Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought the majority of the questions during the call today were good. The one from Dan Levy about Tesla's mission for affordable sustainable transportation vs industry leading margins and profits and pricing was fair. While I think most here understand the alternative of lowering prices and margins is bad for everyone because the product backlog is already approaching 1 year at these high prices, imagine the customer experience of waiting 2 or more years if they reduced prices.

Anyway, my thought after that question is how long before the anti Tesla media (most media) goes after Tesla with the greed narrative questioning "how dare they", and point to Tesla's record high margins while their compassionate altruistic legacy competitors settle for pennies....all to elicit their negative narrative? Mark my words, it's coming...
Tesla is philanthropy

Nothing like +10% premarket with a cup of coffee in the morning:
1650545260503.png

BUT, traffic would then become a nightmare. Yes, robotaxis will reduce the number of cars in the world, but there will be way more cars on the road at any given place and time if it’s cheaper than mass transport.
I'd be curious to see the net impact on congestion. More miles driven for sure (not more cars in total) but also fewer accidents, fewer people randomly swerving on a highway (causing a small backup for hours at this spot) etc.

Looks as if the analyst Garrett Nelson tries to value Tesla like a traditional auto manufacturer building seasonality into his model.
He has $4.11 EPS for Q4 2023 and then for the next 3 quarters he has lower numbers of $3.22, $3.65 and $3.84. How would this be possible for Tesla?
FYI: Where he has $15.25 GAAP EPS for 2024, I have $33.69 (more than double his number).

View attachment 796083
He and the rest of them should just keep doing it this way. I’m not interested in seeing a SP plummet because they are as equally bad modeling but from the other side by always over estimating.

Carry on being wrong to our advantage. Yes, it can delay the SP but we wouldn’t know what to do with ourselves if TSLA was always accurately priced. Some would have nothing to complain about, there’d be no need of an accountant, and I’d have to stop being smug when being proven right over and over again. Yeah, that sounds awful. Carry on Garrett.

Yes there was contrary to a previous reply. Zack specifically said that supercharger build out had already accelerated recently and would continue to accelerate.

and you can see this in numbers in the quarterly report.

View attachment 796027
I posted on Tuesday to the Supercharger thread.
Tesla set records for stations/connectors for any Q1 in North America (but not overall):

Supercharger data through Q1 2022 for North America. Record number of new locations and stalls for any Q1.
(Disclaimer: data was pulled from supercharge.info, which is not official data from Tesla)

New locations per quarter
1650379364531.png

New stalls per quarter
1650379399836.png

The clever part is where those 2170s are coming from, my guess:-
  • Some Model 3s out of Fremont using LFP packs.
  • Panasonic possibly making more 2170s at GF Nevada
  • Energy storage Powerpack, Megapack, now using LFP - (the really clever part).

The 2022 Q1 'deck' published yesterday says that Giga-Austin will soon be able to make both 4680 and 2170 cell based cars. Since (so far as I know, anyway) Austin is not making Model 3, that implies 2170 into Model Y. If the Model Y SR+ model continues to use 4680, then it sounds like the Model Y LR is destined to get 2170 in Austin during the ramp.

Couldn’t make the call and will catch up tomorrow. Was their any discussion on accelerating Supercharger buildout?

Yes, they said they are accelerating the buildout of new Superchargers to accommodate both the rapid growth of the Tesla fleet and also the planned opening of the network to non-Tesla EV's, both in Europe and the US. I don't think they mentioned China specifically but, obviously, that will continue it's expansion as well.

This morning I read an article that presented Ford as a threat to Tesla in the EV space and claimed Ford "maintained" a network of 70K chargers in the US. Can you believe it? They actually tried to make people think a large, supposedly reputable company like Ford actually maintained this mish-mash of third-party chargers dotting the country. The media has zero shame, they would rather push a false narrative.

Yes there was contrary to a previous reply. Zack specifically said that supercharger build out had already accelerated recently and would continue to accelerate.

and you can see this in numbers in the quarterly report.

View attachment 796027
Contrary to what was said on the call, it looks like the rate of supercharger growth is not accelerating at all. If anything, it is decelerating a bit:

New Stations
Q2 2021: 267
Q3 2021: 288
Q4 2021: 222
Q1 2022: 248

New Connectors
Q2 2021: 2385
Q3 2021: 2381
Q4 2021: 2217
Q1 2022: 2159