Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back to concrete matters:
Modern concrete is much less durable (with respect to time) than ancient concrete (although much stronger... including actually having meaningful tensile strength, vs. ancient unreinforced concrete which had basically none). Non-pozzolanic mixes are more chemically active and permeable, while the rebar inside is basically a timebomb; as the cement absorbs CO2 from the air (basically turning back to limestone), its pH drops; when the pH at the rebar drops too much, the steel no longer maintains a passivation layer, quickly rusts, expands in size dramatically, and the concrete spalls out. For a typical concrete structure, that may be 50-150 years or so. Only things like dams, where the concrete is so thick that CO2 will never realistically penetrate all the way through, can last for thousands of years.

In my house I'm using a mix of basalt fibre rebar and stainless rebar (wanted to go all basalt but they had to use stainless in areas of shear stress). Should easily last for many hundreds if not thousands of years. No home will ever have a lower environmental footprint than one that doesn't have to be rebuilt once every 50-100 years...

But yeah, Tesla has bigger fish to fry with a project like GF3. The faster they're operational, the more they'll help make the world a cleaner place.
The exceedingly talented but somewhat excentric water colorist Lars Lerin got over his shyness a few years ago and went sober, so he let a TV team film the renovation of the old house he got. Foundations were ripped out under the floor and new ones put in. He told the builder crew not to be too finicky with it: "It doesn't have to last for 100 years you know -- one can't be sure to survive that long!" :D

Do look up his work, he is really one unearthly artist. When he felt crowded by an invasion of relatives he withdrew to a shed for weeks and painted a hyper realistic full scale replica of a wall of bookshelves full with binders and books, 10 or 20 meters wide. Truly a weird feeling to stand beside it at his own museum Sandudden in Karlstad, which is full of his works, big and small. Well worth a detour, as Guide Michelin used to say. Indeed, a trip! :)

OT:
Of course not. They come from Belgium. It’s a actually ‘frenched’ fries. And Danish, is everywhere in Europe (except the Nordic countries apparently) called ‘Viennoise’, which is French (the language, not the way to cut fries) for ‘from Vienna’.

OT
Just don’t order “Frites American” in Belgium (literally “American fries”), or else you’ll get ground beef tartar (ie raw ground beef). Can you explain that one to me, Nico?

Hope we get deliveries soon rather than waiting until tomorrow or Wednesday...

*** standing on the duck! ***

If results are good it is better to get them tomorrow before the bell, rather than today after hours. Interestingly that SX will be down YOY, and it will be spun negatively, can the M3 surprise make it up.

Keep in mind that SX down YOY, but way more profitable because most are 100D models.

Dang, Norway and Netherlands are killing it. Ireland/UK, you are dead to me. I'm glad my ancestors left. (well, the Irish ones, feeling good about the Scandinavian/German ones right now)

Pffft. Next you will tell me that French Fries don't come from France.
Nope. From Belgium.

(Edit: ok, was just trying to catch-up, many beat me to it)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nocturnal
I've verified all numbers from mrdoubleb who put in a lot of work to find good sources for them all. Hand of applause for him please!

The big unknowns outstanding are Germany and Switzerland. Should they scale like Norway, then we will end up around 20k. At the worst they scale like the Netherlands and we'll end up somewhere at 18-19k. Together with the good news show about the Model 3 there is the really bad news show on the S/X. Cutting out the 75kWh model hurt, a lot. Now that there are once more 'reasonably priced' S/X models available, sales should resume back to normal level, with the exception of The Netherlands which isn't showing a lot of recovery after the fiscal cliff yet.

PS. In Q1, the first boat for Europe left on Jan 11th. It seems reasonable to expect the same?

Tesla as a tree with shorts trying to rip it out.
giphy.gif

Can anyone confirm 1005 is the M3 total for Sweden in Q1? I didn’t see any Jan/Feb sales, but it may have just been missing data. Thanks!

Currently at 11,675 Model 3 deliveries confirmed from just 6 European countries. Still looking for data from a bunch of countries— Germany being the biggest.

In February there was only one M3 registered in Sweden - on the last day of February. There were some regulatory issues, it took some time to clear this issues.

Can anyone confirm 1005 is the M3 total for Sweden in Q1? I didn’t see any Jan/Feb sales, but it may have just been missing data. Thanks!

Currently at 11,675 Model 3 deliveries confirmed from just 6 European countries. Still looking for data from a bunch of countries— Germany being the biggest.
Data from Sweden is here: bilsweden
This page that also show pre-registrations: car.info
No deliveries in January and February because of mishaps and lots of deliveries intended for March have been pushed to April.