Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My point is that SpaceX contracted with the US Government to deliver a service for a certain cost by a certain date. They were 2½ years late providing that service. That is not “record time”. If they had delivered early, THAT would have been record time.

It was a great accomplishment and it appears to be a great service/product. But it was not delivered on time. I apparently rained on everyone’s parade. I now return you to your regular programming.
They were not early. Record time is not relevant, but unprecedented is accurate. Late can be attributed to the rocket explosion, the Dragon incident and going back to early funding issues. It’s complex, but great to see the astronauts safely launch today and looking forward to many more and Starships too!

Rumor was he was attending the funeral of a friend. (seriously)
It was me that posted that, and it turned out to be a stupid joke referring to the SN4 prototype that exploded yesterday. Rather, Elon was hiding out in the Launch Control Center the whole day. There's a stream where you can see him surrounded by two or three cameras the whole time.

Prepping for the press conference?

VERY strange. He’s not even listed as attending the post launch conference. Only a “SpaceX representative” will be there....

Edit: He’s there!!!! :)

Attachments

• upload_2020-5-30_18-53-48.png
    upload_2020-5-30_18-53-48.png
    151 KB · Views: 77
  • upload_2020-5-30_18-53-48.jpeg
    upload_2020-5-30_18-53-48.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Maybe it is not politically correct to give credit where credit is due. Still, it was President Barack Obama who awarded the contract to Space X in 2014. The NASA Administrator cannot admit that any more, it seems. Some of remember being in awe that President Obama went against the entire political-industrial complex to choose SpaceX. In 2014 that was not conventional wisdom.

It's kiss up to the current president for the NASA Administrator, the smart thing to do for maximizing space mission funding.

Wow Jim Bridenstine sure warmed up to Elon since that tweet last year. In the press conference he basically said Elon made everything happen on a timeline he thought was impossible.

No kidding! NASA administrator Jim Bridenstine was heaping heavy praise on the SpaceX team for the exceptional speed of execution over the last 8 months. I think he called their speed "incredible".

My point is that SpaceX contracted with the US Government to deliver a service for a certain cost by a certain date. They were 2½ years late providing that service. That is not “record time”. If they had delivered early, THAT would have been record time.

It was a great accomplishment and it appears to be a great service/product. But it was not delivered on time. I apparently rained on everyone’s parade. I now return you to your regular programming.

The problem I’m having with your two posts on this topic is it feels like you’re giving a back-handed compliment.

When someone says, great job but...it’s just real icky feeling particularly when we consider the accomplishment in this case, which is a stand-alone feat of incredibleness.

And I’m just personally annoyed every time someone criticizes Elon for his optimism, which I feel is a positive trait in a person.

Wow that press event went about as well as it could for Elon. Even "The Verge" tried to dig up something negative and got blown off by the other press conference folks. Some great quotes from Elon. My favourite was:
"What do you have to say to those that doubted you after all this success?"
"Oh, I didn't understand the question the first time. I guess I have blocked out the word doubt."

What an amazing day. Somethings bear repeating...

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt