Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon said they are currently limited by training computing resources. So if they think that with the given compute they could for example make city streets 50% better and leave highway the same (on the old FSD 11 stack) OR make city 25 % better and highway 10% (because it was already better than city and additional improvements need non-linearly more compute), maybe they chose to split stacks again for now until they have more computing resources.

Computing shouldn't be a problem much longer...?(!) At least this sounds promising:

"CEO Elon Musk on Wednesday said that version 12 of its full self-driving (FSD) software is still training but compute training will not slow it down."

"'Training compute should soon not be so much of a limiting factor,' Musk wrote. He was responding to a user who calculated that the training speed of V12 should at least quadruple once chip-maker Nvidia Corp‘s (NASDAQ:NVDA) H100 cluster is fully operational or even further if there’s a lot of Dojo online."

No, but keep in mind the following tweets from Jim Keller:

and

The competition is coming :)

Computing shouldn't be a problem much longer...?(!) At least this sounds promising:

"CEO Elon Musk on Wednesday said that version 12 of its full self-driving (FSD) software is still training but compute training will not slow it down."

"'Training compute should soon not be so much of a limiting factor,' Musk wrote. He was responding to a user who calculated that the training speed of V12 should at least quadruple once chip-maker Nvidia Corp‘s (NASDAQ:NVDA) H100 cluster is fully operational or even further if there’s a lot of Dojo online."

Taking an Amazon approach here and starting from the end goal to going backwards...I really don't know what the end state to all this AI+GPU conglomeration is headed. Does anybody, on this forum, have an idea of what the intended end state is?

I would like to be informed.

That is some serious whiplash watching NVDA!
Saw this NVDA headline on CNBC and X ...to shake up the algos ( & I think it did for a bit ... price dropped to $646 and came back up)

$NVDA #NVDA$SPX Earnings: $5.15 adjusted per share. That may not compare with the $4.64 adjusted per share expected Revenue: $22.10 billion. That may not compare with the $20.62 billion expected

^^ implications/tricked for a miss ...

spoof and then back .... it's a crooked mans game ...

People should probably listen to the Rivian earnings call. They have guided 0 growth for 2024, not slowing growth, but literally flat yoy growth. This is hard to believe but did their orders dry up suddenly due to CT?

I've been keeping a distant eye for a while, last I saw is that for the R1T they have been opening the configurator and inventory to almost everyone who orders, so it seems that the demand for it at these prices has plateaued

R1S seems to be more popular and in demand

But if you go to the configurator, it tells that for both R1T and R1S there is inventory available and you can get a delivery in one to six weeks

As I recall, not enough people ordered it, so Telsa didn't actually make it. Instead, they software locked a S60 down to an S40, and then removed it from the menu. People complained then that they were waiting to order until Tesla actually started making them, but at that point the S40 was no longer available to order and they had to go for the S60.

So, the exact same thing can't happen, but they could fulfill the orders and then discontinue the option if not enough people opt to order it.
What kind of a numbskull would order a Model S with only 40 kwh of battery? Answer: Me! I ordered in 2012 and deliveries didn't begin until 2013. Since it was indeed an S60 with battery software limited to 40Kwh, I could charge to 100% every day with no worry of degradation. I could drive to and from work (on other side of the island) with just enough juice left over. It gave me the reassurance I needed to buy a bunch of TSLA at a split adjusted price of less than $2/share. Ah, if I only had a time machine! Tesla offered a $10K upgrade to 60Kwh but I never took it. That $10K put into TSLA stock back then would be worth over $1M today. This was the first new car I ever bought and its price of $50K plus accessories was staggering to me back then.

Who's Next?* or, Tesla in Latin America

Mexico came first, but that's okay
NAFTA demands it be that way

Puerto Rico was next, but some do think
They're state 51 or some such thing

Who's next?

Then Chile got the nod, but don't you grieve
'Cuz lithium's there, I do believe

Who's next?

Costa Rica's soon, I have heard tell
They're nice and rich and white as (words fail me here)

Colombia's up, and that is great
(Ven'zuela's neighbor can't be late!)

Who's next?

Brazilians: stand in line and don't go far.....
As........Paraguayans get The Car

*As Tom Lehrer is still with us, that precludes him from rolling over in his grave.
Nice! A bit of trivia for Tom Lehrer buffs is that the song is sung in Spanish as ¿Quién sigue?,
in 1971 by a radical theatrical performance artist known as Nacha Guevara, who fled military
dictatorships into exile more than once from Argentina.

Lyrics here: https://www.geocities.ws/lanachaguevara/estees.html#quien

More than that, she covered multiple Lehrer tunes including "We'll All Together When We Go",
"New Mathematics", "The Elements", and naturally "The Masochism Tango", all in Spanish.
Many are on YouTube.

The reason I know this is that I (very loosely) onceworked in collaboration with Prof. Lehrer himself
in synchronizing a video animation I made to "The Elements". Although several others have
done a music video for this, I slowly added all elements to my visualization over the (>twenty!) years
as each element after 102 was officially named, up to Element 118, never disturbing his audio.
Every blue moon we'd correspond about it; once he mailed me a cassette tape of Nacha Guevara
covers.

My lower-rez (720p?) Tom Lehrer's "The Elements" vid is up at the Internet Archive somewhere.

(I originally wrote to get copyright clearance for a "sync license", but Lehrer pooh-poohed
all that in favor of eventually releasing all his lyrics + performances as public domain -- fortunately
he never sold his music publication rights.) It's nice that Lehrer and Guevara are still around.

P.S. Now, how could I possibly connect this with Tesla investment? Well, how about knowing
more about how and when Tesla will get rid of the "rare earth" elements from the motors? Use of
small magnets are okay, as folks like Apple are using all-recycled neodymium and dysprosium now.