Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually tried to sell my 3/13 800 calls on the run up but no luck, had a limit order very close to the high for the day. It did not go through, not sure what tomorrow will bring. Well, lesson learned. I will be moving to another broker.

Anybody use IB for options here? How is the experience? Any other recommendations? I have an account at Merrill but for whatever reason they only approved me for level 1 options trading.
While it may be understandable not to diversify your portfolio (i.e. all TSLA and TSLA options), it is a good idea to diversify brokers and trading platforms... I think I'm going to sign up for e*trade, now that MS has taken over.

There are no indications that Simon Alvarez is TSLAQ, on his profile or on his twitter feed. My impression is that he is a Tesla supporter.
View attachment 517257

Not Simon Alvarez - he is a reporter for Teslarati who writes good articles - but the guy on Twitter who reported the MDR activity numbers.

These electrolyte additives have nothing to do with cobalt in the cathode.

He separately discussed good results from single crystal NMC532. Also available commercially in China. Dahn said North America is far behind China in these areas.

It is also true Dahn was working on NMC 811 and that is a likely candidate that Tesla might use..

I think confusion is arising because Tesla China mentioned a "Cobalt Free" chemistry which is not LiFePO4.

My guess is 2 likely alternatives:-
  1. Tesla is using NMC 811 for everything and Tesla China has got things mixed up...
  2. Tesla is using NMC 811 for Semi, Cybertruck and Performance cars, and using a "Cobalt Free" chemistry for energy storage and entry level EVs with some trade-offs...
If "Cobalt Free" chemistry exists it could be:-
  1. LiFePO4.
  2. Some Lithium chemistry is not LiFePO4 possibly Li??PO4
  3. Some Sodium based chemistry...
Battery Investor Day is guaranteed to blow my mind, but options 2. and 3. on the list above will blow it all the way to Mars...

I have to say 3. is very likely, or perhaps way too early for it to happen, and it might be an option 5-10 years down the track.

Ihor reporting 12,95% short interest. Sorry if already posted. This is starting to reach normal level of short interest.
I don't know *sugar*, but thta makes me feel REAALLLY good...and yet no one that knows *sugar* is reacting
Ihor reporting 12,95% short interest. Sorry if already posted. This is starting to reach normal level of short interest.
This seems like huge news..and yet no one is commenting on it

Reactions: TNEVol
Was this posted by anyone? Wasn't looking at this thread much last week due to the CoronaDump

upload_2020-3-2_15-51-12.png

For batteries today isn't Tesla really using the Energy division as some kind of buffert for batteries?

As in hey, we need more batteries for cars so no powerwalls/megawalls made this week. I get that it's useful to be able to do that but if they couldn't maybe they'll get around to making more car batteries to begin with (yeah, yeah, I know they are doing their best).

If Energy used totally different batteries they wouldn't be cannibalized so they could start growing faster. Sounds like these Cobalt Free batteries would be suited for that. And it would free up what little they are getting from GF1 at the moment as extra for the cars.

Reactions: lklundin and MC3OZ
For batteries today isn't Tesla really using the Energy division as some kind of buffert for batteries?

As in hey, we need more batteries for cars so no powerwalls/megawalls made this week. I get that it's useful to be able to do that but if they couldn't maybe they'll get around to making more car batteries to begin with (yeah, yeah, I know they are doing their best).

If Energy used totally different batteries they wouldn't be cannibalized so they could start growing faster. Sounds like these Cobalt Free batteries would be suited for that. And it would free up what little they are getting from GF1 at the moment as extra for the cars.
Tesla Energy use mostly outsouced cells not from GF1, usually LG.

General Motors to give in-depth look at its electric vehicle plans
General Motors to provide most in-depth look yet at its all-electric vehicle plans in bid to convince Wall Street it can take on Tesla

”During an “EV Day” on Wednesday, the Detroit automaker will give a comprehensive and unprecedented look at its all-electric vehicle plans as well as show attendees roughly a dozen upcoming products, according to two people familiar with the event. It is typically considered an unusual move for an automaker to show investors so many products.”

It's good for GM they're doing 'EV Day' this week. If it came after Tesla's Battery & Powertrain Investor Day, I doubt anyone would care.

Although I'm interested to see what GM has in store for us, I'm skeptical that it'll be much more than a PR event like Ford's Mach-E unveil.

MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade is now official, and will cost $2,500:

Infotainment Upgrade

EDIT: They're pushing people that want priority on this upgrade to buy FSD:

"Owners with Full Self-Driving Capability will receive early access to the Infotainment Upgrade and a complimentary upgrade to the Full Self-Driving Computer during their appointment. Purchase Full Self Driving Capability from your Tesla app or Tesla Account to enjoy priority access the Infotainment Upgrade. Learn more about the Full Self-Driving Computer."
Dang it, this is wonderful news, but I wish the MCU2 upgrade had been available a few months ago when we had to pay something like $2200 to Tesla Service for a reconditioned MCU1 in our "classic" Model S. Oh well. It's not like we spend hours playing games and/or watching videos inside the car.

I do love that Tesla is providing a path to upgrade vehicles that are multiple years old. Hopefully there's some profit involved! Even if not, this is great for owner loyalty/satisfaction.

Dang it, this is wonderful news, but I wish the MCU2 upgrade had been available a few months ago when we had to pay something like $2200 to Tesla Service for a reconditioned MCU1 in our "classic" Model S. Oh well. It's not like we spend hours playing games and/or watching videos inside the car.

I do love that Tesla is providing a path to upgrade vehicles that are multiple years old. Hopefully there's some profit involved! Even if not, this is great for owner loyalty/satisfaction.

Don't you want the newest MCU not just for the games but for reliability? I thought MCU1 had only 64gigs of flash memory and breaks eventually due to written daily logs.

We are interested and don't care that SiriusXM is not in the replacement, ever since Spotify we don't care for XM anyways. But that they also did not include AM/FM radio to move everybody to streaming seems short sighted and may be a show stopper, especially since its already so expensive to upgrade. Would be very nice to have proper netflix, web browser and faster navigation though.

Reactions: saniflash and X Fan
We are interested and don't care that SiriusXM is not in the replacement, ever since Spotify we don't care for XM anyways. But that they also did not include AM/FM radio to move everybody to streaming seems short sighted and may be a show stopper, especially since its already so expensive to upgrade. Would be very nice to have proper netflix, web browser and faster navigation though.

Hopefully a future update will include iheartradio to replace FM

MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade is now official, and will cost $2,500:

Infotainment Upgrade

EDIT: They're pushing people that want priority on this upgrade to buy FSD:

"Owners with Full Self-Driving Capability will receive early access to the Infotainment Upgrade and a complimentary upgrade to the Full Self-Driving Computer during their appointment. Purchase Full Self Driving Capability from your Tesla app or Tesla Account to enjoy priority access the Infotainment Upgrade. Learn more about the Full Self-Driving Computer."

I'm a bit salty on this one. Not that they are doing it, I think that is great. I had my MCU1 burn out at about 98,000 miles. It's the result of a known code issue where the code is frequently writing data to the memory in the MCU1, wearing it out. I replaced my MCU1 at a cost of $2500. I asked for the MCU2 at that time and they said they would try to accommodate that request but I received a MCU1 in replacement.

Now I can either pay another $2500 for the upgrade, or wait until the MCU1 burns out again and then do it, or just ride it out and hope to trade in my car for my next Tesla before the new MCU1 memory wears out.

#FirstWorldProblems
/whine