Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can corroborate…that is in fact the first thing I said to @ZeApelido. The next thing was “The memes are great but your informative posts are so good.”

Also at our Los Angeles meetup the day prior, we decided that whenever TSLA finally hits a new record and reaches $420 per share we will assemble the forum in Las Vegas for an All-Time High TSLA Investor Summit. Attendance will be mandatory with absences excused only for island/mountain real estate acquisitions.

So...do we all finally become friends on this forum once TSLA reaches $420?

So...do we all finally become friends on this forum once TSLA reaches $420?
I’m pretty sure at 420 we’re supposed to smoke a bowl. Isn’t that why it’s called the All TMC High?

Not a suggestion or meant to imply this is what Gigapress’s event might be about. Just making a play on words.

Last edited:
Thank you, @Papafox for this post and your daily TSLA recap.

How would this look if naked short selling were illegal? In layman's terms. Thanks.

Let's be clear: Naked short selling IS against the law. It's just that Options Market Maker's were granted an exemption to the prohibition against naked shorting (selling a share w/o 1st locating and borrowing one).
This exemption is now widely abused by hedge funds (many of whom also hold Options MM status) by circumventing the 'uptick rule' on days when the SP has plunged ↓10% vs the previous Closing SP.

The online broker IB was recently fined $5M by FINRA for naked shorting. Unfortunately, that's not even a slap on the wrist for a large brokerage, many of whom are trading volumes of $trillions per year.

Interactive Brokers Fined $5.5 Million for Naked Short Selling Violations | WSJ (Jan 17, 2023)

INFO: @Papafox

Did I miss the conversation on the bomb dropped in this Jeff Dahn video about 4680 progress?

"going from wet to dry electrode"

"bringing that equipment up to mass-production scale"

"those challenges are virtually now overcome"

at 51 min. Since it's from October, he must be oversimplifying what their progress is...

I'm not 100% sure, but I suspect that the Cathode plant at Austin is going to allow DBE for high nickel cathodes, or produce high nickel cathodes via some other means. I expect a step change in the 4680 production ramp when it is online, otherwise they would not bother building it.

The switch to research Sodium is interesting, it is > 50% funded by Tesla, but 3 teams at Dalhousie University rather than just Jeff's team, Dalhousie might just have a general brief to develop new types of batteries as they see fit.

The work Jeff was doing on extending the longevity if high nickel batteries seems complete they have a battery which lasts 16,000 cycles and that is good enough. Extending the longevity of LFP is complete, or taking a back seat to Sodium.

They are aiming for raw materials at 100 PMM for the Sodium battery. enough to 10X the volume of Lithium batteries that can be made. Whether this is simply a Dalhousie target, or if Elon and Tesla have had any input is hard to say.

Tesla don't seem to need any help from Dalhousie with any aspect of 4680 production.

Last edited:
It was just meant as a low-level pun, not a serious suggestion.

I don’t “smoke” at all, and would never pressure others to do so. I’ve updated the above post a bit to perhaps clarify.

No worries, though I do take a good chunk of the stuff here on this forum seriously except the past few years. It becomes more real once you meet people offline too. The forum has been a valuable source of info for my investment decisions in TSLA over the years!

No worries, though I do take a good chunk of the stuff here on this forum seriously except the past few years. It becomes more real once you meet people offline too. The forum has been a valuable source of info for my investment decisions in TSLA over the years!
I take a lot of what is said here seriously.

I’m just not a serious person by nature. When someone uses the numbers 420 and phrase All Time High it’s about the lowest of low hanging fruit dangling off the pun-tree.

I take a lot of what is said here seriously.

I’m just not a serious person by nature. When someone uses the numbers 420 and phrase All Time High it’s about the lowest of low hanging fruit dangling off the pun-tree.

Well, that's the beauty of internet forums. You don't know who's reading...especially in public forums.

For example - maybe you're talking to a person that survived through self-harm for multiples years and dealt with a tragic loss of sanity for ~a decade while trying to leverage TSLA (and other investments) in order to be financially sustainable in his life...and reading/posting here in order to survive and thrive in his own life after a pretty excellent early start to his tech career.

In that scenario, maybe that person might be a little more serious about what people write here than the average poster?

This post reminded me to put up some Tesla investor-related files from the recent
"funding secured" lawsuit.

On the stand, Elon favorably mentioned Ron Baron as one of best investors around.
The context was that he often had Elon's ear and bugged him to tweet less, pleading with
him to instead "If something really upsets you, go for a walk around the factory.
Get an ice cream cone. Just don't use Twitter."

This quote about the ice cream cone did make it out to mainstream media like The Guardian,
but here is the actual email from Ron Baron, admitted as evidence into the court record:

It was sent weeks before the immortal "funding secured" missive, now indelibly etched into
both securities law and Tesla shareholder culture.

Oh yeah, while on the subject of Ron Baron, thanks to the TMC search button and member CLK350 here,
my attention was brought to the Baron/Musk interview, and the factoid that Mr. Baron made his early money
driving an ice cream truck (or ICE cream truck, thanx for pun CLK350!) -- maybe this was a subconscious
influence on his email. [...continued...]
What a tragedy that Elon chose to ignore the advice in that letter. It was absolutely spot on.

Much respect for Ron Baron.

Tsla 60 minute chart looks poised for takeoff
60E2AFD6-D283-4D4B-83AA-30DB7921EC07.png

Bottom line: charts aside, burden of proof that TSLA will not be the single best performing stock over next decade is on bears
As far as I am concerned, bulls have already won the game
Last time I checked over the last 2 years the bears have still won and haven't actually lost money if they held the short.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves and start saying this will be the single best performing stock over the next decade.

I can corroborate…that is in fact the first thing I said to @ZeApelido. The next thing was “The memes are great but your informative posts are so good.”

Also at our Los Angeles meetup the day prior, we decided that whenever TSLA finally hits a new record and reaches $420 per share we will assemble the forum in Las Vegas for an All-Time High TSLA Investor Summit. Attendance will be mandatory with absences excused only for island/mountain real estate acquisitions.
I'm there, so long as I get to ride the LV Loop with some of you clowns.
Would that make us, I dunno, driving in the clown car? Is that a Tesla Thing now?

Yah maybe. We have run into it corresponded with many who would never consider buying a Tesla because of the association with Elon Musk. But the would consider holding their noses and charging their non Teslas at superchargers.

Personally I think the cons out way the pros of opening the network but it’s not a big deal either way for me as long as it’s done right. I think Tesla will lose car sales but maybe maybe gain some fame and a few bucks in charging fees. Meh.

The Supercharger Network is one of Tesla's most valuable assets in terms of being able to leverage it to create more future car sales. And the best way to do that is to increase the user base to make an increasing number of out-of-the way Supercharger locations economically viable. The value of the network multiplies several-fold if it's everywhere a user might want it to be and the best way to achieve that is with more users.

The way this leverages the network to create more sales is by only opening up a portion of the network to non-Tesla. If a non-Tesla likes using the Supercharger network but 25% of the locations show up on their screen as "Tesla only" then it creates a powerful incentive for the next car purchase to be a Tesla.

This is a pretty basic strategy of giving non-customers a taste of what it's like to have Supercharger access, while not giving them the entire experience until they make their next vehicle a Tesla. Tesla has invested many millions of dollars building the best and biggest fast charging network, using their own funds, while legacy auto wasted their money on Superbowl ads. How's that's going work out for them when their customers go to Tesla for most of their DC fast charging needs.