Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone see risk in China doing a reverse Huawei while defending NIO? Tesla wouldn't be the anti-Trump voters that China targets in trade wars, but it's still war which does get crazy. I'm betting this will blow over in a pseudo China trade agreement by year's end with all things claimed but nothing accomplished.

Just saying, anyone see exposure to this risk, or is everyone of the opinion that China auto tariffs hurt Tesla less than ICE?
Tesla is building in China BY CHINESE people. They will not be importing cars into China so this should have nothing to do with Tariffs but it is a concern of mine also. They are really building the Shanghai factory fast. They might even be exporting cars out of China by next year.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Difficult one to judge - I think Ferrari is a status symbol, like a Rolls Royce and Bentley used to be, but now are considered rather vulgar. That being said, a Tesla is also a status symbol, but one for all of us virtue-signalling, snowflake liberals.
At the risk of this going political, I am FAR from a liberal. In fact I am as far right as many on here are left. That said, I love my Tesla and I love what the company represents. These cars and this company transcend political labels. It's just one of those things that are right (I mean correct) no matter what your social, financial, or political leanings. I just don't get the liberal/conservative arguments that it is one or the other. It's an American company with far superior products that are going to make the world a better place...whether you believe in climate change or not. Face it, nobody would prefer to wrap your lips around a tailpipe and breath what comes out of it, no matter who you voted for.

The sooner we get past this political banter regarding Tesla the better for all involved.

Dan

At the risk of this going political, I am FAR from a liberal. In fact I am as far right as many on here are left. That said, I love my Tesla and I love what the company represents. These cars and this company transcend political labels. It's just one of those things that are right (I mean correct) no matter what your social, financial, or political leanings. I just don't get the liberal/conservative arguments that it is one or the other. It's an American company with far superior products that are going to make the world a better place...whether you believe in climate change or not. Face it, nobody would prefer to wrap your lips around a tailpipe and breath what comes out of it, no matter who you voted for.

The sooner we get past this political banter regarding Tesla the better for all involved.

Dan
Agreed! Tesla is far more important than silly corrupt politics (from both sides). I would say that I’m a libertarian that leans to the right for most fiscal issues... I hate extremism on both sides. But Tesla helped me realize that fake news isn’t just CNN/MSNBC, it’s also Fox and Breitbart. They poop on Tesla often and spread lies and FUD. Now I’m apolitical

So out at dinner tonight with a bunch of co-workers mostly from out of the country in affiliate companies. Singapore, Italian, Australia, Canada. The Singaporean's love my Tesla, completely jealous they could not even buy a Toyota Corolla for the price of my Tesla in Singapore. Most cars with the COE are over $100K in Singapore. Tesla does not sell there yet. After they comment how much they love the car, the Italian says Tesla will fail within 3 months. (A victim of all the FUD.)

Anyway I try to make a bet with him that Tesla will build 500K cars in the next 12 months starting July 1. He says...yeah maybe they will, but they will be owned by Fiat by then!! (He's Italian).

So tomorrow I promised him a ride. I think I will bring the P3D+ into work tomorrow and show him how it will blow away most Ferrari's. He has never been in a Tesla. My guess he will decline my bet after the ride.

"The Ride" is always what changes their mind.

<--- Former EV skeptic.

I will take the risk that I won't be too popular here with my opinion but... If you want to invest all your money, diversify. Greed and FOMO are never good advisers. You might end up earning a lot of money, but nobody sees into the future and nobody really knows what will happen next. There are a lot of very experienced long time investors here, most of them are very bullish on Tesla. Let's see what they say about your position.
@izemize @glen thomson
Stock splits, if you bought pre split, actual value/share
(I suspect ARK are estimating low if you consider 2030's)(a short 11 years away)

I personally expect similar prices for TSLA, so I can help fund my grandkids emigration to Mars

MSFT 288:1 $127.82 $36,812.16
AAPL 56:1 $185.22 $10,372.32
AMZN 12:1 $1,754.36 $21,052.32
CSCO 288:1 $55.10 $15,868.80
AOL 128:1 $49.99 $6,398.72 (last price long ago)

Last edited:
"The Ride" is always what changes their mind.

<--- Former EV skeptic.
Agreed. It's taken me a while to figure out what talking about an EV and the whole transition is like to someone who is skeptical, and I finally got it! It's like this. :)

Me on my Tesla: "Do you want to know what it is?" "The ICE world is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth." "That you are a slave who was born into this ICE world."

"Unfortunately, I can talk about the car forever, but you have to ride in it yourself."

"Remember, all I'm offering is the truth, nothing more."

And so forth....haha.

Yeah you don't mess around with collectors item that shows appreciation year over year. People feel that a Ferrari is an asset than a liability and one of the only few items that come with a motor and appreciates in value.

Can someone please help me understand this forum and the posting rules (I have no idea how to directly ask the mods). So I was posting updates once a day on the supercharger build-out and the current new inventory for each model - seems very pertinent information that investors want to know (and the 15 and 20 "informative" ratings seemed to verify that). And even if it isn't super necessary info, we're talking about 1 post a day in a thread that gets about 400 per day. But, the mods deleted my post and sent me a message saying not to post this info - they really didn't say why.

Then, I'm on last night, trying to catch up on some good information about my TSLA investment, and I come across several pages of Ferrari posts - including the one I replied to (all stayed / weren't deleted). So, info about Tesla inventory and superchargers is not pertinent to TSLA, but information about Ferrari's appreciating in value IS?

I'm totally confused and hoping someone can help me understand why I would prefer to read about Ferrari (and totally unrelated to TSLA) instead of facts about how inventory sales are going and how many superchargers are currently being built - both of which shine a little light on the what's going on with Tesla.

Last edited:
Can someone please help me understand this forum and the posting rules (I have no idea how to directly ask the mods). So I was posting updates once a day on the supercharger build-out and the current new inventory for each model - seems very pertinent information that investors want to know (and the 15 and 20 "informative" ratings seemed to verify that). And even if it isn't super necessary info, we're talking about 1 post a day in a thread that gets about 400 per day. But, the mods deleted my post and sent me a message saying not to post this info - they really didn't say why.

Then, I'm on last night, trying to catch up on some good information about my TSLA investment, and I come across several pages of Ferrari posts - including the one I replied to. So, info about Tesla inventory and supercharger is not pertinent to TSLA, but information about Ferrari's appreciating in value IS?

I'm totally confused and hoping someone can help me understand why I would prefer to read about Ferrari (and totally unrelated to TSLA) instead of facts about how inventory sales are going and how many superchargers are currently being built - both of which shine a little light on the what's going on with Tesla.
I agree with you. A once-a-day update on supercharger buildout is fine by me (or perhaps once every few days, especially if you notice a shift in trend). At least as informative as "bought 3 more shares". Ferrari posts, not so much.

My stockbroker ....

I think its good to apply first principles to investing as well. Start with what we know for sure is true today. I bulleted out my own list of things that were undeniably true about Tesla and posted them here some time ago.

Once I listed these items it became clear that was large moats around Tesla and they are getting wider every day, not smaller.

Then you start to conjecture a little about what could happen on both the positive and negative side and I like to then apply some guesstimates on probabilities of each of those occurring.

Since I am starting with things I know for sure are true, for me that should guide like 80-90% of my investment decision. The conjectures come into play with your risk tolerance and perhaps how much you want to buy.

At the end of the day investing is perhaps 60% science + some level of using your gut + luck + having a big pair of balls when you need them.

GLTAL

Dan

While I agree 100% with what you have said sadly it is not always reality. Just the other day one of my Fox News loving right-Wing coworkers asked another coworker of mine to find were I have my car plugged in and cut off the cord.

He just can’t fathom that I would by the car for any other reason than I am a tree hugging liberal hippie.

I will take the risk that I won't be too popular here with my opinion but... If you want to invest all your money, diversify. Greed and FOMO are never good advisers. You might end up earning a lot of money, but nobody sees into the future and nobody really knows what will happen next. There are a lot of very experienced long time investors here, most of them are very bullish on Tesla. Let's see what they say about your position.

His investment strategy is just fine and here’s why;

He’s young.
He’s in school earning a degree.
He’s committed to at least a 10 year horizon.
Not on margin, not doing options.
It’s clear he knows how to save/balance a check book/manage money.

But most importantly he’s willing to lose and has accepted he may lose every penny of it and he’s okay with that.

= healthy relationship with money.

This guy will be just fine.