Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree on the 2 very different processes, however, i do not think that 'automating' a wrap on the line is as easy as you think. There are so many things that go into wrapping a car if you want to make it look good with no creases, seams, etc. On top of that, you need to smooth out the wrap as well as cut the excess film perfectly. Tesla could probably figure it out, but IMO painting it would be easier, since they already have the expertise in it.
Or do an ion implant, the body is conductive. Plating options? Heat treats? Robotic wrap with laser cut?
Lots of options. I’ll swag for heat treated in a purple tone. That would be worth hiding.

The first rule of this is post is "DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE"
The second rule of this is post is "DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE"
View attachment 946798
This has value here but there is no need to get me or you banned.
I can ask where's the best place for a company to be on this graph? Seems unless you're trying to "use" politics to sell your cars, then being neutral would be best? Neutral ought to give you access to the greatest potential buyers?

Or do an ion implant, the body is conductive. Plating options? Heat treats? Robotic wrap with laser cut?
Lots of options. I’ll swag for heat treated in a purple tone. That would be worth hiding.
Agreed. Wraps? No. Been there, done that; too fragile to last long on any truck, let alone CT. My thought is how about a reverse 3D printed design of the customer's choosing; i.e. an automated, laser guided engraving process? Each one truly original and unique.

OK I know; very off topic. Now back to the Red-Green Show. :oops:

France wants Tesla to build gigafactory in country-minister​

Potential price increases in China coming.

IMG_3848.jpeg

I went on one last sabbatical trip and now have a day job again. I’m alive but won’t be posting as often. SpaceX interview for Starlink production engineering did not get past first round, so I’m back at Boeing instead. Might try to move into electric plane R&D in a couple years since Tesla is taking forever to make their own.
So @Gigapress, were you competing with the 14 year-old who just got an engineering job at SpaceX? I really find it hard to believe you didn't get past the first round!

You're definitely one of our Supermen! Glad to see you posting again!

Painting a car vs wrapping a car are two very different processes. It would be much easier to wrap the CT on the line than paint it,
Unlikely. Paintshops are expensive, but automated. A wrap is a one-off installed by humans hands requiring significant dexterity, very difficult to automate.

and Elon has alluded to possible color offerings for the CT in time.
I think you're reading what you want to hear into what Elon said. He said CT could be wrapped, not that Tesla would provide wraps. This is an obvious 3rd-party task, that avoids any OEM warranty issues.

We also know Austin has been hiring people for the "CT paint line", which is odd since the CT is not getting painted.
Lots of painted metal parts inside the car. It's the exterior bodywork that will be unpainted stainless.

Just pontificating, but that camouflaged CT was very likely sporting a wrap from someone...YMMV. :cool:
I have no doubt folks will wrap their Cybertrucks. I have significant doubts that Tesla will wrap Cybertrucks, whether at the factory or otherwise. This is a natural 3rd-party product.

Difficult to imagine how electric vehicles would outmatch diesel in such a scenario. Perhaps there could be some mobile fast charger that enables better overall efficiency or has greater flexibility in fuel sources than is possible for individual vehicles.

Cost isn't everything...but I remember hearing that the effective diesel cost in a war zone was something like $400 dollars per gallon. I think that was probably more than 10 years ago, and probably related to Afghanistan or Iraq. Additionally, there are a whole bunch of people at risk every time a tanker of fuel has to drive out to the war zone with a protection detail.

If, for example, you only had to haul out a system of solar panels and batteries once to a forward operating base, then the savings (in both $ and human risk) could be considerable.

Obviously, tons more considerations and logistics that would need to be worked out...and it's not going to work for ALL of the needed vehicles. But, if any of those vehicles can reasonably be swapped to electric, then there could be some advantages, cost savings, and human risk reduction.

Unless they're doing something weird like only building white interior cars in CA and not Texas, why remove an option they were building anyway and is profitable?
I'm pretty sure that the white interior is currently only on Fremont built Model Ys.

And given that they have now removed the white option from the only variant that is exclusively built at GigaTexas that would make me think that there is enough demand for black interior Model Y AWDs, and that they aren't planning to add white interior production to GigaTexas anytime soon.

I do wonder why that is, it doesn't seem like it would be a big deal, but maybe there is a shortage of the white material?

• Informative
Reactions: JusRelax
This seems odd?

Unless they're doing something weird like only building white interior cars in CA and not Texas, why remove an option they were building anyway and is profitable?

$2,750 for more range or
$1,000 for white trim/ seats
AWD is also listed as a month later for delivery

Incentivizing an upgrade?
Tweaking used cars toward lower maintenance interior?
4680 structural pack general assembly (front seats) line simplification?