Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So META beat on estimates. Are we seeing the SP plummet 10%? Just wondering if that's a trend or just applies to TSLA.
I don't know META well, but earnings are one component reflecting what has already happened and the other component is guidance around what will be coming up -- META is guiding higher revenue than was expected going into earnings.

I think analysts etc would say the expectation for TSLA going into Q2 earnings was guiding no further price cuts, and the production line pause (however short) was probably not expected

That's it in a nutshell. TSLA didn't tank in aftermarket until they gave the guidance for Q3 possibly being less production than Q2. The market did not like hearing that.
Well...lets take a step back here. Would we all have cheered a +/- 5% move after Q2 earnings and Elon not saying less production? only to have Tesla not meet P/D for Q3 and go down slowly week after week and then take a bigger 💩 after Q3 earnings? I think they did the right move by announcing the downtime after the big runup. It's only a matter of time before we get to the $300 level and new 52 wk high.

This also gives the surprise to the upside, although we all know that the Anal lyst's will move the goal posts as needed.

I don't know META well, but earnings are one component reflecting what has already happened and the other component is guidance around what will be coming up -- META is guiding higher revenue than was expected going into earnings.

I think analysts etc would say the expectation for TSLA going into Q2 earnings was guiding no further price cuts, and the production line pause (however short) was probably not expected
Except that analyst expectations for Q3 deliveries weren't that much higher than what Tesla actually delivered for Q2 and any analyst that can do simple numbers can deduce that because Tesla decided to stuff inventory so much, they can still easily beat expectations for deliveries for Q3 even 1-2 weeks of factory shutdowns.

This is once again, Wall St just choosing to be selective on what they hear

That's it in a nutshell. TSLA didn't tank in aftermarket until they gave the guidance for Q3 possibly being less production than Q2. The market did not like hearing that.
The market and all people tracking the market on tsla should be canceling their cybertruck reservations en masse. This is financial advice.

Maybe elon isn't quite as careless on earnings calls as he seems?
Be honest, none of us rushed out to sell our shares because there will be A Q3 shutdown to UPGRADE the lines. It didn't affect us one bit, but it does rattle the short term traders who are always in and out of the stock. Elon makes it clear he likes INVESTORS but not traders. I used to occasionally sell some tesla stock, then get back in, but eventually learned from bitter experience to just buy and hold. Over time, the number of us long term HODL investors may well grow, and bring some stability.

It says everything about the difference between trading and investing, that us investors are excited about the shutdown, because we know its highland, and that this will mean higher production at lower cost... and the traders who cannot think past the next week who see it as a reason to dump the stock.

Next week is August. Highland week perhaps. Let the highlanders memes begin.

Except that analyst expectations for Q3 deliveries weren't that much higher than what Tesla actually delivered for Q2 and any analyst that can do simple numbers can deduce that because Tesla decided to stuff inventory so much, they can still easily beat expectations for deliveries for Q3 even 1-2 weeks of factory shutdowns.

This is once again, Wall St just choosing to be selective on what they hear
Please elaborate on how Tesla decided to stuff inventory. It seems to me they are selling vehicles as soon as they find buyers, not intentionally building inventory. I've had multiple text messages from Tesla advisors in the past month trying to sell a Model S to me.

Good video about the glass in a Tesla. Please note that someone who knows what they are talking about calls it "laminated" NOT double paned. Neither the word "double" nor the word "pane" were used at any point in the video.

At 0:43 “what you have here is a glass outer and a glass inner…a glass sandwich” (or two pieces of glass, with a laminate interior, aka double pane).

Please elaborate on how Tesla decided to stuff inventory. It seems to me they are selling vehicles as soon as they find buyers, not intentionally building inventory. I've had multiple text messages from Tesla advisors in the past month trying to sell a Model S to me.
Multiple Text and voice calls to me as well. I guess they were serious about avenues of advertising :)

At 0:43 “what you have here is a glass outer and a glass inner…a glass sandwich” (or two pieces of glass, with a laminate interior, aka double pane).
Double Pane specifically refers to a configuration with an air gap (maintaned by spacers and sealed so that air can't get in or out). There is no air gap between the layers in a car window.

A house window can be double or triple pane because you have a thick wall to insert it into and the air gaps aren't an issue for space and are a plus for insulation.

A car window could be double pane but I've never seen one by any car manufacturer ever.

So yes, there are two layers of glass in a Tesla car window, but no they are NOT "double pane" glass windows.

Single-vs-Double-Pane-Windows.jpg

Double Pane specifically refers to a configuration with an air gap (maintaned by spacers and sealed so that air can't get in or out). There is no air gap between the layers in a car window.

A house window can be double or triple pane because you have a thick wall to insert it into and the air gaps aren't an issue for space and are a plus for insulation.

A car window could be double pane but I've never seen one by any car manufacturer ever.

So yes, there are two layers of glass in a Tesla car window, but no they are NOT "double pane" glass windows.

Single-vs-Double-Pane-Windows.jpg
Great explanation of multi pane windows compared with laminated windows that have made up windshields for many years.

A few Mercedes were made with double pane windows, though it is not common

Reactions: petit_bateau
I participated in the 2023 Bloomberg Tesla Survey and apparently I can give away free acces links. Part one is free anyway (probably because it is about Elon 😂) part 2 is very interesting and covers long term satisfaction of M3 ownership and part 3 is about FSD (haven’t read that yet).

Here’s the links if you’re interested, 7 day pass:

Enjoy

One person is making changes.

One person is reporting changes.

Not quite the same.
Yup. Well said.

I have a lot of respect for the person in the arena fighting the fight and making siesmic changes. Only he matters. The other one has some knowledge and is using that to throw potshots on the person who is doing all the hard work. I have very little respect for the so called ‘critics’.

P
I participated in the 2023 Bloomberg Tesla Survey and apparently I can give away free acces links. Part one is free anyway (probably because it is about Elon 😂) part 2 is very interesting and covers long term satisfaction of M3 ownership and part 3 is about FSD (haven’t read that yet).

Here’s the links if you’re interested, 7 day pass:

Enjoy
Part 1 is free, because the juicy tabloidish material fits the narrative Bloomberg wants to push and furthers its anti Elon agenda.

Great explanation of multi pane windows compared with laminated windows that have made up windshields for many years.

A few Mercedes were made with double pane windows, though it is not common

Weird, definitely a unique car window. It's dual pane but its a thin dual pane .08 M wide assembled so about 3", maybe an inch or so air gap?

And the inner pane is a different size than the outer pane (has to be smaller because of the curve and gap).

"All S-class W140s (92-99) have the double-paned glass with the inert gas in the middle"

So let me put it this way. If Tesla was putting double paned glass in any cars it'd be the X and S and it'd be a bullet point on the monroney sticker and be all over the web as a rare type of car glass.

Absolutely no way the Model 3 or Model Y would get such an expensive glass setup.

Laminated glass is in so many cars it's almost not worth talking about. This is why saying Dual Paned glass in a tesla is such a mistake.

Last edited:
P

Part 1 is free, because the juicy tabloidish material fits the narrative Bloomberg wants to push and furthers its anti Elon agenda.

That’s what I implied but if you want to spell it out go for it 😁

Part 2 is a 100% succes story though. Long term M3 owner satisfaction is through the roof.

IMG_6225.jpeg

That’s what I implied but if you want to spell it out go for it 😁

Part 2 is a 100% succes story though. Long term M3 owner satisfaction is through the roof.

View attachment 960107
Rented a model 3 a month ago from avis san diego. Long range M3 with max range 337 miles more than advertised-- may be ripe for another hit piece of journalism to call out Tesla for mis leading buyers.