Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The job loss comes more from gasoline production line+OEM parts from reduction in car parts+reduction in maintenance than from electric generation. There are over 100k gas stations in the US in which everyone needs to visit once to twice a week. I have visited a supercharger station twice after 25k miles driven. There are about zero employees at a supercharger station. That's a huge difference amount of work force gone just from that.

All though I feel like having gigantic solar farms + battery storage is way more efficient than coal mining/transportation. Things like that is rarely studied because it hasn't been done on a massive scale.

The myth that FF industries have any kind of future will become increasingly hard to sustain, in fact it will probably look comical in around 5 years time..

There are always small communities when are coal mine or something similar makes a big difference and people vote with their self interest.

But the wider community has a different interest and a lot more votes.

But regardless there are no votes in coal jobs when there are no coal jobs.... yes there might still be votes in people wanting their old job back, but sooner or later the majority will accept reality.

That's a good point. If Tesla knows bioweapon defense mode protects against it, I feel like Tesla China would definitely tweet something about it...

The bioweapon defense mode filter can't fit in the Model 3 per Elon:

Model S & X also have an acid gas filter, an alkaline gas filter & a carbon monoxide detector that autoswitches car to recirc mode. We should prob tell people about this more. Filters are giant, so too big to fit in Model 3.

Fred alert Elon Musk elaborates on Tesla's Model S/X 'Bioweapon Defense Mode' and Model 3 air filter - Electrek

I think if you begin with their core thesis that is Elon is a lucky conman who has never come up with anything new, their entire argument collapses pretty quickly. I made a living back in 2007 with Paypal. It was revolutionary. I know that much.

Coming from an extended family with multiple Teslas in different states, the vehicles have had zero problems with acceleration.

I also think Elon should make a point in having Ralph Nader get a tour of Sparks Gigafactory, use Nader's call out as a marketing opportunity for positive post tour comments... seems like Nader is just not informed and getting him to see the real deal (and maybe meet Elon) would most likely pay off in positive feedback and thoughts on what is actually happening at Tesla.

There is so much more than just electric cars happening with this company. Energy and other things/products (not to mention the scaling gigafactory build out industry as well-- machine that make the machine, etc)

Last edited:
Well, to play shorter's advocate (not that I advocate shorting...) they firmly believe it is Tesla that is hiding facts from investors and the government, and think sudden acceleration affects 500,000 cars. So they have the same gut feelings about Tesla that we have with the aforementioned diesel companies.

But we know the shorts are wrong...right?

Yes, the shorts are wrong. Amidst the sea of conflicting, yet valid, opinions, don't loose sight of the fact than an objective reality exists. Longs and shorts are both vulnerable to echo-chambers, but outside of these places we can independently test and observe unshakable truths.

Tesla's vehicles have redundant sensors on the accelerator pedal that would prevent unintended acceleration. No matter how loudly the other side shouts, it won't change that fact.

Coming from an extended family with multiple Teslas in different states, the vehicles have had zero problems with acceleration.

I also think Elon should make a point in having Ralph Nader get a tour of Sparks Gigafactory, use Nader's call out as a marketing opportunity for positive post tour comments... seems like Nader is just not informed and getting him to see the real deal (and maybe meet Elon) would most likely pay off in positive feedback and thoughts on what is actually happening at Tesla.

There is so much more than just electric cars happening with this company. Energy and other things/products (not to mention the scaling gigafactory build out industry as well-- machine that make the machine, etc)

Just to add, now that we know Elon worked hard at a lumber mill in British Columbia when he was 18, can we add to his illustrious Wikipedia page the fitting title of "King of the Wood?"
Make sure Nader comes in a ford pinto...

HEPA air filters don't filter particles as small as viruses. Almost nothing does, including those N95 masks which are always so popular during flu season.
Viruses do not fly around naked; for the respiratory route type (like the flu) they are typically embedded in an aerosol for a while after someone not wearing a simple mask has a nice cough.

Says the man who gave us George W Bush and unending wars instead of Al Gore and an earlier start on slowing Climate Change. Yeah believe him... NOT!
Nader is a geezer (I can say it I am way older than him) who had some relevance in his younger years. He has never had in his life anyrelevan experience to make an expert statement about this. Geezers make statements all the time about things they do not understand well. I just know. But why media picked that up is beyond me. His statements about Tesla are irrelevant.

I usually keep my random a** guesses to myself, but being the contrarian indicator advocate/lover that I am, my guess for tomorrow's price action is green af. That is due to everyone having been screwed the last two Fridays by MMs taking the price down-to-flat Friday and likely having the thinking that the same will occur tomorrow.

edit: so price action will likely ACTUALLY be red af….

This science denying thing is not what it seems. Government policy making is about job protection. No administration want to aggressively side with disruption because this potentially can lose jobs in the US. Just think about all the employees that feed the fossil fuel industry from mining, refining, transportation, storage, and eventually pumped into ICEs. Millions of job are at stake if something like solar+electric cars take over. Think about all the middle man, all the OEMs, all the jiffy lubes and discount auto part stores, all can become a thing of the past.

So if there's a hint of some scientist disagreeing on the subject, the administration will cling to that sentiment just to project jobs. If there's a 1% chance of not having the apocalypse upon us, they rather roll the dice on that then to have an administration with massive job loss for decades.

And before people say "renewable like solar and gigafatories create jobs!" Yeah but a couple of guys spent 8hrs on my roof to install solar and now I don't ever have to use the supply chain of carbon for 50 years. That's scary efficiency and the government knows it.

Years ago I worked as a Field Service Engineer in the IBM mainframe industry. I knew many mainframe repairmen that refused to work on PCs—they viewed them as kid’s stuff.

Steve Sasson was the engineer at Kodak that developed the digital camera; Kodak refused to develop it, stating that they were in the film industry.

Steven Mnuchin is a luddite. Technology evolves in a biological fashion—the fittest survives. Donald Trump and his ilk are not bringing coal back.

As of right now imagining a future of only Teslas, many jobs will be displaced. Elon knows it too, hence his support for Yang.

I think you need to look at the entire economic system.

If Tesla becomes wildly successful and thus displaces jobs in the ICE industries, gas and oil, repair and maintenance, healthcare, etc., yes, jobs will be lost. This will be the direct result of EV's and electricity offering a more efficient way to carry out the needed functions. So, the end-users, ultimately all of us, get more for less.

Tesla, the company, will receive some of the benefits directly in the form of profits. These profits will either flow to shareholders where they can be spent in the general economy or they will be re-invested by the company expanding, building new factories, and researching and developing new products, processes and technologies. The capital freed up by the efficiencies of electrifying transportation and energy markets will not be wasted. This is the capital that makes economies dynamic and useful and allows a wider diversity of jobs and economic opportunities.

In America, before food production was automated starting with the threshing machine in the 1780's, 90% of the working population worked in agriculture. This was hard, dirty, low-paying work that the threshing machine replaced. Jobs were lost and would continue to be lost as advances in food production increased efficiencies and the standard of living which, in turn, created demand for new jobs in new industries. People now had not only more money but more time to spend increasing their quality of life in other ways. The same kind of changes will happen as the electrification of energy and transportation markets increases economic efficiency. With cleaner air, our cities will have healthier populations needing less health care. This will save billions in federal healthcare costs and private employee sick leave. I could go on and on but suffice to say that increased efficiencies are always good for the economy and people's standard of living and Tesla is leading the charge.

Do not fear better ways of accomplishing the same thing.

I think you need to look at the entire economic system.

If Tesla becomes wildly successful and thus displaces jobs in the ICE industries, gas and oil, repair and maintenance, healthcare, etc., yes, jobs will be lost. This will be the direct result of EV's and electricity offering a more efficient way to carry out the needed functions. So, the end-users, ultimately all of us, get more for less.

Tesla, the company, will receive some of the benefits directly in the form of profits. These profits will either flow to shareholders where they can be spent in the general economy or they will be re-invested by the company expanding, building new factories, and researching and developing new products, processes and technologies. The capital freed up by the efficiencies of electrifying transportation and energy markets will not be wasted. This is the capital that makes economies dynamic and useful and allows a wider diversity of jobs and economic opportunities.

In America, before food production was automated starting with the threshing machine in the 1780's, 90% of the working population worked in agriculture. This was hard, dirty, low-paying work that the threshing machine replaced. Jobs were lost and would continue to be lost as advances in food production increased efficiencies and the standard of living which, in turn, created demand for new jobs in new industries. People now had not only more money but more time to spend increasing their quality of life in other ways. The same kind of changes will happen as the electrification of energy and transportation markets increases economic efficiency. With cleaner air, our cities will have healthier populations needing less health care. This will save billions in federal healthcare costs and private employee sick leave. I could go on and on but suffice to say that increased efficiencies are always good for the economy and people's standard of living and Tesla is leading the charge.

Do not fear better ways of accomplishing the same thing.

This view of Tesla being super successful means job losses is completely wrong. The renewable energy industry employees exponentially more people than the fossil fuel industry. That will only grow as renewable energy grows as Tesla is more successful. Will some people lose their jobs at traditional auto? Sure. But there will be a net gain in jobs if Tesla is widly successful. Not even close

Spotted in LA. Appropriate for page (6)420 :D

AE94879C-1ED5-4B58-9A92-A2701EADB442.jpeg