Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's even funnier is that on CNBC right now they have a bright-red "BREAKING" banner that says Rivian secured 2.5B in financing--the problem is the article rehashes old news that everyone already knows. It's not "breaking" at all.

In any event, I like Rivian and wish them the best. Waay more reputable than Nikola. Rivian has at least been working hard for the past few years, they brought their trucks to Flagstaff a couple years back for an overlanding expo here.

OT: NKLA update... I just covered my short at $54. Shorted at $70. Not sure if I made any money because of this from ETrade...

The borrow rate for a hard-to-borrow security in your account below is above 25%.

Security:
NKLA
New borrow rate: 767.50%

The rate has gone from 2xx% to 7xx% in the 4 weeks I was short. I'll stick with my TSLA shares and options.

If someone really wants to short NKLA, or any stock for that matter, can’t they just enter a synthetic short position and not worry about the borrow rate?

What am I missing? The risk of losses is still infinite as it is a short position, but hey, who ever said you could make money by betting the wrong way? Is there an added risk with this I am missing? Maybe the stock simply never moving until the options expire? Even then one of the legs is a sale so that would be 100% profit.

Synthetic Short Stock Explained | Online Option Trading Guide

What's even funnier is that on CNBC right now they have a bright-red "BREAKING" banner that says Rivian secured 2.5B in financing--the problem is the article rehashes old news that everyone already knows. It's not "breaking" at all.
"Breaking News" is just another banner ad. For sale just like any other space on the CNBC front page.

I'd love to see what that purchase process looks like. Do you just overly call some guy and read him the type you want displayed?

That's fair enough - it could be a 10% chance as it's all just a WAG. No one that doesn't have inside information from the index committee can provide any more accuracy than a WAG. If you based it on past statistics I think it would be pretty close to 0% but there are certain unique factors here that should maybe be accounted for.

That said, I take exception to essentially all of the reasons you provided:

4) The SEC has nothing to do with it.
5) It's not the committee's job to value the company so they will not be using "overvaluation" as an excuse to not include it.
6) Obviously, the vote could happen without risking the health of the committee so they won't be using that as an excuse.

The percentage may be a WAG, (which I actually think is more along the lines of 50/50 at this stage - because people), but the one thing that’s for sure; the committee is feeling/will definitely be feeling the pressure. The more headlines suggesting or otherwise that TSLA is poised/readying itself/should be added, the harder it gets for them to bypass it and/or the better the reasoning they’ll need to keep it out. I’m curious to see what that reasoning might be. It’s got to be good for a belly laugh and laughing is healthy for us. (See people, that’s how you turn a frown upside down and think positively at the same time you want to choke someone.)

Because I enjoy a good, outlandish tale, one of those where you say, ‘You can not make this excrement up!’, I’m starting to cheer for a ‘No, TSLA will not be part of the S&P 500 because (fill in the blank)’. That alone can yield so many interesting outcomes, least of all adding fuel to Elon’s fire. Nothing more destructive to the old guard than a riled up Elon.

I’m excited. It’s going to be like having Mayhem on our side.

418C9D3C-D836-4BA0-B288-979659492C50.jpeg

• College
  • Living in a tent in the backyard of a house with 5 girls
You should have been paying them!
OT (Still. Last post on this while the Market is open)
They were very caring ladies..often late at night one of them would come out and climb in the tent to check and make sure I was not too cold. I will at it was the coldest Winter on record and I stayed comfortable in a cheap $20 tent with their assistance. I swear they had a sock on the backdoor door knob system in place...just to make sure their dog didn't suffer.

If someone really wants to short NKLA, or any stock for that matter, can’t they just enter a synthetic short position and not worry about the borrow rate?

What am I missing? The risk of losses is still infinite as it is a short position, but hey, who ever said you could make money by betting the wrong way? Is there an added risk with this I am missing? Maybe the stock simply never moving until the options expire? Even then one of the legs is a sale so that would be 100% profit.

Synthetic Short Stock Explained | Online Option Trading Guide
I shorted because NKLA puts are very expensive.

Not an advice..
But if you bought NIO at $6.8 like ten days ago, you would have doubled your money. Better than Tesla during the same period. I kicked myself for not buying more with my MSFT money.
If your anticipation to TSLA is only 2500-3500 , you probably can find a better stock, if above $5000, then now is the time to buy back.

Yeah, big miss on your part. Should have listened to your parents.

I feel like this could easily be an excuse used to be able to shutdown the plant because of a lack of demand.
I read it that way as well...just like ALL the lukewarm EV models from the ICE Automakers claiming they did not make more EV's because they could not get batteries. I'm sorry, I did not read any article where Money was waved in front of the Battery-makers faces begging for batteries because of a backlog of orders for the ICE Companies EV's.
The ICE Auto companies created a scenario where they could save face instead of admitting their vehicles were not near as good as they needed to be, and also cost them money to make.

I'll be driving back from CO on July 23rd with my 2 kids and my ex-wife (long story, but are are friendly enough to vacation with the kids at the same time and trade them back and forth over the week). So I'll either be in a super good mood, or a bad one depending how the 22nd goes.
This thread is definitely stories around a campfire while eating s’mores right now. You know what the next step is, right? Don’t make me be embarrassed on all your behalf’s.
and then...the TSLA long realized...that the short call was coming from....INSIDE HIS OWN BROKERAGE! Boo!