Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Production has slowed down, Fremont is in clean up mode. Lathrope has over 100 megapacks sitting on the logistic lot.
Perhaps the slow down is to give people a break for the end of Q push. Or perhaps they are introducing highland soon, in time for the SR+ demand cliff due to the IRA credit cutting in half.

I thought "demand cliff" was buried in the same tomb as "Tesla killer"

Because Elon is dead set on making MSM dig their own grave. Tesla draws in clicks on views, however it's full of misinformation and a land mine when the owner of Twitter with over 130M followers loving to call you out. This is the chess Elon decided to play. MSM keeps falling for the trap, making themselves less and less credible to the point that people no longer trust them. It's what they get for prioritizing click traffic for real Journalism.
A bit of a catch 22 though isn't it. Can't blame someone for getting a number wrong if they are reporting on a story (The Woods report was published) and Tesla will not comment. So EVERYONE (it is all over the place) ran with the consulting study results. it's now going to be taken as fact. Just as last fall they could have maybe kept the stock from falling below $100. My feeling it's the trap EM set for himself. Then the whole "chessboard" thing is such a silly statement. Is the chess move to follow behind Ford? Ford signed a deal with CATL a few weeks ago and now Tesla announces the same deal. Is that some magnificent chess move?

Tesla has done a lot of things well. Being agile on chip shortages, focusing on manufacturing cars (giga casting, in house chips and software, battery management), etc. My criticism would be they did not focus enough on batteries and energy. Why are others gaining marketshare. Why are tesla solar installations now falling to 4th place? Tesla solar business is so...lackluster that it is a two edged sword to respond. The solar roof has been a failure but tesla solar as a whole has lost marketshare for 3 years. There is no "chessboard" move here. IF I were nice I'd say its been poor. The fact that Tesla is now copying Ford (and the CT is a reaction to the ford lightning) on battery provisioning is...troubling. It could mean that the 4680 investment and efforts are about to be leapfrogged by someone that put nothing into battery research and development. Maybe not...not sure but that is surely one way to read today's announcement.

Tesla shouldn't have bothered to comment. The Tesla solar panel install marketshare is the really telling number and it is not good.

Someone has been taking too many Stellantis crazy pills.

Which is it, Carlos?

Ooh, maybe he means to go asteroid mining with a new space company, Stellaris... :p

Cheers to the Loopers!

Last edited:
A bit of a catch 22 though isn't it. Can't blame someone for getting a number wrong if they are reporting on a story (The Woods report was published) and Tesla will not comment. So EVERYONE (it is all over the place) ran with the consulting study results. it's now going to be taken as fact. Just as last fall they could have maybe kept the stock from falling below $100. My feeling it's the trap EM set for himself. Then the whole "chessboard" thing is such a silly statement. Is the chess move to follow behind Ford? Ford signed a deal with CATL a few weeks ago and now Tesla announces the same deal. Is that some magnificent chess move?

Tesla has done a lot of things well. Being agile on chip shortages, focusing on manufacturing cars (giga casting, in house chips and software, battery management), etc. My criticism would be they did not focus enough on batteries and energy. Why are others gaining marketshare. Why are tesla solar installations now falling to 4th place? Tesla solar business is so...lackluster that it is a two edged sword to respond. The solar roof has been a failure but tesla solar as a whole has lost marketshare for 3 years. There is no "chessboard" move here. IF I were nice I'd say its been poor. The fact that Tesla is now copying Ford (and the CT is a reaction to the ford lightning) on battery provisioning is...troubling. It could mean that the 4680 investment and efforts are about to be leapfrogged by someone that put nothing into battery research and development. Maybe not...not sure but that is surely one way to read today's announcement.

Tesla shouldn't have bothered to comment. The Tesla solar panel install marketshare is the really telling number and it is not good.
There are so many strawmen arguments in here I don't even know how to stay on topic.

Production has slowed down, Fremont is in clean up mode. Lathrope has over 100 megapacks sitting on the logistic lot.
Perhaps the slow down is to give people a break for the end of Q push. Or perhaps they are introducing highland soon, in time for the SR+ demand cliff due to the IRA credit cutting in half.

Still a 2 year wait on a megapack. Could just be waiting on trucks (we pull our hair out on trucking) or that the project required 100 units or something. For the next 18 months I can't see Tesla having any issues shipping megapacks. In fact I look forward to that in 2 years so we can get a better deal on storage. For now just too expensive.

Reactions: navguy12 and mongo
A bit of a catch 22 though isn't it. Can't blame someone for getting a number wrong if they are reporting on a story (The Woods report was published) and Tesla will not comment.
WAIT. If a study says "OMGZ only ONE solar roof has been installed anywhere since 2016!!!" and Tesla won't respond to you, do you go ahead and publish that obvious garbage?

LK has a track record of writing overwhelmingly negative (and uniformly incorrect) articles about Tesla. She isn't going to hesitate to format a study like that into an article, and to some people, publication by CNBC makes it real. Does not mean that LK is "innocent" - she ought to be able to evaluate 3,000 roofs as suspicious, or call some installers or something. I mean let's say she calls five installers and they all say (for the sake of simplicity) "gee, we have prolly installed about 800 roofs since we started doing that" - the 3,000 number is out the window.

Looks like she did none of that, assembled a bunch of largely irrelevant historical factoids (as per her usual M.O.) about Solar City & Tesla Solar Roof so that there was enough to make it look like a large article, and published.

WAIT. If a study says "OMGZ only ONE solar roof has been installed anywhere since 2016!!!" and Tesla won't respond to you, do you go ahead and publish that obvious garbage?

LK has a track record of writing overwhelmingly negative (and uniformly incorrect) articles about Tesla. She isn't going to hesitate to format a study like that into an article, and to some people, publication by CNBC makes it real. Does not mean that LK is "innocent" - she ought to be able to evaluate 3,000 roofs as suspicious, or call some installers or something. I mean let's say she calls five installers and they all say (for the sake of simplicity) "gee, we have prolly installed about 800 roofs since we started doing that" - the 3,000 number is out the window.

Looks like she did none of that, assembled a bunch of largely irrelevant historical factoids (as per her usual M.O.) about Solar City & Tesla Solar Roof so that there was enough to make it look like a large article, and published.
3000 solar roofs is in the range of plausible.
Tesla’s non specific response should tell you that. What is a “large margin” ? 20%, 50%, 10,000%.
If the article was off by 50% and Tesla had actually installed 4500 solar roofs, would that change the main point of the article ?

Tesla’s response is too vague to base serious discussion on.

She asked a fair question. Tesla didn't respond because they dont have a PR dept. This story is front page on PV Mag and many other eco friendly press center pubs. The consulting company should have been shot down before publication. Regardless of what the real number is it's free press for Teslas competitors. Which all brings back a great question...why are these things so so expensive and hard to get into the market. This is a market that is literally there for the taking. Where the powerwall has been the gold standard of retail home battery storage.
It’s not the responsibility of a company to confirm numbers so journalists can publish accurate information. They are under no obligation to do so. On the contrary, it is precisely the responsibility of journalists to verify and confirm their information before publishing it, or don’t publish it at all. If info cannot be confirmed, at the very least it should be presented as conjecture, not fact. Lora presents conjecture in her stories as fact. That’s her fault, not Tesla’s.

Last edited:
The research from Wood Mackenzie appears to be compiled by a young individual named Max Issokson.

If people on social media don’t care to wonder what the actual number is, then discussing it seems like kind of a moot point. Go to the Twitter comments and most of it is super toxic stuff and personal attacks like people asking how this person (Max) is employed, where these fake numbers come from, etc. Imagine having your work subjected to this.

People truly are the worst examples of themselves on this form of media.

3000 solar roofs is in the range of plausible.
Tesla’s non specific response should tell you that. What is a “large margin” ? 20%, 50%, 10,000%.
If the article was off by 50% and Tesla had actually installed 4500 solar roofs, would that change the main point of the article ?

Tesla’s response is too vague to base serious discussion on.
Gosh wasn't there a ruling somewhere...that Tesla is not allowed to publish material information such as production and delivery numbers on Twitter?

For someone who has been witching this dance with the media FUD on Tesla since 2013, the best option for Tesla is not to respond to any queries from the Media.

There was a time when they had a PR department and they did diligently respond. But every response only fawned more FUD and more negative news, or the journalist will simply look for a different negative angle. At the end of the day these presstitutes are looking for hit pieces. Let them write crap. Public has completely tuned out of media noise. They look to Twitter to what Musk & Tesla says and the other Tesla events.

Last edited:
Gosh wasn't there a ruling somewhere...that Tesla is not allowed to publish material information such as production and delivery numbers on Twitter?
Tesla has no problem telling us GigaBerlin just hit 5000 a week on Twitter or that cumulative vehicle production just hit a certain milestone. They’ ve even announced DBE milestones on Twitter. I’d say cumulative solar roofs is a lot less important

LK has a track record of writing overwhelmingly negative (and uniformly incorrect) articles about Tesla
She wrote an article on a fire in a parking lot in NJ and blamed it on Tesla Supercharger equipment. Turns out the fire marshal report says it started in an adjacent structure well away from the Tesla equipment and spread.

It was brought to her attention, but she never corrected it. Not convinced? Twitter to the rescue.

She wrote an article on a fire in a parking lot in NJ and blamed it on Tesla Supercharger equipment. Turns out the fire marshal report says it started in an adjacent structure well away from the Tesla equipment and spread.

It was brought to her attention, but she never corrected it. Not convinced? Twitter to the rescue.

A Tesla turned me into a newt!

I got better...

For someone wo has been witching this dance with the media FUD on Tesla since 2013, the best option for Tesla is not to respond to any queries from the Media.
A vacuum gets filled one way or another. If Tesla would respond with facts FUD would have a lot less traction. Instead lack of data from Tesla makes it look as if the company is hiding something.