Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“The company expects to be able to manufacture solid-state batteries for use in electric vehicles as soon as 2027”.

So, as soon as, 4 years away! And people complain about Elon’s “2 weeks”.

And you know, with that kind of qualifier, 4 years will stretch into 5, 6 or 7 years.

Anything that has an expected manufacturing date 4 years from now is not worth the brain cells to even remember, let alone worry about.
On a scale of 0 to 10, how confident are your that all the battery improvements shown on battery day will be ready by the 4th anniversary in September 2024.
I ‘d give it about a 1.

On a scale of 0 to 10, how confident are your that all the battery improvements shown on battery day will be ready by the 4th anniversary in September 2024.
I ‘d give it about a 1.
There's a world of difference between Battery day improvements, many of which are in production now, and Toyota's press releases, none of which have seen even a prototype plant. Production 4680s with dry process electrodes were torn apart, what, almost a year ago? The Kato road large pilot plant has been producing batteries for a while now. And a production plant has been in construction in Austin.

There's a world of difference between Battery day improvements, many of which are in production now, and Toyota's press releases, none of which have seen even a prototype plant. Production 4680s with dry process electrodes were torn apart, what, almost a year ago? The Kato road large pilot plant has been producing batteries for a while now. And a production plant has been in construction in Austin.
World of difference or not, the cell shown on battery day will almost certainly not be ready by September 2024. You are the one who said anything 4 years out is not worth thinking about.

World of difference or not, the cell shown on battery day will almost certainly not be ready by September 2024. You are the one who said anything 4 years out is not worth thinking about.
The cell shown on battery day being what in your mind? Because one could say it will never be in production AGAIN because they were making it and have since improved it. What are you talking about?

This does not make sense to me. You will have a 2 year old car with 70k miles remaining on the battery and drive units. You could take the difference between a new car and the used price and put it in a fund for any repairs. Have you had any warranty repairs on your M3LR anyway? If you just can’t sleep without full warranty coverage, there’s probably a (legit?) extended warranty company. But I think you would do much better self funding a warranty rather than buying new.
It’s not fun to have an idea deemed nonsensical, but you make some good points.

Only warranty repair has been for the rear window defroster. May have had to do with a sideswipe accident repair, but Tesla handled it after their certified body shop said their repair could not have caused it.

I took a religious vow in the 1980’s to never buy an extended warranty, and I’m not about to start now!

Unless Highland is dramatically improved, it certainly makes more financial sense to hold onto what I have, and just be mentally prepared for any repairs out of pocket. And continue to squirrel away money for our CyberTruck!

The answer is so obvious how could anyone get it wrong?

IMG_3956.png

It’s Mary of course.

It seems like the short sellers have paid their go-to guy to write another, his third, paper purporting to have found the reason for SUA events in Teslas.

Anyone think they have a media blitz planned to try to take advantage of this?

That original target is mentioned in the article linked by Cosmacelf and The Guardian also linked to their own 2021 article about the goal
Wayback machine says this tech started in 2017.

Toyota seems to be kickin the can. I can’t say that I blame them. The options are to make EVs at a loss like the super majority of competitors, or have a breakthrough to leapfrog many of the others. This looks like a hail Mary, 4th down.

It seems like the short sellers have paid their go-to guy to write another, his third, paper purporting to have found the reason for SUA events in Teslas.

Anyone think they have a media blitz planned to try to take advantage of this?

BS discovered exactly here.

“This causes the 12-volt system to drop voltage to near zero volts for several hundred microseconds”

Hey, anyone else notice their lights flickering when you (Edit: turn the wheel hard while stationary?)

Last edited:

“This causes the 12-volt system to drop voltage to near zero volts for several hundred microseconds”

Hey, anyone else notice their lights flickering when you punch it?
Nah it's not punching it that he claims causes it, it would be extreme power steering usage that tanks the low voltage system. So like playing racing games using the steering wheel should cause all kinds of problems...

Nah it's not punching it that he claims causes it, it would be extreme power steering usage that tanks the low voltage system. So like playing racing games using the steering wheel should cause all kinds of problems...
Ya I just caught that myself and revised it. I actually had trouble reading the whole article after the 12V power surge near zero BS.

• Funny
Reactions: ThisStockGood

How many have to be produced to be "ready"?

Texas recently celebrated their millionth battery produced.

When will Toyota have their millionth come off a production line?

This does not make sense to me. You will have a 2 year old car with 70k miles remaining on the battery and drive units. You could take the difference between a new car and the used price and put it in a fund for any repairs. Have you had any warranty repairs on your M3LR anyway? If you just can’t sleep without full warranty coverage, there’s probably a (legit?) extended warranty company. But I think you would do much better self funding a warranty rather than buying new.
Methinks he's just justifying buying a Highland... and good on him!!!

Wayback machine says this tech started in 2017.

Toyota seems to be kickin the can. I can’t say that I blame them. The options are to make EVs at a loss like the super majority of competitors, or have a breakthrough to leapfrog many of the others. This looks like a hail Mary, 4th down.
It‘s Toyotas version of fully autonomous vehicles that have been right around the corner every year since 2016

Ready is when they can scale up and produce 4680 Cybertruck and Semis at high volume.

1M cells is only about 10,000 Model Y.
Million now, and the post quoted referred to being ready in 2024, right?

That would seem to me as being well on the way to being "ready" by then.

How far along to 2027 goal is Toyota?

Hey, anyone else notice their lights flickering when you (Edit: turn the wheel hard while stationary?)
Hundreds of microseconds would likely not cause any visible change, 1 second = 1,000,000 microseconds. I'm not seeing BS.