Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Q: Model S/X flat sales. When will they go to 21700 batteries.

A: Core chemistry of 18650 cells has been changing over time, so its just a form factor, not a big deal. Rapidly approaching a 400 mile range for Model X (I think he said X). Cell supply is an issue, so no need to monkey with that.

Range for current S and X are actually above what web site EPA range says.

Elon said they are pretty happy with the energy content of the cells and the efficiency of the vehicles (meaning S&X). We are rapidly approaching a 400 mi range for the model S. Model S is in the 380's for range (website says 373 mi). It's been that way for a while. It is higher than what the website states as they haven't gotten around to updating EPA figure.

Elon: Cybertruck. More demand than we can make in 3-4 years. Will be working on battery production capacity increases.

Semi production has been held back due to battery shortage. Battery day is still coming - after end of Q1. April maybe. Will go through battery challenges. How to get from here to couple of thousand gigawatt hour per year.

Sounds like Tesla is still battery constrained.

ARK invest pointed out that most people like to drive in cars by themselves, so a high capacity people mover maybe wont happen for a while. Would have to scale battery to crazy levels for that.

Again:

~~From the Office of Lord Vetinari

YES. Someone who wishes to update this thread with the salient points being revealed on the verbal report, PLEASE DO.

HOWEVER: Let there be just ONE such set of inputs. That increase the S/N to an appropriate number. All others: please sit on your hands (Posts other than a summary of the talk are fine!).

To be applied right now. It is @Cosmacelf who gets the nod. Thank you.

~~~Vetinari

Man that's Savage. You know when you have industry leading product when you are too lazy to update the improved specs on the Tesla website of model S being over 374miles range.

It's not just updating the website, they are listing the EPA range, but to increase it they need to perform an EPA cycle test and submit it.

Pricing strategy for China?

A: Try to make cars as affordable as possible, while good margins, good cash flow, etc.

Goal is High volume, high margin. High margin will come from autonomy.

Powertrain updates?

A: powertrain is pretty damn good now. Compares to Taycan, we look pretty good. Right now we are focused on driving costs down on powertrain. End of year, plaid powertrain. Calls it alien technology.

Mod edit: Was that word "Compares, or was it (as I think, is more grammatical and seemingly more realistice) "Compared"?

Last edited by a moderator:
That semi article was corrected/updated to "latter part of q2" .. but still q2!

https://www.bizjournals.com/washing...-buys-gainesville-property-for-expansion.html

upload_2020-1-29_19-23-1.png

Well, this marks 300 dollars since I sold all 59 of my Jan21s calls and started a short straddle. I don't even know what to say or do or think at this point. Not only did I leave over 1 million dollars on the table because I ended up being weak long after all, but I actually lost a ton of money trying to short straddle it. Worst part of this is that I love this company and I want to hop back in and go long again, but I don't know if the parabolic movement will hold.

Go to neutral and breath deeply.

Wade back in slowly and look for opportunities.

Anyone who ever sold any TSLA ever is crying that they did not buy more instead. It is OK.

Most Important is that this continues to build and explode into a new future.

hate tying future financials to FSD since that goal is realistically 3+ years out (today the definition of Feature Complete) changed

Nonsense, feature complete FSD will allow full recognition of the received revenue, which is what improves margins and financials.

FSD option enables very popular convenience and driver assistance features already.