Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The note in the 2023 10K is identical to the note in the 2022 10K other than dollar amount and date. Both are similar to 2021's with some phrasing changes.
I realize I did not clarify the history of this issue. In very early Model S days 2012, there was no mention of an reserving issues, perhaps because there was no real assurance the company would survive, although that was not mentioned.

I have not reexamined intervening years for this issue. Notably PWC have been the auditors since the beginning. Despite my erroneous implication that this note was the first one, I do still think that the rise in 2023 is different than the path of recent history.

Still, in defense of @mongo stated position the first non months of 2023 are compared by Warranty Week:
1706559803219.png

Note that they all increased. That is unsurprising, but Tesla's increase still is unusual since they typically show better trends than do competitors.

Any talk of the cybertruck missing metrics seems nuts to me. Any other car company on the planet does not even pretend for a split-second that the concept cars they show off will ever, ever get made.
If Toyota delivered what they claim as reliably as Tesla, we would have a Toyota EV made of unobtanium running on solid state batteries with 50,000 miles range in stores by now.

What’s more nuts is how ants now think what they say or do makes any difference. Ants used to be aware of this.

Much has been said (mostly by our esteemed @unk45) about how BYD in particular, and Chinese companies in general, have established multi-year head starts in parts of South America. These included arranging ongoing parts suppliers, vehicle and/or bus charging, and other infrastructure, as well as presumably long term relationship-building with local bigwigs.
My thought over the weekend was, if BYD looks like they can transition the automotive market fast enough in certain markets, why wouldn't Tesla just ... let them?
If the mission is truly to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy, as it clearly is from Tesla's actions over the past years, might Tesla, entirely consistently with their mission, leave some markets to BYD et al if those companies can do the job faster by leveraging their existing foothold?
This would leave Tesla to focus on areas that are more behind on the transition, thereby yielding an overall speed increase in the mission.
Is my logic flawed here? Global domination is cool and all, but to reference an old forum poster (@Gigapress, you still around?), Global Optimization is what all the cool kids want!
Food for thought anyway?
Good point! Still, although we almost all sign on to the mission we are all money-grubbing-retail-shareholders so we, unless we also hold BYD, don't really want them to become any more influential than they are. To the contrary, we want Tesla to be in all those places too, acting as a catalyst for others while making tones of money for us in the process.

I have both my Roth and IRA at the same brokerage with linked accounts. I can transfer the shares directly, and they will move intraday. Usually shows up within an hour. No pricing risk. I understand the price they use on the 1099 is the closing price for the day. Taxes are paid outside of the transfer.
This was selling from an Individual account to buy in the Roth. No direct share transfer that I could find. Only cash transfer.

I did do an IRA to Roth transfer directly, a week or so ago.

not sure of the accuracy of this but if true no reason other than production constraints ...

6 days ago, InsideEVs wrote:

Some cities like Beijing don't permit massive trucks to enter certain areas. But if China's reasoning is anything like Europe's, it's likely due to the truck's overly "sharp" edges and rigid construction which could spell out disasters for pedestrians and other motorists involved in an accident with the truck.

It's a good thing that the 3ton CT won't be proliferating in congested city centers. I think CT would sell well in rural China, just for work/agricultural. It's a lower priority than Model 2 though, by far. So maybe post-2030 to come back around to build local factories for the 'nice-to-haves'.

Cheers!

Good news or bad news? Tesla is owed billions for megapacks delivered but not fully commissioned.

Primarily good. It means energy growing faster than the revenue tells. But needs tighter contracts and faster connection permits?

edit: I may have read something about lower prices for those who self commission their project. If so, Tesla already moving to address the problem.

Not a problem. The vast majority of Megapack volume is paid on schedules of typical project finance, which typically covers actual cash expenses on a predefined percentage fo completion basis with a final payment upon project completion and handover. The precise schedules vary greatly from project to project, but the net effect is to have very 'lumpy' payments at the end of the project. That usually means that the supplier has large accounts receivable that are pending completion of final delivery and performance evaluation. For power plants those final payments often are made only after extended tests in full production. Again, contracts are individual, but slow payment in full is the norm.

The interesting divergence is that Tesla seems, on the surface, to be maintaining neutral cash flow on the projects at worst. It's too soon to know for certain, but by 2025 we should know much more as disclosures increase with the growing business. BTW, while I am familiar with project financing I have never had close look at any VPP or utility-level solar, wind or storage. My perspective is from fossil fuel and nuclear projects.

How do they like it? Have they had a Tesla before?

Yeah, they've had a Model 3 SR+ (2019) which this is replacing. They were confident enough they'd like the new one based on their current experience and reviews, without taking a test drive. I'm sure they'll like it, will find out in a few days! ;)

I got them into Tesla as a brand and also investment, my dad was never really "into cars" before this. I think he now has an addiction.

You believe the current addition of Schuler presses is already for Gen 3? That would be an unusual long planned investment for Tesla, but great for a synchronized roll out on each continent.

I do believe that, along with a few other tidbits:
  • that wasn't the orginal plan for Berlin (2nd Model Y line was planned originally -- remember that long pause in construction of Stamping 2 at Berlin last year?)
  • considerations like availability of German labor and Permitting timelines moved Model 2 to a higher priority
  • a year ago, Model 2 was "Mexico-first, start of 2025", then in June 2023 Elon switched the first Model 2 to Austin to accelerate the program
  • now, "Late 2025" isn't accelerating the program; ergo Elon is sandbagging Model 2
  • IMO he's playing cutesy with "volume production" vs. "start of production"
  • Ron Baron told his investors flat out in Nov 2023 that Model 2 was 12-18 mth away
  • the 48v supply chain is being wound up right now with Cybertruck; Gen 3 will benefit
  • If Model 2 does not need a single casting, then the existing 6500 ton Gigapresses at Austin and Berlin can build the new model (CT front is cast with a 6.5K ton G.P.) - question remains what happens in Shanghai, but drone overflights are rare now
  • futher, if Model 2 also reuses certain stampings from Model Y, then that is ACCELERATING the program (remains to be seen how they address "paint")
  • after all, Tesla "Investor Day" in March 2023 did show a Model Y as an example of the unboxed process: the innovation is in gen. assembly and the $1K powertrain (P.M. motors w/o rare earth materials)
  • how much FASTER could a compact CUV be brought to market if it doesn't need the long-lead items like a new paints shop, giga-presses, stamping press and various dies?
Cheers to the hopeful!

P.S. Oh gawd, how's about Elon selling his 2018 shares into a huge surge caused by announcing Model 2 a year early, w. deliveries starting in 2 weeks?! Hahahaha... :D

Last edited:
Any talk of the cybertruck missing metrics seems nuts to me. Any other car company on the planet does not even pretend for a split-second that the concept cars they show off will ever, ever get made.
If Toyota delivered what they claim as reliably as Tesla, we would have a Toyota EV made of unobtanium running on solid state batteries with 50,000 miles range in stores by now.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the Lincoln Navigator 2016 concept with enormous gullwing doors and deployable stairs, which I distinctly remember hit production, made the Model X look lame, and stole Tesla's customers.

I also give you the original Chevy Volt concept, with the definitely-real transparent door segments and shaved door handles. This styling definitely wasn't replaced with a much less aggressive and normal looking sedan with regular doors sporting normal handles and some glued-on shiny black plastic...

1706560799296.png

On the other hand, the current Dual Motor Cybertruck looks darned close to the original. It's still a jarring triangle of bullet-resistant stainless steel with a roll-up tonneau cover you can stand on. The EPA range meets the original 300+ mile prediction for the dual-motor version. More suspension travel and ground clearance have been achieved. 11,000 pounds towing is an improvement over the announced 10,000. A squircle instead of a yoke is an improvement for many. Rear screen and rear wheel steering weren't features at the reveal, and the doorhandles have been shaved if you like that style (haha, the opposite of what other manufacturers do). But, the payload is down from 3,500 pounds and there's no 6th seat (yet?). Pretty decent overall!

Sure, the price is higher...but as investors we WANT Tesla to take advantage when demand outstrips production. With time, production will come up, the price should come down, and specs should increase...

The lack of enhanced range and towing for the Tri-Motor is disappointing; it feels like a repeat of when the 500-mile "Plaid Plus" Model S was dropped. So, combined with the (presently) high prices, I understand the negative sentiment some have. But, compared to any other manufacturer's changes from concept to production (or complete lack of production), Tesla gets the most hate and the least credit...

I realize I did not clarify the history of this issue. In very early Model S days 2012, there was no mention of an reserving issues, perhaps because there was no real assurance the company would survive, although that was not mentioned.

I have not reexamined intervening years for this issue. Notably PWC have been the auditors since the beginning. Despite my erroneous implication that this note was the first one, I do still think that the rise in 2023 is different than the path of recent history.

Still, in defense of @mongo stated position the first non months of 2023 are compared by Warranty Week:View attachment 1013335
Note that they all increased. That is unsurprising, but Tesla's increase still is unusual since they typically show better trends than do competitors.

It is interesting to do a text compare on that note from year to year 2021 to 2022 saw the largest change in recent times with references to management assumptions regarding warranty projections.

I wonder which generation/ plant is the cause of the uptick. Austin inital quality, Fremont older units, refresh teething issues... (mailing costs of NHTSA requested recall letters 😉)

OH! The early generation battery powered pyro fuses are all being swapped out under warranty. Not sure on total quantity, but that would cause some level of uptick.