Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UBS:

upload_2019-4-15_14-26-30.png

Here's two problems with that. Let's say you have statistics saying that AP is 10 times safer than a human driver.

1. Except it's not. If you have a human behind the wheel, who can decide when to intervene, or not enable the system at all, then it's not AP's safety, it's the safety of a combined AP+human system.

2. Even if that wasn't the true, you have massive data biases in your system. For example, the largest concentration of Teslas in the US are by far in California, esp. cities like LA and SF. So let's say your data says that AP is 10 times safer than a human driver. It might be 15 times safer than a human in said cities, but 100 times more dangerous than a human in Podunk, Idaho. Is it okay to kill off the population of Podunk? If someone wants to drive to Podunk, does their car warn them that it sucks at driving near Podunk? Does it just geofence off Podunk - "Sorry, you can't go there"? Who decides what gets geofenced off? How do you think Podunkians would respond to reporters and legislators after hearing that this system that keeps killing people near their city just got approved to be driverless? Or contrarily to the news that they've been geofenced off, cutting traffic to their town? How do you think the media would play up the story - would they focus on the "15 times safer than a human in LA and SF" aspect, or would they focus on the "100 times deadlier than a human in Podunk" aspect? Do I even need to ask that? How do you think the fear factor about automated driving among the general public would be affected by a wave of stories with titles like "AP keeps driving people off cliffs in Podunk - is a road near you a deathtrap for AP as well?" How likely do you think parents would be to let their children be self-driven after reading such stories?

AP needs to be better than a human on public roads everywhere. General "X times safer than a human" stats include a number of biases - the biggest being the simple fact that you have a human deciding when they think it's safe to turn on and when they think it's not good enough.
Everyone knows Podunk is in Iowa! :)

Anyone else think Tesla might release the Tesla Network app at the Autonomy event?
It shouldn't take a huge amount of resources to put together a beta app, and it would help to add some substance to Tesla's ambitions, similar to their move to not allow end of lease purchases of Model 3.
It is perfect timing to release a direct Uber/Lyft competitor app in between Lyft and Uber IPOs.

If released the app would most likely be just for show with no use until Tesla actually delivers on full autonomy, but there is also a possibility Tesla could announce imminent launch of an actual Uber competitor with human drivers for now.

Obviously there would not yet be a huge number of current Tesla owners willing to drive for Tesla network, so it would lack the critical mass of Uber/Lyft and would have to be pre-booked trips only in limited cities and subject to availability. Could definitely charge a premium to Uber/Lyft though, and would probably be profitable for Tesla given they would not spend on marketing/driver acquisition costs. Tesla would also be able to start building its Tesla Network fleet and leasing the cars to current Uber/Lyft drivers to join the Tesla network. At the end of each quarter, all excess unsold inventory could be moved to this fleet. Could even make Tesla Network a human supervised geofenced autonomous service similar to Waymo's Phoenix fleet to begin with.

A Tesla ride hailing service could also be utilised for Tesla's test drive program, which Elon seemed to show interest in on Twitter. In fact, this twitter suggestion, together with all the Lyft/Uber IPO hype could well have pushed Elon to accelerate Tesla Network launch. Would be such an Elon move to say to his software team, "right everyone, we are launching an ride sharing app and ride sharing service in 3 months maybe, 6 months definitely, get working".

Can we have a Tesla n/w with FSD -- without full approval by the Govt? I think not.

Tsla should invite fleet sales with discount to supercharging rates .. yes old school thinking in the era of FSD .. but that could interest some 3rd parties ...

Surprise to FSD demo might be a cross-country run that ends with the cars self driving to FSD demo though ..

Anyone else think Tesla might release the Tesla Network app at the Autonomy event?
It shouldn't take a huge amount of resources to put together a beta app, and it would help to add some substance to Tesla's ambitions, similar to their move to not allow end of lease purchases of Model 3.
It is perfect timing to release a direct Uber/Lyft competitor app in between Lyft and Uber IPOs.

If released the app would most likely be just for show with no use until Tesla actually delivers on full autonomy, but there is also a possibility Tesla could announce imminent launch of an actual Uber competitor with human drivers for now.

Been thinking about that exact same thing. Will be interesting to see what happens.

The fella lands rocket boosters in a synchronized pirouette. I have a feeling he will make you 500k cars next year even if mom Maye has to make them in her basement.

Cheers to all.

Oh, we are way past that. The question now is what is the value assigned to the cars and not the number of cars produced. This fella said the value should be 5-10 times more than the current prices. He also made me add more to my position.

sub-buzz-19649-1508268058-9.png

Oh, we are way past that. The question now is what is the value assigned to the cars and not the number of cars produced. This fella said the value should be 5-10 times more than the current prices. He also made me add more to my position.

sub-buzz-19649-1508268058-9.png

You, Been bullish lately? Think I saw a comment in Super Bulls Only as well?
(Who ever get's their timing right, is gonna get the worm $$) ;)

Reactions: shlokavica22