Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright, let me clarify and rephrase then: I am certainly no expert on safety and have never claimed to be one, all I know is that I have read that Cybertruck cannot be sold in the EU now as it does not currently fulfil EU regulations and that in the EU, emphasis is put on passive protection of vulnerable road users, including energy absorbing structures. In my layman opinion, it is reasonable to assume that a very heavy steel car may have problems meeting these requirements, but I am happy to be proven to have erroneously jumped to that conclusion. For those interested in Euro NCAP testing, some information here Lower Leg Impact | Euro NCAP

Passenger cars and light trucks are not the same. The Cybertruck is a light truck. Not a small passenger car.

A couple of things stood out for me:

"cathode is that it is made of molybdenum phosphide, which is abundant and inexpensive" - molybdenum is not that cheap, it is 3x the cost of Cobalt, or particularly abundant (less than 2x production of Cobalt). Apparently there in increased demand from the steel industry, and producers are really struggling to increase output.

"they developed a lightweight polymer-ceramic composite" - does not sound easy or cheap to make.

"One key problem with using Li2O at room temperature is that the transition state — Li2O2 –would rather donate its electrons back to oxygen. How do the researchers keep that from happening when by definition there is lots of oxygen available? They freely admit they don’t fully understand the process yet" - Lots of theoretical work still to do.

The actual paper this is based on is in Science https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abq1347

Looking at the suplementary material (I don't have access to the actual paper) the production processes they used are costly in energy and time, they would have to be completely changed for mass production.
Based on AAAS member comments, (the parent of Science is the American Academy for the Advancement of Science,I am a member) it seems that there appears to be high probability that these processes can be made both economical and practical. As usual with scientific advance, production at scale is an engineering problem, not scientific. I rather suspect most of us have high respect for Tesla engineering.

This does establish, if it can be replicated, of course, that broad based widely diverse applications can be practical. Before this such things as long range aircraft, ships and others might not be possible, just he stuff of science fiction. Once this has been replicated by others, the truly giant efforts would begin very quickly.

This is really different than most other approaches because the science is clear enough that engineering can begin, once these results have been replicated by others. Given their funding sources the commercial applications will not be impeded over much by patent issues.

Finally, Tesla/SpaceX have certainly been well aware of this and have been examining the possibilities. In my very humble opinion, given the evidence suggested abundance becomes a minor issue simple because of the enormous efficiency offered, so the total resource requirements would be a tiny fraction of those used in the current best practice.

Further discussion belongs in a different thread. For this one the lesson I believe is appropriate is that the growth we all assume will be limited by scarce materials mining, refining and recycling. Despite the scarcity of, for example, molybdenum phosphate and the novel manufacturing challenges, this or other similarly beneficial solutions will happen within a few years. Given the worldwide efforts I think we'll see li-ion technologies replaced within a decade.

Once all the debates have happened, endless threads have been filled and scientific efforts worldwide develop cheap and efficient alternatives the lesson is that we are only a couple decades away from renewable dominance, whether this is the Holy Grail or not.

For those who want to wade deeply AAAS membership is not expensive nor restrictive:

Personal opinion of course, but I think the Rivian looks like a bad toy with those headlights.
As I've said before....

800px-Mr._Krabs.svg.png

(incidentally, saw my first Rivian SUV the other day)

There seems to be a consensus here, and elsewhere, that when the Fed stops raising rates, they will start lowering them. I don’t believe so. We are just getting back to typical rates in a healthy economy. They will just hold the normal range with small adjustments as they used to. Hopeful, the Fed has learned their lesson from zero interest rates. If they desire to break inflation beyond what has happened, it will take Volker type rates. Even then, the economy did better not worse as they broke stagflation.

Short sellers lose money everyday until they take profit as they are hammered with interest. And if any short actually shorted the stock at 150 2 years ago and the stock ran up to 400, that short seller most likely got squeezed out 9.9 times out of 10 as the person have lost almost 2x their money.

That's just for Retail short sellers, who are forced to play by the actual rules. Whereas, any two* Options Market Makers can simply play 'hot potato', swapping their naked shorts (on which they play no interest since these shares do not exist and thus have no payee). Then, if they eventually do create a fail-to-deliver (FTD report expected to be filed only after 14 days), they can simply move those shares to a satellite exchange like Toronto TSX where the FTDs are nolonger reported to FINRA.

TL;dr It's a rigged game, Retail is fleeced on the long and the short side by MMs+Hedgies

P.S. *last I heard, their were 28 registered entitities making a market for TSLA Options

Last edited:
Along with this, the total number of new Model Y's availalbe in inventory across the US is SEVEN vehicles now. #NoDemand

View attachment 904378
This needs to continue being the case after whatever happens with the IRA tax incentives when the Treasury provides guidance, but so far the price cuts + tax incentives are working their magic domestically. It's not that there will ever be no demand, the question is what is the demand at what price.

European inventory looks far too high but who knows what those numbers represent in terms of physical vehicles. But Europe is being hit worse by inflation etc than North America.

That's just for Retail short sellers, who are forced to play by the actual rules. Whereas, any two Options Market Makers can simply play 'hot potato', swapping their naked shorts (on which they play no interest since these shares do not exist and thus have no payee). Then, if they eventually do create a fail-to-deliver (FTD report expected to be filed only after 14 days), they can simply move those shares to a satellite exchange like Toronto TSX where the FTDs are nolonger reported to FINRA.

TL;dr It's a rigged game, Retail is fleeced on the long and the short side by MMs+Hedgies
...and we wonder why many of us still think they can consistently win in this game.☠️

There seems to be a consensus here, and elsewhere, that when the Fed stops raising rates, they will start lowering them. I don’t believe so. We are just getting back to typical rates in a healthy economy. They will just hold the normal range with small adjustments as they used to. Hopeful, the Fed has learned their lesson from zero interest rates. If they desire to break inflation beyond what has happened, it will take Volker type rates. Even then, the economy did better not worse as they broke stagflation.

Interest rates will stay high for years. Inflation is projected to go down to around 4-5% in 2024, still a far cry from the targeted 2%. I do expect economic numbers to get worse later this year.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Stormy24