Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Small data-point, but I have two referrals now in my loot-box. Have been a Tesla owner for more than five years and the only previous one I had was when I referred myself :confused:

The one I don't even know, must be someone from Twitter, the other is a colleague that was waiting for the tow-bar - that's a real demand-lever in Europe, I think, especially our Dutch friends with their freakin' caravans :D

I've another person just sent the referral too as well, they're talking about getting an X. They were thinking of an eTron, but I pointed out the abysmal range and lack of charging infrastructure, they seem to understand very quickly...

Strange TSLA$ is UP 1% but others like GM - FORD is down more than 1%
Any good news ?

Maybe the ~1% price hike Tesla just implemented - it clearly doesn't suggest lack of demand, right?

BTW., I fully approve of using $39,999 style prices, almost everyone else does it and it has a very real psychological effect. Tesla using $39,500 left $500 on the floor - now them using $39,900 is the right approach.

Tesla should also buy a Super Bowl spot next February - with the right approach it would fix "EV demand" once and forever.

Tesla should strive to fix one human failing at a time only, please. :D

Tesla should also buy a Super Bowl spot next February - with the right approach it would fix "EV demand" once and forever.

Tesla should strive to fix one human failing at a time only, please. :D

If Tesla ever makes an ad, what would be the key messages?

1) fast and spirited driving
2) FSD/AP
3) environment / emission
4) cost of ownership
5) reliability
6) OTA/ tech
7) American auto taking back the lead after many decades
8) spacex package in roadster
9) mobile servicing

I would primarily focus on #s 4, 5, 9, and 2. While wrapping in 3 as why EV. Other points are well known or not relevant.

The guidance is getting hard to believe at this stage. Panasonic said on their earnings call that they will not have an increase in battery output until June, and it apparently has been a bit of a ghost town regarding VINs for the updated SX. I don't see how they can produce 100k vehicles this quarter.
I completely agree for the S/X piece of guidance but I'm pretty sure 24gwh would equate to 90,000+ Model 3s in a quarter if 50% are SR+. If 2Gwh is going to storage it still is enough for 85,000 3s. So 65-75k Model 3 seems on track to me with all the demand signs I'm seeing. But the 20-25k S/X I'm not sure about. On the other hand they still had leftover S/X inventory which they will clear out which doesn't help margin but definitely helps cash flow and delivery numbers.

I got burned (not as bad as this) after the whole funding secured and this is why I switched to buying common shares (no margin) and plan on holding them till 2030+ Not looking to get rich quick, Tesla is too volatile and we are too early in the EV story even for LEAPS.

I would consider getting out with some capital, can't see the price going higher for a while (no profit in Q2 likely) Think we could see < $200 for a few quarters before things start turning. Not advice though, it could double next week, you never know with Tesla.

i don’t disagree with your overall strategy...

but for his scenario, he’s got time on most of those to reduce the avg price and ride the wave back to at least break even. it’s a tricky play but i wouldn’t panic and take loss. that’s playing right into the trap

I really do wish it was less. Let’s call it $37,900.

Dave are you talking GAAP cost number or straight up cash cost? One is about sustainable cash flow with investments in expansion of infrastructure and the other makes WS feel warm and fuzzy and conforms to their traditional valuation models.

Please please, elucidate further on how you get here as it would add color to the conversation here that would be immensely helpful.

Thanx:)

Fire Away!

I think in US everybody knows Tesla. If they will advertise they need not SuperBowl as it is just add for US market, the better way will be to advertise to target more international markets. There are a lot of people in Europe who have no idea about Tesla.

But advertisement is not needed currently, currently is needed to achieve 500k of M3 runrate in production. And bring Y to the market.

Is anyone else concerned about the pace of sales in Europe? Looking at the first month of each quarter, April far outpaced January, but that doesn't tell us much, as there were practically no Model 3 sales in January and at least the early part of April was boosted by Q1 spillover "in transit" sales.

Comparing February to May is more concerning. In February, deliveries in Norway, Netherlands and Spain (the only countries that provide near real time data), deliveries totaled 1,717. The figures for the three countries in May total total 447 through today (for Norway) and 5/10 for Netherlands and Spain. Norway is the important number; Netherlands and Spain's deliveries on any given day are negligible. So with a few days to go before the halfway mark, we are at only 26% of February's deliveries.

And that's without considering that February is a short calendar month, not to mention that Model 3 sales didn't start in the Netherlands until 2/6 and Norway until 2/13.

It's very hard to believe that June deliveries in Europe will come close to March. And so far, there is nothing to indicate that S/X deliveries will be any better in Q2 than Q1. On the plus side, the US deliveries of Model 3 should be much better in June than March due to the impending tax credit reduction, and Canadian sales will benefit from the new gov't rebates. My guess is that China's numbers will also be up for the quarter as a whole as long as there is no repeat of the February paperwork fiasco. I am a bit concerned that the tariff issues may affect consumer optimism in China and cause some to put off a purchase, but overall, China should surprise to the upside. The number of ships bound for China this quarter, at least to date, indicates that there is not a large inventory backlog.

I suppose there should be some comfort taken by the fact that we are not seeing price reductions, fire sales and other announcements that would indicate a low level of demand. But we're not hearing much of anything regarding sales. Maybe that's a good thing. But the pessimist in me says that when the narrative shifts from production and deliveries to FSD (Elon's comments at Autonomy Day that expenses are all about investments in autonomy, and the statement on the investor call that the future valuation of the company will be driven by FSD), I get nervous that they are accelerating the narrative on FSD b/c there is nothing else to talk up.

TL;dr version: It's a rainy, cold, miserable day in Boston and I didn't want to suffer alone.
Good points raised. IMO, it is all about demonstrating sustainable demand with decent margins at this point. FSD is exciting and the not too distant future, but, I don't want sagging demand to be spun as, "but robotaxis and FSD are coming soon." Anecdotally, I do see more Model 3s on the roads (or maybe I am just looking for them).

Reactions: saniflash
I completely agree for the S/X piece of guidance but I'm pretty sure 24gwh would equate to 90,000+ Model 3s in a quarter if 50% are SR+. If 2Gwh is going to storage it still is enough for 85,000 3s. So 65-75k Model 3 seems on track to me with all the demand signs I'm seeing. But the 20-25k S/X I'm not sure about. On the other hand they still had leftover S/X inventory which they will clear out which doesn't help margin but definitely helps cash flow and delivery numbers.
Just to clarify, the guidance for Q2 was 90,000 to 100,000 deliveries. We started the quarter with 10,500 cars in transit; I.e., these cars will most certainly represent 10,500 deliveries for Q2.

If Tesla ever makes an ad, what would be the key messages?

1) fast and spirited driving
2) FSD/AP
3) environment / emission
4) cost of ownership
5) reliability
6) OTA/ tech
7) American auto taking back the lead after many decades
8) spacex package in roadster
9) mobile servicing
I would primarily focus on #s 4, 5, 9, and 2. While wrapping in 3 as why EV. Other points are well known or not relevant.

Best ad ever:
advetisingwarbmwaudisubarubentley-130426001615-phpapp02-thumbnail-4.jpg

and Tesla could announce new battery technology with double the energy density, maybe optimistic, but I expect these kinds of things from time to time, just don't know when.

A brief warning - noone in the know expects this to happen, including Elon, JB, and Jeff Dahn. What has been driving the EVolution is small gains [in cost - chemistry - longevity - charge&discharge performance - capacity - weight] that add up over time.

By the way, great news from VAG where the board has OKd a 1B EUR investment in a European cell factory. However, Diess inserted some riders concerning cost and political support.

Now, once again, the focus on the trade deficit is looking at a symptom. Back in the mid 80s when I was a teen, I thought it would spell our doom. Learned something since then. Big damage will ensue from going loco - without a cure in sight. From April 2018 [!]:

Don't worry to much, this is all really face saving posturing. I'm sure Trump is winning in the negotiations. That or more tariffs are coming for Chinese goods.
:(

Trump is not negotiating. He does not have a plan for the future except confrontation and mayhem.

As expected after he left us open to extremely dangerous retaliation with a gigantic deficit, and tore up both key free trade agreements [TTIP and TPP] that would facilitate a shift away from China [which would be good].

Or does anyone seriously think we're going to start making and buying clothes that cost 10X more than those sourced from say Viet Nam now?

“They have not really begun yet,” Mr Kudlow told Bloomberg TV. “There may be negotiations in the next couple of months. I hope so. I think everyone hopes so. I don’t want to disrupt the economy. The president doesn’t want to disrupt the economy. We need not disrupt the economy.”

As I said earlier, amateurs in government are like new drivers on ice.

Last edited:
It's extremely difficult to predict where demand will end up. Just four years ago many people here predicted Model S/X demand would be 150-200k/year by now. One of the arguments used at the time was that Tesla was going to expand sales worldwide. But the reality is demand for the Model S/X was/is low outside the core markets of N America, Europe and Asia. I expect also demand for a $50k ASP Model 3/Y to be fairly low as well outside the core markets. But would love to be proved wrong. Just curious, if anyone has the stats, but how many BMW 3 Series is BMW selling outside N America, Europe and Asia?

Could Tesla sell in some of the big African megacities? As a cab, the model 3 (not robotaxi yet) seems like it could be a good option.
That's ok, the market has told us that Tesla's FSD computer has no value.
they should install the chip in Europe and China after shipping. If FSD is a 6000 option, reduce the imported price and lower your tariff costs.

As I understand, Semi team took motors from Model 3 motor production line, not Model S motors.
Not only that, but the semi has 4 motors, each mounted to a separate wheel so they have a much simpler gearbox than the transaxle used on the 3. Diesel trucks also have a heavy differential that the Tesla semi eliminates.