Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ack, and now he says he is worried about going bankrupt. Shut up Elon, shut up.
No, he said that "Tesla won't sink" but part of that is he is worried about things and is slowing things down at Tesla to ensure that it doesn't. Or would you rather he be like Lucid losing tons of money while still going full speed ahead on expanding manufacturing facilities and product lines?

As he said he is probably a little over paranoid, but as the economy improves, Tesla can/will speed things back up.

I am going to cry 😅. 1.8M guidance still on the horizon and I think you meant until the interest rates start to go down.
Yes, that's what Elon implied, but that isn't what will actually happen. It is very possible for the economy to pick up, and people to start buying cars again in volume even with interest rates where they are. In the 1990s (it was only 25 years ago people!), we had 6% interest rates with an absolutely BOOMING economy. So while Elon cries about interest rates, he may find that it doesn't matter as much as he thinks IF the economy picks up.

Yes, that's what Elon implied, but that isn't what will actually happen. It is very possible for the economy to pick up, and people to start buying cars again in volume even with interest rates where they are. In the 1990s (it was only 25 years ago people!), we had 6% interest rates with an absolutely BOOMING economy. So while Elon cries about interest rates, he may find that it doesn't matter as much as he thinks IF the economy picks up.

Cars were a lot cheaper 25 years ago.

Maybe the concern is if interest rates are raised further to stifle economy by fighting inflation when it happens to pick up in the near future.

Not only that rates get lowered at current economy activity.

Overall, I fully agree with Tesla's plans to slow down GigaMexico, while moving the next-gen platform's initial production to GigaTexas. It makes sense in multiple ways, like the building already exists and has space available as well as that is where the engineers are. Plans change, and long-term this change is one that I think is for the best.

Cybertruck can still rescue this. As long as it is not a dud and “start of production” truly means start of production and not a semi style start of production.

With all the CTs leaving the factory I have to believe this ramp will be different. I do believe that launch wont be just a few on the 30th. I do believe that rumor that they will also deliver in other locations the next day. That would do a lot for Tesla, but the downer on Cybertruck expense etc. on the call will hurt it. Yeah we know launch cars cost more than the revenue, just dont need to focus on it so much.

With all the CTs leaving the factory I have to believe this ramp will be different. I do believe that launch wont be just a few on the 30th. I do believe that rumor that they will also deliver in other locations the next day. That would do a lot for Tesla, but the downer on Cybertruck expense etc. on the call will hurt it. Yeah we know launch cars cost more than the revenue, just dont need to focus on it so much.
It would hurt no one if Elon just didn't say...or even didn't stew in the difficulties of the CT. Doing so does hurt and we all know the market doesn't account for this stuff. Just as Elon said Q3 numbers would be down, when they were actually down...the stock lowered.

Reactions: thx1139
History has shown that we should worry about the stock when Elon is overly optimistic and pumping the stock. He didn’t today, so we’re good.

BTW: Elons story about 20% credit card interest rates is a US fenomenon. In Europe we mostly use debit cards, and credit cards are payed off every month.
I have found the best way to deal with credit cards is to pay them off a couple of times a week.

Can what is going on with Tesla possibly be summed up as follows?

1. Elon's more recent foray into politics has had an asymmetrically negative impact on demand, turning off a significant portion of the subset of buyers that are more open to buying an EV as their next car, meaning that more of Tesla's volume must come from non-early adopter types.
  2. These non-early adopter, mass-market consumers are more resistant to buying an EV for various reasons, to the point of price inelasticity. (See the recent surveys that have been published on this topic.)
  3. Elon and Tesla are conflating the cause for this demand weakness with high interest rates. They attempt to address it by dropping prices, but the buyers they are trying to lure are more put off by their misperceptions with EVs than they are by price, making the price cuts relatively ineffective.
  4. At the same time, Tesla is not undertaking the type of educational campaign that could actually make inroads with these mass market consumers.