Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He was not stupid, just malicious. Got handed his head on a plate..Elon: remember how many flip phones there were, how many remain...and how multiple models are simply variations of the same vehicle.. equally bad
Thinking he was saying this was another Apple-like Company in many ways, but poor comparison cost wise.

Elon: “Why have variation for the sake of variation?” Interesting point.

Sure, I like the looks of a painted plane, but if it weighs an extra 1,200 pounds and increases my ticket cost, not so much.

Tesla AI training will increase 100x within 2 years. Elon: "People aren't appreciating how big a deal this is". UH, yes, yes I do appreciate it! This alone should bring FSD into line with reality. That and V4 hardware of course (especially a newer FSD in car computer).

Also, bi-directional charging to all vehicles within 2 years. Frankly, I don't care about V2G which is what Elon keeps going on about. Much more interesting is V2L to power things while camping, on a job site, or as temporary backup power during a storm.

There is hope we will see Model 2 before the Mexican factory is built consider Elon didn't even answer that part of that question. Poor guy, none of his questions were answered!

Also, I would have loved to hear Elon answer the specific question of whether ChatGPT technology will help with the Teslabot, but the guy asking that question didn't know what he was asking and completely mangled the question which allowed Elon to answer a different question, which was his standard doom and gloom AI is going to screw us over royally. Sigh.

1) Training data has a spectrum of value based on how much of it is pulled / saved / still relevant in the future. We know Tesla doesn't save every mile (only for certain disengagements and active situations/objects they're looking for), so that's just a hype/puff number. While Waymo/Cruise don't collect as many miles on an absolute basis, the type of data they get through their (wildly over-sensored) cars is significantly higher quality than Tesla. And they're only focused on small cities, so who cares if it's 1/100th of the "miles" if all those miles are specific to SF capturing more scenarios with a more March of 9s focus than Tesla?

2) That guy at the end was the real hero, asking the basic questions literally everyone here was looking for at the start of today. I can probably point out 50+ posts on TMC alone for that.

3) I wish Rob Maurer asked questions. Sigh, what a missed opportunity from him.

Reactions: replicant
Yes - not having V2G is a bummer. Why pay $30k for a 26 kWh storage system when the car has > 75 kWh already ...

First, I would hope that one of the 2023 energy products under sheets they teased is a more affordable Powerwall (maybe with LFP).

Second, I think Elon is approaching this mainly from a utility-scale perspective. Static storage is only useful to the grid if it's static. V2G might be useful for an individual, but when the grid really needs the energy (like in the event of a catastrophic meteorological event), they cannot afford for that extra capacity to literally unplug and drive off.

Anybody watch the new Mandalorian season. Is it worth paying for?

Episode 1 was fantastic. You can tell it has the green light for unlimited budget and is the anchor show of the entire Star Wars universe now. It's a family show so it's not like Game of Thrones, but if you accept it for what it is then yah it's a blast.

Elon: “Why have variation for the sake of variation?” Interesting point.
I’m sure the other automakers turned a backflip when they heard Musk say this.

“Finally, we have an opening!!”

And I’m all over it. Tesla can be the generic car produced in the millions while other companies chase down the niche markets.

1677722453439.jpeg

I don’t get the concern about unpluging your car. First, it only applies during power outages, not for daily usage to avoid using the grid during peak hours. Second, most households in the US have multiple cars, so no big deal to leave one of them plugged in when the grid power is out.

GSP
Ok, agree, was a weak point. It would have been nice to have for those who have no solar/battery. They admitted it was just not the priority. So lazy, right? /s
Meanwhile, I believe their priorities are excellent. Lower costs, create infinite demand, replace ICE.

Reactions: wipster
How is your X going to supply power to your home? Unless Tesla makes a hardware change to your X that allows this, it's not going to be possible. We have an X and it would be great if this was possible but I just don't see it happening.
I still don't understand why someone hasn't developed something like a dynamometer, but one that generates electricity from the car's spinning wheels. Is that design just too inefficient?

My biggest takeaways:
  • Fully sustainable future is doable, and less than the cost of keeping the current status quo ($10T vs. $14T)
  • Tesla is so far ahead of everyone else, and continuing to accelerate away from them
  • Tesla has so many different areas of deep knowledge and expertise
  • Tesla management team seemed really capable and able to carry on without Elon
  • Everybody has the same focus: sustainable future, as fast as possible, and reducing costs is paramount to getting there
This really seems like what the old Bell Labs used to be. The excellent results of a bunch of engineers, who are able to do great things without MBAs, management consultants, marketing gurus, and bean counters getting in the way, or "adding value". The bonus with Tesla is they all have the same "higher purpose" mission of sustainable energy!

I personally have never felt more conviction in my investment and company as I have right now. That the stock is going lower is a gift, allowing me to continue to add more as fast as I can. And this is assuming autonomy never happens. Can't even imagine if that gets solved...

I’m sure the other automakers turned a backflip when they heard Musk say this.

“Finally, we have an opening!!”

And I’m all over it. Tesla can be the generic car produced in the millions while other companies chase down the niche markets.

View attachment 912814

Accessories, huge market. Colors, maybe some tail fins like the Buick. Shelby says huh, what? Chariot wheel spikes for some, or a front shovel for cybertuck in Canada.

… hang on, my powerwall just notified me of a storm, lol.

I still don't understand why someone hasn't developed something like a dynamometer, but one that generates electricity from the car's spinning wheels. Is that design just too inefficient?
It would be inefficient and put extra wear on the drivetrain. Better/safer to have the connection at the hubs rather than the tires, but still inefficient and wearing on the driveline. Far, far better to pull directly from the battery.

I think I expected too much from this Investor Day.

I was looking for more details on HOW they plan to meet the goals we already knew about, but a lot of this event was a rehash for us who are knowledgeable about the company. There was not a lot of new information here. They teased HVAC yet again but no info. They teased Gen3 but not many details, we still don't have a name for it. Highland wasn't mentioned at all.

A few details were nice. CT and all future vehicles are 48v, Mexico will make Gen3, 4680 production is improving.

Ah well, maybe Elon will spell out MP3 more clearly later on, with more details.

Ya all are saying Wall street is the reason for TSLA dropping now. I see it completely the opposite. The guy with 20 shares not seeing a $25k super car is getting his tuition money back.
A guy with 20 shares tuition money has the ability to sell 2 and a half hours after market close ?
I don't think so! Please, tell me how to get such trading privilege, because my broker will not give me such authority, even though I have a lot more than 20 shares...

Also, I would have loved to hear Elon answer the specific question of whether ChatGPT technology will help with the Teslabot, but the guy asking that question didn't know what he was asking and completely mangled the question which allowed Elon to answer a different question, which was his standard doom and gloom AI is going to screw us over royally. Sigh.
Elon and Tesla are not going to use ChatGPT. The current version of ChatGPT was built for social engineering. It's dangerous and should be discarded with prejudice.