Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You might be thinking of the layout upside down. What's been referred to as Phase I is the pink, yellow and green building.
I don't think so, compare the property outline on the map to satellite images

The big end of the property is at the south / bottom in both satellite images and the factory layout that was tweeted, and clearly the actual building is on the white empty "reserved" side of the tweeted image, rather than on the side the image indicates the factory is on.

It is entirely possible that the GF3 internal layout is very similar, just on the opposite side, but clearly it can't be even just mirrored or moved to the side, as the existing phase 1 buildings are not the entire length like that layout indicates, with a large gap in-between, power building at the south, parking lot and "phase 1b" (not sure if official or just what the youtubers are calling it) construction underway in the middle between those.

Probably the leaked layout was an older plan, from before phase 1 construction began.

Earl of Frunkpuppy on Twitter

upload_2019-10-24_9-15-25.png

On the call, they said GM in China would NOT be higher than GM in USA. Why? Learned lessons from USA (this will eventually even out as USA also incorporates those lessons), cheaper parts and labor, and (I think) higher ASP than USA. What do I have wrong or am missing?

Initial fixed cost absorption will be poor, so GM might even be negative in Q4. Will improve in Q1-Q2, but they didn't want to over promise.

• Helpful
Reactions: Antares Nebula
@Fact Checking @EVNow (or anybody else):

How are you guys determining S,X ASP recovery / higher than thought in current models (e.g., 91k in EVnow's model)?

This is what I got with my model:

TSLA Temp TMC.jpg

These were calculated as follows:

1) Subtract credits from Automotive sales revenue & profit.
2) Estimate M3 ASP and Margin or COGS.
3) Calculate M3 revenue and profit based on those estimations.
4) Caculate MS+X revenue and profit. (Total revenue and profit minus M3 revenue and profit from #3)
5) Calculate MS+X ASP and COGS.

Initial fixed cost absorption will be poor, so GM might even be negative in Q4. Will improve in Q1-Q2, but they didn't want to over promise.
Nah... we all know margins will be rubbish when they're ramping. The analyst question was really about steady state gross margins in China and Elon sandbagged the answer because he didn't want to annoy Tesla's customers there.

Capex per unit in Shanghai was 65% lower than Fremont wasn't it? So that's two thirds of depreciation before you've started. Wages in China are far lower than California, which I assume is a major component of COGS. There's no tariffs chargeable on any Chinese components like there is in the US. The logistics cost to get finished cars to customers will be mega cheap. The energy is reportedly subsidised by the state (this is pretty common). And Tesla has flexibility in how much of the saving in tariffs from producing locally they pocket and how much they pass on. I'm unclear on what credits might do to this but doubt it's major.

The only reason why steady state margins in China wouldn't be way better is if the ASP is materially lower and even then I have my doubts.

good morning everyone! anyone with predictions about whether we'll finish above yesterday's closing price? :D:D

Sure, but maybe not above after hours price.
I somehow feel that a lot of people have their positions built around 300 and many who got break even will sell and go away. Margin calls will come today after the close, so tomorrow we will be higher than 300.

I hope I am wrong about today. If there will be not much selling we can see 330-350 rather quickly

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
Tesla's Chinese M3 pricing is going to make it to dominate the premium EV sector (profit-wise at least). It's the only "premium" EV brand in China that has local production. Domestic Chinese EV brands can't price their equivalent cars (if there's any) to the price of Tesla as they are perceived to be inferior or less valued brand. Foreign premium brands such as VAG, Jaguar, and Volvo... etc don't have domestic production, hence they'd have to import everything, and at the pricing that Tesla is charging in China, the others will be losing big time for every EV sold if they try to match Tesla's offering.

Volvo is a wholly owned subsidiary of Geely.

And Geely will definitely be producing Volvo EVs in China for domestic consumption as well as Polestar mostly for export.

VAG,BMW and Mercedes have Chinese production capacity but so far don't make premium EVs in China. So far they are meeting their BEV quotas by having their Chinese JV partners make cheap low end EVs. But that can change quickly.