Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OMG, this cover!

Businessweek on Twitter

EO4w3fRX0AA96en
THAT'S a publication that deserves more subscriptions!!

Reactions: KarenRei
At the current Nasdaq premarket price of $563 I get a market cap of $101.48B

While at closing yesterday VW market cap was $100.76B.

And Toyota at $200.94B.

Why does Toyota still have a higher market cap than Tesla?

I'm serious, I know they currently do huge volume and are quite profitable but it makes no sense - they are about to fall on harder times. They may be able to extend their ICE business two or three years longer than most big OEM's due to their initial volume, diverse offerings and perhaps their ability to meet emissions by juggling product mix, but they are still dying in terms of growing cash flows and profits. Are their properties around the world highly valuable for other purposes perhaps? Will they become a real estate company?

Just wondering why anyone would think their money was safe there.

Would today be the real start of the squeeze?

First the unicorn guy abandoned his TSLA puts, and was not even trying to double down(smart move on not shorting the stock, have to give him credit on that).

Now POTUS said “going to help” Tesla/Elon. Many shorts would just give up.
I feel many of the shorts based their thesis on conspiracy theories, that no matter how well Tesla does, big oil wants and would be able to kill it. But with the POTUS commenting “Elon is a genius, we have to protect geniuses”, the conspiracy just doesn’t hold up.

For shorts it’s not even a prisoners dilemma anymore. It’s more like “I don’t need to out run the lion, I only need to out run you” situation.

I think I finally found an easy way to convey to people as to why Tesla is a success and the other EVs are not. I talked to a ICE lover guy today when he asked me if I was worried about Tesla competition. Has been saying that nonsense for years.

I said think of it like baking a cake. There are several key ingredients needed. And if you skimp on one key ingredient, the whole thing is ultimately a flop. Other car companies have been missing at least one or more key ingredients with every competitor vehicle. Whether they are missing a great charging network, looks, performance, autopilot, etc. They need ALL of them to make it a real success to at least maybe come close to meeting Tesla.

I think he finally got it because he realizes that the upcoming competition will still be missing one of the key “ingredients”.

Despite all that I like your replicating approach better. It is more flexible to figuring out market demand. Truck is so out there I really don’t know how you’d reliably predict the sales rate. Flexibility where you phase out the production capacity seems like a good idea.

Predicting the Cybertruck sales rate precisely is easy:

Essentially unlimited. Tesla will sell them as fast as they can make them for years to come at any conceivable ramp rate. Unless it can't get a 5-star safety rating (which is a distinct possibility) or they need to raise the announced pricing (or there are other "catches"), people will be falling all over themselves to get this thing.

I will concede, it won't sell all that well in Europe. But the other markets dwarf Europe for truck sales anyway.

Were it to be confirmed true, the interesting thing would be - Canada? I will say that in the old days when I was involved in product launches, being technically trained and well supported influenced where products were launched.

I had considered that, were I king, I would knock out the FSD HW upgrades to be mostly complete as Y launch was building so service had good focus on the new product and a flawless launch to the early adopters.

The indications last year were that FSD HW upgrades would be December (I think the statement was "fourth quarter" but I have no citation). And yet, here we are most of the way through January and there seem to be no meaningful number of upgrades. And, at the same time, persistent rumors about an early start for Model Y sales.

The battery constraints were, I thought, a good argument against Model Y before the official time frame and the apparent lack of assembly completion end of last year, but I have to wonder.

The way I see it is that either:

1. they are scaling the Model Y production earlier than expected and this is consuming the output once intended for upgrades, or

2. production hasn't meet targets. This can happen with poor yields and, while unlikely given the technology they chose to use, can't be ruled out

Am I missing a third option? Because as unlikely as #1 seems to me, it still seems much more probable than #2.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog
JOE KERNEN: Tesla’s now worth more than GM and Ford. Do you have comments on Elon Musk?

DONALD TRUMP: Well-- you have to give him credit. I spoke to him very recently, and he’s also doing the rockets. He likes rockets. And-- he does good at rockets too, by the way. I never saw where the engines come down with no wings, no anything, and they’re landing. I said I’ve never seen that before. And I was worried about him, because he’s one of our great geniuses, and we have to protect our genius. You know, we have to protect Thomas Edison and we have to protect all of these people that-- came up with originally the light bulb and-- the wheel and all of these things. And he’s one of our very smart people and we want to-- we want to cherish those people. That’s very important. But he’s done a very good job. Shocking how well-- you know, how it’s come so fast. I mean you go back a year and they were talking about the end of the company. And now all of a sudden they’re talking about these great things. He’s going to be building a very big plant in the United States. He has to, because we help him, so he has to help us.

Maybe the "MAGA" crowd is finally realizing that capitalizing on what we do well (Building electric cars) is the true way to bring back the American Automotive industry?

The Cruise Origin Story

Cruise making very big claims on FSD and associated vehicle. Claiming could do cross country drive now. Claiming super human driving capability. Claiming can drive in cities already as complex as san fran. Claiming million mile electric vehicle. etc etc. Notably there is no timeline though on these claims.

It reads like an infomercial.

I'm serious, I know they currently do huge volume and are quite profitable but it makes no sense - they are about to fall on harder times. They may be able to extend their ICE business two or three years longer than most big OEM's due to their initial volume, diverse offerings and perhaps their ability to meet emissions by juggling product mix, but they are still dying in terms of growing cash flows and profits. Are their properties around the world highly valuable for other purposes perhaps? Will they become a real estate company?

sounds like you should be shorting them?

(definitely not advice)

@StealthP3D sorry, I forgot to put emoji in there. It was supposed to be a joke. Forgive me

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D

I think because Toyota and Tesla is still not in the same segment. Upon cost parity, though...
And judging from my experience, Toyota buyers are risk averse. As long as their cars still last, not a care in the world....

View attachment 503093

Can someone please let me know what portal I stepped into where the media loves Musk, even Dana Hull calls TSLAQ "obsessives", the markets are obsessed with the stock and immune to FUD, and Trump is Musk's biggest fan and thinks climate change isn't a hoax?

People like to be right.

Perhaps what we are finally witnessing is the preference cascade on EVs, Tesla, climate change, Musk, TSLAQ being losers etc.

I have a lot (for me) 520 and 510 January 31st calls.
Suggestions on deleveraging.

1 Sell now move to stock.
2 Sell 1/2 now move to stock. Hold rest till after ER
3 Sell 1/3 now move to stock. Sell 1/3 right before ER move to stock. Hold rest till after ER.
4 Sell all and move to Hawaii.
My newb opinion would be either 2, or 3, depending on how well you think the ER ramp will be comparative to after ER. Minimal difference in ramp, 3, large difference, 2.

Just my newb opinion. ;)

They were planning on building 100 starships, using the same material that they are planning for the cyber truck as well. Combined with getting called out for testing the starship when the crew dragon program needed to get off the ground by NASA. So presumably there will be a US-based factory that’s going to put out starships and given the material is the same the cyber truck.

Mod: politics deleted. --ggr.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog and GOVA
The amazing thing is that auto OEM profits are dropping while they don't have any competitive EV platform and likely won't have for years. The big factories making millions of EVs still have to be built. Battery supply in the TWh still has to be secured. A proper EV hardware and software platform still has to be designed.

All that Mercedes, BMW and Audi have proven so far is that you cannot shoehorn an EV platform into an ICE platform, nor can you create a "dual" platform.

And ICE profits and sales are already dropping.

The mind boggles how fast everything is happening.

It's almost like the stuff we have been called crazy for saying would happen for years is now happening...

The Cruise Origin Story

Cruise making very big claims on FSD and associated vehicle. Claiming could do cross country drive now. Claiming super human driving capability. Claiming can drive in cities already as complex as san fran. Claiming million mile electric vehicle. etc etc. Notably there is no timeline though on these claims.
I have a relative at GM and he insisted that in five years none of their vehicles would have steering wheels. Personally, I think he was tweaking me because of my Tesla, but he was rather adamant about it. So maybe its possible that some people at GM actually think they will do this?

I still think Cruise is taking GM for a ride, they are on the investment gravy train.

Its funny how they mention Honda (and GM, as if GM hadn't bought them). I don't recall the details right now, but a lot of Cruise's money from investors was riding on milestones being reached -- and that hasn't been happening. You have to be careful when reading about Cruise and its ties with industry and the amounts of money to differentiate that which Cruise has been paid and that which is pending on them actually having something.