesla is possibly making their own chip for Dojo for the same reason they made HW3, industry standard R&D would not deliver the result they wanted on time...However once Tesla has the initial version of a chip, it seems something more like industry standard processes are used.

They may eventually be in chip design and fabrication in a big way especially if we consider Tesa/SpaceX/Neuralink sharing a chip R&D / fab facility.
Will Dojo require several million chips?