Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The published reference are about a month old...
...but developments seem to be moving rapidly. Alberto van Klaveren, Chile's Dutch-born Foreign Minister, allegedly has been having more discussions with US counterparts. The first priority, as last months reports suggest, is environmentally and economically sustainable exploitation of the lithium deposits. Although those have been nationalized, the fundamental issue remains how to produce lithium without environmental disaster.
The recent discussions with Tesla have been along similar lines, but also focus on solar power generation and distribution, electric vehicles, charging infrastructure and, not coincidently, the growing effectiveness of Virtual Power Plants, Autobidder and related topics leading towards reduction of grid instability and, perhaps more importantly, reducing necessity for import of petroleum products.

There have not been official pronouncements on these subjects thus far, at least linked together. Since the Tesla corporate submissions in Chile did make explicit inclusion of "production and supply of electricity" in addition to the full array of electric vehicle topics, it becomes logical that the present rumors are possibly correct, that Tesla has not given up on the lithium efforts as described long ago in 2019:
tesla-in-talks-with-chiles-sqm-over-lithium-investment
Equally obvious is that the 2019 discussion whetted appetites, although the specifics were not successful.

A significant factor in the present rumors is Enel:
(FWIW, EnelX supplied the charing equipment I have in Brazil)

One impetus for all this is the positive experience Chile has had with the Santiago busses.
Another is certainly Alberto van Klaveren, whose perspectives are allegedly having direct impact on these questions beyond only the Foreign affairs issues.

This post is speculative because the published information deals with narrow topics, not the Chilean government positions. I am confident that these events are moving quite quickly and that Tesla may well join the Chinese, who are doing all they can to advance their own interests in these arenas.

re FAST charging Chinese LFP
CATL was first: CATL to launch LFP battery with 4C this year | electrive.com
then just few days ago SVOLT: SVOLT promises LFP cells with charging rates of up to 5C | electrive.com
and now Geely: Zeekr presents LFP battery with fast charging rate | electrive.com

BTW I like how this webside titled Tesla "recall" article: Tesla must revise Autopilot software | electrive.com

edit: 1 more link from that site France to stop subsidizing Chinese EVs | electrive.com Model 3 won't qualify for subsidy but Berlin Y will.

Last edited:
I am so joyous to put Tesla’s 2023 behind us.

It was like a year of distractions and watching the dough rise.

Now comes the time of baking. Soon the sweet waft of fresh goodies rising rising rising in the oven will dominate.

So much sweet goodness on the horizon.
Yes....but.....

You owe me a new computer screen. And a cup of coffee. :p

Missing from the story is how it will be manufactured in partnership with and using breaking technology developed by Toyota in a factory they have designed which will be fueled entirely by Hydrogen.

Without this tie-in, credibility is dubious at best. 🤷‍♂️

/s

Last edited:
UK - What Car review of BYD Seal (LFP), ID7 Launch Edition & Highland Model 3 RWD (LFP)

ID7 is expensive - £10,000 more than BYD Seal. ID7 might get cheaper trims in future. Doesn't pay import tax.
BYD Seal £5000 more expensive than Model 3 at £40000 (includes taxes that USA prices don't)

Chinese competition to Tesla seems to be mostly MG4, I don't think BYD are there yet. If Tesla keep engineering costs down, then Tesla should more than hold their own except for people who want something different or have other needs/reasons

* little bit silly - British English = VERY silly

1 - Tesla the brand is making every other car manufacturer I think look a little bit silly *

2 - I'd agree think it is. So there you have it the model 3 is still king of electric cars and it really looks like it will take something truly Sensational to change that

Timestamped to Model 3 being king..

Last edited:
UK - What Car review of BYD Seal (LFP), ID7 Launch Edition & Highland Model 3 RWD (LFP)

ID7 is expensive - £10,000 more than BYD Seal. ID7 might get cheaper trims in future. Doesn't pay import tax.
BYD Seal £5000 more expensive than Model 3 at £40000 (includes taxes that USA prices don't)

Chinese competition to Tesla seems to be mostly MG4, I don't think BYD are there yet. If Tesla keep engineering costs down, then Tesla should more than hold their own except for people who want something different or have other needs/reasons

Timestamped to Model 3 being king..
Came here to post this as well.

It looks like BYD has become Tesla’s most serious competition. Also, I have seen previous comparisons where the BYD Seal actually beat out the model three. It is very nice to see this WhatCar comparison restore the natural order :)

Max pain today is at $230....the only significant number of options is a call wall at $250.

Pretty clear, "they" will work to protect that 250 call wall.
And next week looks exciting so far. Been watching it. It's like a "Slow Squeeze" trying to break out of the "Bandit Bands."

1702653488806.png

Edit...
1702654347977.png
Did somebody say BYD?

Last edited:
BYD can only be considered competition when we KNOW that they make a profit on each BEV. Until then its just like legacy US auto, loss-leader BEVs subsidized by selling fossil fuel nonsense.
IDK. I'd imagine the BYD brand could carry it through to profitability in the future. Maybe not so much growth until then. But I'm under the impression businesses in China can go on neg margin longer than other countries. It's called Dumping which is illegal but still, this is a fight to the death.

Today might be one of those rare days that "they" lose control. That would be great to see.
View attachment 999663

What do they call that when a song gets stuck in your head?

Today, the song is Pop Goes the Weasel...

All around the trading floor
the monkey chased the weasel

Tink, Tink, Tink...

HODL

Extraordinary claims needs extraordinary evidence. I have never been impressed with this guy, and this one doesn't help either.

He doesn't even mention once what is the source of all the tall claims he makes of this "wonder battery". And look at the claims:

This battery:

- can withstand -45C to 1000C
- can charge at 500 KW
- higher volume density at pack level ..... and get this ...
- can charge 25% faster at sub zero temps.

He keeps running this crazy annoying video in the background in a loop. And not a single document or source to substantiate his claim or anything. Not even, something like, he heard it from his dog sitter's neighbors cousin working in some R&D in some crazy village in Germany.

Chalk this up to another clickbait video.
Didn't watch the video, but the temp claim has to be 100C, right?

Reactions: wtlloyd