Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(I haven't gone through a lot of posts on this thread since a while, so the topic might have been covered already)
Are you seeing unusually very high number of M3, and MY purchases after the incentive, especially the latest ($7.5k) incentive?

In SF BayArea, people I know of who never were planning to buy a Tesla bought Model Y.
In the case of one, several (~5) neighbors bought similarly.
In the case of another, ~5 of his friends bought, 2-3 of them had ID 4 orders, they cancelled those orders and bought MY. One drove 400 miles to pick one.
Another one in that network is considering buying one tomorrow.
None of them ever owned cars/vehicles that are >40k.

Know of another in NW who bought. His buddy drove ~300miles to get his today. This guy who drove 300miles had an order 3k below current price, declined his VIN when the incentive was $3750. After incentive changed to $7500, he started calling Tesla daily asking if he can get a VIN assigned, and he didn't get one. And, yesterday after the IRA guidelines came, and MY 5-seater's weren't going to be eligible for credit, he repeatedly reached out to Tesla asking any VIN in inventory in surrounding cities, had to pick a color he wasn't keen on, and it was 300 miles away.

I wonder if this is what's happening across the US.
And hopefully there were a lot of vehicles in various locations across US with the way vehicles were shipped in Q3.
Are you guys seeing these in your network?
If this is happening across US (and maybe to some extent in EU), wouldn't this lead to a huge beat in deliveries, especially given there was a lot of inventory end of Q3.
I am NOT trying to hype things before the event. In fact, I am one who over years was wishing folks here not hype things as much as is done, followed by disappointment (even in instances when Tesla does a great job)

Just created this list of likely achievements / events by Tesla in 2023.

Did I miss anything?
Tesla 2023 1.jpg

Just created this list of likely achievements / events by Tesla in 2023.

Did I miss anything?
View attachment 890705
Great stuff - some investor stuff that may not fit your list:

Tax credit
Deferred FSD profits
Moody upgrade
Master Plan 3
Cyberquad
V4 SC
H/W 4.0
ASS
DOJO goes fully live
Optimus prototype
Buyback

Last edited:
Been thinking about this IRA mess...
Tesla needs to decide how they want to achieve eligibility, as doing nothing is really NOT an option...
1. They can decide to lower MSRP to fit under $55K limit. Note that MY LR AWD was $50K for the second half of 2020. This choice would be an issue for performance MY.

2. They can decide to tweak the non-7-seater hardware to allow eligibility to $80K limit. Multiple choices here, increase GVWR with new springs or add air suspension to allow greater height as needed.

I think Tesla would have satisfactory margins with option 1, but not the 30% we've gotten accustomed to. Option 2 seems more likely, but higher prices for the hardware changes don't necessarily help with demand as Giga Austin ramps. Maybe Tesla straddles both options somehow. Offering the RWD LR would be a quick solution while they work the suspension options that allow $80K limit.
Adding air suspension would allow Tesla to maintain high prices. I kind of remember Elon saying long ago that the air suspension would come to the Model Y (maybe in an interview), but the only thing I can find is just the opposite:

It looks like they are really pulling out all the stops to get deliveries from Fremont.

"NEWS: New drone video from Tesla's Fremont factory tonight shows that for the first time ever Tesla has converted their south employee parking lot to accommodate hundreds of new Teslas for local delivery for an end of the quarter push."

It looks like they are really pulling out all the stops to get deliveries from Fremont.

"NEWS: New drone video from Tesla's Fremont factory tonight shows that for the first time ever Tesla has converted their south employee parking lot to accommodate hundreds of new Teslas for local delivery for an end of the quarter push."

Clearly, Tesla is incapable of independant initiative w/o Musk at the helm, or preferrably, sleeping in the stern. "Musk is Tesla, Tesla is Musk". /s

hi-oh.gif

Adding air suspension would allow Tesla to maintain high prices. I kind of remember Elon saying long ago that the air suspension would come to the Model Y (maybe in an interview), but the only thing I can find is just the opposite:
I think Munro guessed this from his teardown, as he found brackets with no use that could be consistent with being there for a future pressure tank.

But if Elon denies I would go with that, technically making provisions for air does not make it so - probably for other reasons than ‘not possible’.

Yup, it's been planned an in the works literally for years. All Tesla has to do is start production. Any bets on when? ;)

Elon Musk on Twitter: "No plans to introduce air suspension on Model 3 at this time… " | Aug 12, 2019

Model Y E27: Rear Suspension, Signs of Air Suspension to Come, and Rear EDM Summary | Munro Live Apr 28, 2020

Tesla Model 3/Y air suspension resurfaces in latest firmware update - Drive Tesla Canada | Oct 7, 2021

Haha, hundreds... In Berlin they rented an airport parking lot for thousands of cars ;)

The twitter comments, after ignoring the useless posts, are actually pretty useful and some make good points.
Basically, to summarize,

1. This could be preplanned. Not sure if this is a blackout period, but some claim it is. If that’s the case, would likely be preplanned.

2. He could do this in order to cash out the value.

A more bullish interpretation is that exercising when SP is low is most tax efficient. But if this was preplanned then that might just be a coincidence.

I don’t know. I’m just not ready to get excited about this just yet for those reasons.
Drew had his salary as stock options vest and then exercised and sold them as part of a 10b5-1 plan SEC FORM 4

Zach had his salary as stock options vest and held them.SEC FORM 4