Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Untitled-1.jpg

:rolleyes::D

"Together in electric dreams...."

One can only hope...and pray to the FSM that this happens.
As vehicle electrification continues, service revenue will decline. Because most dealer's profits come from service, and their facilities are expensive to operate, they will lose the majority of their profits. What service items remain are:

Body damage (often farmed out by dealers)
Tires and alignment (which most dealers are not good at)
Brakes (vastly reduced with EVs)
HVAC service
Minor adjustments (wind noise, doors, hood, hatch, etc.)
Wiper blades, fluid, and cabin air filters (often DIY)
Drive line service (seldom)
Battery service/replacement (seldom)
Electronic component replacement (seldom)

None of this will provide enough revenue to keep dealers alive. So their main profit area will be new and used car sales. This will mean that to be viable, prices will have to rise substantially.

LOL Roth capital issued a downgrade to “neutral” to PT of $230 on “Battery & competition” concerns

It used to be that if you issued a note 2 days before earnings you would have been laughed out of the room for incompetence.

(Stock was closing in on $262 before that note came out)

Specifically: Tesla downgraded to Neutral on battery, competition risks at Roth Capital TSLA - The Fly

Price target downgraded from $238 to... $238. ;) (only "Buy" was downgraded to "Neutral"). Note the hilarious reasoning:

Tesla downgraded to Neutral on battery, competition risks at Roth Capital

As previously reported, Roth Capital analyst Craig Irwin downgraded Tesla to Neutral from Buy. He believes Tesla has a viable path to meet at least the low end of its 360,000-400,000 deliveries guidance for 2019, but this does not eliminate margin risks from rising 2019 battery costs or the impact of intensifying competition, Irwin tells investors. The analyst, who expects the shares to remain range bound until the battery and competition issues are resolved, keeps a $238 price target on the stock.

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-22_13-18-23.png
    upload_2019-7-22_13-18-23.png
    136.8 KB · Views: 45
LOL Roth capital issued a downgrade to “neutral” to PT of $230 on “Battery & competition” concerns

It used to be that if you issued a note 2 days before earnings you would have been laughed out of the room for incompetence.

(Stock was closing in on $262 before that note came out)
He’s another Twinkie stuffing clown like Dan Ives, they are selling puts to the stupid bears that get aroused from “competition concerns”. Give me more shares idc lol Tesla is going back to $380 this year guaranteed

He’s another Twinkie stuffing clown like Dan Ives, they are selling puts to the stupid bears that get aroused from “competition concerns”. Give me more shares idc lol Tesla is going back to $380 this year guaranteed
What makes you claim these price predictions with so much certainty? You keep saying the stock price will go through the roof **guaranteed!** but what's the point of repeating this again and again? You can explain what makes you believe this, obviously, but repeating such claims to a (mostly) bullish audience, without any arguments, helps no one.

• Disagree
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Norway:
July 2018 was a slow month, with 70 S+X.
July 2019 is already at 338, with 213 3. This means 125 S+X, and still growing.
No "no demand" YoY (of course, we are way down MoM, but the wave is not unwinded yet, and Q3 looks healthy, but there's still time to see ships fullo of SR+ flooding Norway. I expect a *great* Q3.).

Or more succinctly:

upload_2019-7-22_13-30-33.png

Taking into account that Q2 (orange) started with a lot of Q1 cars already sitting in Europe which Tesla simply wasn't able to deliver in time, but Q3 (red) didn't, it's looking pretty nice. If this keeps up we should pass Q2 in a week or two.

I'm not saying each customer is changing their selection downmarket because of FUD. I'm saying FUD is making many rich people postpone their Tesla purchase, so Tesla has to find less gullible people to sell less expensive cars.

It's a loss for Tesla because many would have bought the most expensive version of the cars without worrying much about the future of the company.

The market for Model 3 could have been double that of the mid-premium sedan market (thanks to the exceptional quality/performance of the car) but because of the FUD, the actual market is just the sedan market.

:rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: Prunesquallor
finally, it is ER week!

I have read about the consensus EPS forecasts from analysts, joke analysts and the rest, but I was wondering what is the view in here for the SP?

< $-2 EPS: TSLAQ heaven, profitability hell and SP back to 210
non-GAAP profit: little boost, then bear raid, then SP to stay ~260
GAAP profit: ludicrous mode and SP to 290

Predicting share prices is a real crapshoot.

That said, I'm not substantially changing my prediction from July 12th ( Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019 Investors' Roundtable ) when I said it looks like the breakout will take us up into the $250's before earnings where it will hang out until we get further guidance. And then a nice after earnings bump where it will continue to rise over the next week or two into the $ 280s (the exact amount depends upon the bullishness of guidance). It does look like we might enter the $260s briefly but will likely drop back into the upper $250s before earnings/guidance. At least I hope that is how it unfolds because I think a more tempered share price before earnings/guidance sets us up for a stronger move afterward.

Too much rise in the share price before earnings could be a sign that bears are accumulating so they can sell upon earnings release in order to signal that the big money does not view the news as bullish. My guess is that earnings/guidance will be too bullish for this to have a good chance of succeeding in keeping the price down for more than a brief intra-day period and the price will rise at least into the $280s given a little time.

To those of you who have seen your shares lose big value and who wish they had sold I will say this:

Yes, if you are over-extended in TSLA shares, please sell. It's never good to bet more than you can afford to lose. But to everyone else, I would remind them that a move from $250s to $280s is not a large move in terms of percentage. If the story really is turning around and there is no "big bad wolf" that rears its ugly head down the road, this rally could be much bigger over the coming months.

Always think in terms of percentage, not absolute dollars/share, especially when dealing with shares valued in the triple digits. A useful technique I always use with triple-digit shares is to mentally convert them to double-digit values by dividing by 10. I'm not "revaluing" the company, just converting the share prices and price movements to units that I find easier to process and that I am more familiar with. In the 1980's to the 2000's stocks almost always split to avoid being in the triple digits but that has apparently fallen out of favor.

Using this technique, I see TSLA has a high share price of $38 and we are coming off a low of $18 and sitting at $25. Lacking trouble in China, serious problems at Freemont/G2 or a global recession/lack of demand in the coming months, I see $36 as an easy target. And with smooth sailing, I see $72-$80 as a distinct possibility within a year. But that's if everything goes reasonably well which is far from a given. Even in a fairly bad scenario, I don't see the SP dropping much below $20 again - that would take a serious risk of Tesla basically not succeeding which is always a possibility no matter that I consider it somewhat unlikely. The most likely scenario is possibly that we are rangebound between $26 and $38-$42 for another year or two. Of course, it depends upon Tesla's progress.

I find this kind of thought useful (looking at the big picture and not fretting over every dollar or two) when deciding allocation levels and when or if I might want to sell. Always think of the bigger picture, don't get caught up in the smaller movements, that's not how wealth is created. I hope the best for Tesla but it's beyond my control. I'm far from a perma-bull but I also know how violently a stock like this can move and how short-sighted people tend to cash out too early if things are good and too late if things are bad.

Surely we see an SP rise today right? I mean... anyone with any sense will be grabbing some stock before Q2 results as there is obviously going to be a bit of a bump (he says...optimistically), so people will all buy on 24th...but the smart guys buy before the last minute rise on the 24th, so they buy on 23rd right? meaning the really smart guys buy today? RIGHT?
I predict we close at $264 today.

Good guess. The Upper-BB opened at $264.14 this morning, so we've got $6 of headroom vs Friday's Close before the technical traders start selling: :D

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2019-07-22.09-34.png

EDIT: the Macros are good:

NASDAQ-100 INDEX: NDX
7,888.75 +53.85 (0.69%)
Jul. 22, 9:50 a.m. EDT​

Cheers!

Last edited: