Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In case you didn't read it (or won't), here are the
Models That Lost CR’s Recommendation:
  • Acura RDX
  • BMW 5 Series
  • Chrysler 300
  • Dodge Charger
  • Tesla Model 3
  • Volkswagen Tiguan
Note that CR mentions the Tesla Model 3 PROMINENTLY in their headline and throughout the lede paragraph, and they don't even mention the other brands other than Acrua. Then, it's over 2/3rd's of the way through the article (well after most people stop reading) that the names of the other affected vehicles are first mentioned.

This is such a clear, blantant click-bait article it is actually laughable. CR has forsaken its already tattered integrity for a few clicks. I wish them well on the garbage dump of history. :p

Cheers!

Sorry, I’m only looking for negative Tesla news so who cares that almost every other major automotive group has a non recommended car.

We can care especially less for the 5 Series that is getting eaten by the Model S.

Loosely related to the 3 series, getting destroyed by the non recommend Model 3.

Well to be fair today's/yesterday's launch was 4AM CET, so I was in the land of Nod...

nod_propaganda6.jpg

Real live driving test on a German Autobahn. Same speed, same temperature, driving behind each other but with enough distance.

Comparing e-tron, i-pace & X Energy Consumption:
e-tron +23%
i-pace: +26%
X: 0%

Range:
e-tron: 274 km
i-pace: 272 km
X: 339 km
X 100D: 389 km

Charging costs: home:
e-tron & iPace about 25% more expensive in Germany

Public:
€/100km
e-tron: 10.06
i-Pace: 10.32
X: 6.70

This are results that show how far ahead Tesla was with the X90D and that they are even more ahead today.

Its a conservative comparison as it does not even takes into account the Supercharger for free period or status you may have.

nextmove on Twitter

Just a quick note to say that the vehicle carrier 'Morning Cindy' has left Pier 80 bound for China (Shanghai) with ETA Feb. 20,
MORNING CINDY Current position (Vehicles Carrier, IMO 9633185) - VesselFinder

And Morning Cindy has arrived in Shanghai yesterday, with 1,600 Model 3's and a delivery celebration with Robin Ren, Tesla’s VP of worldwide sales:

That's much faster than I expected: February 5 to February 22 is 17-18 days door-to-door delivery time from Fremont to Shanghai.

That's faster than average delivery times to certain east coast location, such as Vermont, which were in the 20 days range last year (!).

This means the last ship headed for China can leave at around March 6 and still have 7 days within China to get delivered by March 31.

Has anyone estimated European delivery times?

Not exactly TSLA related, but just an example what happens to a big company losing steam.

Included in the results was a $15.4 billion non-cash impairment charge related to the Kraft and Oscar Mayer trademarks and other assets.

For comparison- JLR did $4 billion write-down, while they are minions compared to the German giants. When they start writing off/down it will be a s*** show.

Btw- KHC is down ~20% as a result.

Model S not Model 3 scored 103/100.

If you have to go to service center to get trim fixed or paint shop to get chips/imperfections repainted then it should very much count in reliability.

Almost all cars have powertrains that don't leave you stranded in first year of ownership.

The score is relative not absolute.

The bar is "better " not "not horrible."

Sorry, I don't buy your interpretation of Consumer Reports's actions as sincere and well-intentioned, considering the following facts:

In case you didn't read it (or won't), here are the
Models That Lost CR’s Recommendation:
  • Acura RDX
  • BMW 5 Series
  • Chrysler 300
  • Dodge Charger
  • Tesla Model 3
  • Volkswagen Tiguan
Note that CR mentions the Tesla Model 3 PROMINENTLY in their headline and throughout the lede paragraph, and they don't even mention the other brands other than Acrua. Then, it's over 2/3rd's of the way through the article (well after most people stop reading) that the names of the other affected vehicles are first mentioned.

This is such a clear, blantant click-bait article it is actually laughable. CR has forsaken its already tattered integrity for a few clicks. I wish them well on the garbage dump of history. :p

Cheers!

Also, CR leaked their rating change and the timing is interesting as well: one day before Friday - options expiry day, when short term volatility swings can be profited from the most.

At this point CR will have to do a lot of explaining:
  • CR needs to explain the curious timing to options expiries.
  • CR needs to explain the fact that they leaked material information that reduced the market cap of a publicly traded company by 2 billion dollars.
  • CR needs to explain the special penalizing of Tesla in their public communications cited above, while not even mentioning that they reduced the ratings of established 100 years old brands such as BMW.
  • CR needs to explain why they are conflating cosmetic imperfections with genuine reliability problems: for example panel gaps won't get worse over time typically, they are not a genuine "reliability" metric.
  • CR needs to explain why they didn't control for and compensate for the very real statistical bias against Tesla, outlined by @KarenRei.
  • CR needs to explain the methodology logic behind double counting votes against Tesla: panel gaps or paint imperfections are already present in the owner's satisfaction feedback who recommended their car despite any imperfections - why is CR overriding these owner recommendations? I.e. if CR is trusting owner feedback regarding quality complaints, why are they not trusting the owner satisfaction score, which already includes any dissatisfaction over imperfections?
  • and finally CR needs to explain the fundamental logic behind recommending less safe, less satisfying cars that will get owners injured or killed with a higher probability - over ... the safest, most satisfying car due to ... panel gaps and paint specks?
And no, I'm not shooting the messenger: I fully accept that reliability needs to factor into recommendations - but I question CR's decision to use minor quality complaints with clear statistical bias against Tesla that don't impact the drive train reliability or overall utility of the vehicle as a binary filter to 100% unrecommend the safest, most satisfying car in their tests. It's an absurd outcome.

Put differently: if CR was well meaning then they messed up big time both in methodology and in messaging, inflicting a lot of harm. They should have noticed this the moment they realized that their methodology calls to unrecommend the safest, most satisfying product.

CR is not infallible either, they too need to constantly improve their methodology, just like Tesla is constantly improving vehicle quality.

Last edited:
I bet that same car is discussed in the majority of the article too...

What CR is admitting is that it it is only the Model 3 that really matters. The Model 3 holds all the attention, all the importance - the future of automobiles is in the innovative hands of Tesla. The other cars are really buggy whips.

This Is a form of back-handed confirmation that only Tesla informs the future of automobiles.

Regarding Model Y unveil:
I think they will show us the car once Model 3 SR enters production. I think Elon and the team are doing everything they can to get there and it will be in July. Model Y will create a lot of buzz similar to when Model 3 was unveiled and actually create more demand for the SR option since people will be able to buy it immediately.

Reactions: M|S|W
Last edited by a moderator:
So, still a design that can accommodate ICE, hybrid and EV. Good luck with that BMW.
The idea being that they will dump EV as soon as they can. (A fool's bet in my opinion. Still it's been over one hundred years since horse and buggy vehicles went out of fashion, and they still use wood trim, often from areas where we should be conserving, in cars because "it's how a proper car should look".)