Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, the other barrier to people choosing a robotaxi over a bus, as Elon said is a bus carries ~5x more people per lane-space than a car. Where are all the single-user robotaxis going to fit on the roads??
Probably better than the number of buses that would be required. Cities have tried variations of punishing individual cars (Vancouver is the one I'm familiar with) and it turns out that there aren't enough downtown street miles to hold all the buses that would be required for their plan to work. They had to back off of the car punishment plan because buses only was unworkable compared to a mix of cars and buses. The Boring Company's tunnels have the potential to change this. Buses and transit just won't work in North America in most places because the distances are too great and the population density is too low.

The robotaxi has to drive 5x as much as one of the 5 cars it’s replacing, so in a perfect world the traffic would be the same. But then the robotaxi has to drive a little farther unoccupied to get to the next pickup location, so really there would be more traffic.
Driving to the next pickup location would generally be against the major traffic flow, so although there would be a few more miles driven, the congestion would not increase.

I'm astounded by the number of posters who are discouraged by the lack of new products this year. This is an environment where both capital and supplies are scarce. A good and smart business should focus on what it does best in order to utilize scarce resources as efficiently as possible. If you think new products are going to help the stock price, you're wrong. If the Fed raise rates and tighten or if Elon suddenly leaves Tesla for says, medical reasons, it's not going to be the number of products in production that will save the stock. It's going to be high EPS and low PE that the street looks at. This "product roadmap" will achieve just that.

I expect this to have the same impact as car pooling. e.g. a minuscule amount. There are just too many barriers such as work locations vs home locations, work start times (if everyone starts at the same time, they will have to start much earlier to get everyone to work on time, and work end times. No one can have a job where they sometimes work late. The idea of private car ownership is that you can go anytime in privacy and there is no limit on flexibility. Robotaxi might work if the taxi always arrives within five minutes of the request, and have no no-shows the way Uber does.
Uber most certainly does have no shows. I've been there. In Loudoun county. The only time I tried Uber. Once I finally got a ride it was fine but it took a long time to get a ride and 2 canceled. Bad traffic days. Traffic in most urban areas has enourrmass inconsistency. I don't know how you can guarantee a working parent that they'll be at daycare on time if you miss the pickup. Will Tesla pay the late charge to the daycare?

How will that work? Working parents? Is that just a no go? Car seats and what not just a lot of trouble.

I don't get the obsession some have with the $25k car. If Tesla is already selling everything they can make at maximum production capacity, why should they produce lower margin variants rather than the higher margin ones? Either case advances the mission about the same. Isn't this the *investor's* thread?

If there comes a time when they have more capacity, I'd like to see the CT, semi, and even roadster. If demand for those and existing model variations can saturate Tesla's production capacity into 2024, I'm all for that. In the meantime, manufacturing at capacity with fewer models is a great thing.
The premise that less expensive equals lower margin is not in evidence in Tesla's case. Model Y is more profitable than is Model 3 because Model Y is less expensive to manufacture than is Model 3, as has been repeatedly said by several Tesla people including Elon. Exacerbating the situation is that Model y has higher ASP.

In the hypothetical case of the 'now debunked by Elon' small car, the new technologies and the Tesla Bot (now named Optimus) could combine with, say, BYD Blade structural packs to allow very high margins, even more so with Performance models.

Elon says this is not being planned. FWIW, the previously strongly implied 12 passenger van for the Boring Company etc has not even been discussed recently.

HOWEVER: There are design teams and design facilities being put in place in Shanghai and Grüneheide. What will they do if not new models.

In my very humble option there still will be new Models in both places. They just will follow Semi, Cybertruck and Roadster so will probably happen in late 2023 or 2024. Elon did say what we all know is true: There is no point in introducing new models when they are severely constrained by chips already. They did NOT say that a major reason for slow rollout of Model X refresh was lack of chips; what is the most chip-intensive model in Tesla's current offerings?

We should all be well aware that a major contribution to the TSLA 2021 results was optimization of chip deployment to the highest margin vehicles. For reference just check the wait times for orders during the last year. Faster deliveries were for the highest margin vehicles, with greatest emphasis on those that were easiest to deploy. Entirely in retrospect, Model Y has had inordinate attention and Model S Plaid has diffused that concentration to some degree.

It is no accident that both Berlin and Austin are producing Model Y, that the scarce 4680's are going to Austin until other 4680 producers come on line.
As we already know CATL, LG and Panasonic are all building 4680 lines to complement the Tesla ones in Kato Road, Shanghai, Austin and Grüneheide. Interestingly they said on the call that 4680's would NOT be LFP. Therefore CATL is nearly certain to produce both cell to pack LFP and also 4680s' in anther chemistry. Elon said he expected to have chip problems resolved in 2022 to early 2023 after which they would be cell constrained;
Thus we can infer that 2023 will have not only huge automotive growth but also truly massive TE growth, that also was explicit.

Now our problem is to quantify all that 4680 supply for ~2023. Here is what we seem to know plus a couple informed guesses:
CATL 80 gWh Adjacent to Tesla Shanghai (already producing and delivering CATL Cell to Pack LFP, appear to be planning for 4680 structural Cell to
Pack in that factory. My unconfirmed speculation is that they'll expand to produce the 4680's while also continuing the LFP.
Panasonic 10 gWh As announced to be built in Japan for 2023 production of ,10 gWh. If they cannot commit to more than that it will be surprising. I call it 10
LG 10 gWh As announced but...newly public they'll really want more of Tesla so I think this will grow before opening.
Kato Road. 10 gWh. Present stated capacity. Of course that will rise by 2023.
GF Berlin. ~ 50 gWh They are building a large footprint there with multi-story so we can expect very compact fabrication. My guess.
GF Austin. ~ 50 gWh
2023 total ~210gWh
Obviously this is mostly guesswork, but I think there is good justification for the assumptions. Each of these could very well rise substantially.
IN 2023 the vehicle demand for 4680's alone could be as much as 2,000,000 which at 80kWh per vehicles would consume 160 gWh alone. Of course Models S and X, Roadster, Cybertruck and Semi will use a multiple of that, and probably a majority of vehicles produced then will use LFP as will most TE products. Thus that calculation is only to illustrate the scale being planned.

My personal view is that the combination of Optimus, 4680, Gigapresses and new factories are about to combine to deliver a virtuous cycle unlike we have seen. The Elon perpetual bleating about Robotaxi may or may not happen. In any event the Optimus solution uses the same technology, but within carefully designed parameters and with known and limited edge cases.

We have been offered a clear statement of the near future, obscured by the distraction of FSD.
If I have suddenly missed amaro impediments please advise.

2023 logical possibility for 4680 use:

Cybertruck. 150 kWh x 200,000. 30 gWh
Semi 400 kWh x 15,000. 6 gWh
Model Y Lr+P. 90 kWh x 250,000. 22.5 gWh
Roadster. 250 kWh x 5,000. 1.2. gWh
Models S & X 100 kWh x. 20,000. 2 gWh
Total 61.7 gWh

That uses less than a third of the expected 2023 available production. First, the 4680 supply will still be ramping so there probably will only be around half that installed capacity actually available in 2023. Second, those production and kWh estimates may well be low. Third, and most important, these are all speculations so who actually knows? Specifically it si plausible to use more cell supply to produce much longer ranges than have been seen thus. That is an obvious advantage in mountains, incline weather, long haul trucking and...Germany!

So IANAME (not a Mech Eng) but if that structural battery pack is providing any structure....it begs the question as to a car made without one vs one made with the structural battery pack. Would you have to get a different certification on safety? Where is the structure coming from to replace the engineered aspects of the structural battery pack. Sandy Munro and team discussed this in some detail in one show and I took it to mean that it was providing value to the entire body. I would not think that's something you'd just easily dispense with but what do I know. IANAME. Dual casting and 4680 structural battery packs (any structural battery pack) seem to offer tremendous advantages in assembly, fit, and long term reduction in service.
@petit_bateau corrected be that the current frame design between 4680 Austin and 2170 Berlin is different.
It can still be the case that a stamped front, non-structural LFP prismatic pack is higher margin than a cast front, structural 4680 LFP version.
Definitely true that it generates more profit if your 4680 cell supply is exhausted or not yet established.

The wording had been if required they would use it, they designed a fall back. It was dependent on 4680 production coming online. In the transcript they say...no 4680 constraints. But Berlin was designed to use 4680 structural and can fall back to something else. If anything less there is a constraint somewhere. Either they have or don't have enough 4680s.
My read is that chips are constraining more than cells are. Were chip shortages not in play, the 4680s would be the bottleneck. However, that 4680 production ramp may have been slowed to reduce cost because they knew chips would hold them back anyway.
I also think there was a major switch a while ago from Berlin being the lead in 4680 cars/ tech to Austin being first.

I, for one, am super stoked.
We are so lucky to have an honest visionary CEO and not a lying cheerleader type.

I suspect many of the less than enthusiastic responses have been for those with short term risk's.
(I share your pain as my 1/28 calls have been destroyed)

But that was YOLO play money I always knew was just a ....well, YOLO bet.

The reason we are all here (well, most of us) is because we decided to follow a company led by a man that says "let's do the really hard, yet possible stuff"
You know, the stuff everyone else won't/can't do.

HODL.

I'm happy that they didn't announce new products. Get the factories online and pumping out Ys. If Tesla says they have plenty of demand for Y even with the new production levels I'm good with that. They already owe us the CT, Semi, and Roadster. Not to mention the unnamed other project. It's not like we want another 2 vehicles announced that everyone will use as evidence of Tesla delays/incompetence.

And the SP, my short term bets are all rubbish now so I'll be reasonably happy if we stay in the 900-1100 range. I mean sure, $1500 would be nice but many of us were worried it could be far worse right now. (knock on wood)

Indeed.

I think all that CATL LFP from Shanghai has come onstream in capacity ahead of Tesla expectations. That in turn is giving a lot of 2022 production flexibility. So the sensible thing for a prod mgr is to question how best to deploy that. Perhaps - and this is my suspicion - they are switching more Fremont to LFP, freeing up 2170 to pump-prime Berlin, and that in turn allows the birthing pains of 4680 to occur once in the transition from Kato to Austin, not simultaneously at Berlin (and anyway the permits are slow at Berlin, so Tesla can also be political point-scorer for free : the message will have been understood in Germany). But with no permissions in hand for Berlin or Austin last night there are still moving pieces, so no reason to 'fess up to everything on the call.

Furthermore I think they may have 4680s in some cars in Austin, but not client-ready, or even certification-ready (because we know they are not through Austin-certification yet). And - simply because it was not said - that suggests it was Kato 4680s not Austin 4680s. So, again, I think the Austin 4680 line is not running yet. Question is, what is the yield on the Kato 4680 line ?

Yes that would explain much. Also why they launched the megapack and essentially killed the powerpack program. More battery, same chip requirements is my guess. Sill, they are sold out of megapack as well so that would really point the finger at chips I suppose.

Berlin did not even submit final paperwork til December. Which is inconceivable to me if they truly wanted to launch. I don't know how the exact permit process workflow there but lets assume the worst in which case final paperwork should have been submitted far ahead of the month you had hoped to begin production. I can't believe they are that bad at PM given how well they did with the supply crunch. Thus I can only conclude they are not ready to start in Berlin for other reasons and there was no need to push the paperwork through. They submitted only when they thought they could be ready, something like early next Q. I might be reading too much into the very late filings but I don't think I am. I think Tesla is not ready to launch Berlin. Nothing else for Berlin looks ready. If there really aren't chips aplenty and we know there are not 4680s aplenty than someone has the hind tit and that is Berlin.

We are so lucky to have an honest visionary CEO and not a lying cheerleader type.

I suspect many of the less than enthusiastic responses have been for those with short term risk's.

The reason we are all here (well, most of us) is because we decided to follow a company led by a man that says "let's do the really hard, yet possible stuff"

HODL.
The line of lying to gross exaggeration and unrealistic expectations is a grey thick line and I think EM is pushing it to the extreme on FSD. Given his track record to date on FSD his strident pronouncements last night are concerning. Far better if he'd kept his mouth shut.

The payroll tax thing hasn’t appeared in the P&L’s before? If not, what’s different about these tranches? Is it an end-of-year entry for all tranches recognized in 2021?
This would be the first time it appears and is this level of material. The payroll tax is related to Elon’s exercising of options. Each exercise results in a payroll tax (likely some sort of social security or health tax) that has to be paid by Tesla. Given Q4 was when 10 of 12 tranches were exercised, this truly is a one time material hit.

Also haven’t seen this mentioned in thread. 14.7% operating margins is already best in class. Back out the CEO SBC and the payroll tax hit, and you are over 18%. That’s nutty. If they succeed to increase production 50% JUST from Fremont and Shanghai… well that’s nutty squared. We could be staring down operating margins in the 20s by end of year.

Also not mentioned, making that final tranche “probable” means that Tesla believes it will sustain 30% auto GM so as to satisfy the final requirement for Elon’s comp package. That gives him a 1.000 batting average on all milestones and means he has unlocked the full comp package. I can’t wait to see what milestones are attached to his next package.

“Most people have no idea” - Elon Musk

Attachments

• 81086F53-4FD5-428E-9E49-C1F0253E4C24.jpeg
    81086F53-4FD5-428E-9E49-C1F0253E4C24.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 108
@petit_bateau corrected be that the current frame design between 4680 Austin and 2170 Berlin is different.
It can still be the case that a stamped front, non-structural LFP prismatic pack is higher margin than a cast front, structural 4680 LFP version.
Definitely true that it generates more profit if your 4680 cell supply is exhausted or not yet established.

My read is that chips are constraining more than cells are. Were chip shortages not in play, the 4680s would be the bottleneck. However, that 4680 production ramp may have been slowed to reduce cost because they knew chips would hold them back anyway.
I also think there was a major switch a while ago from Berlin being the lead in 4680 cars/ tech to Austin being first.
Yes it is clear that they are slow rolling Berlin. My take on the battery issue is that they are indeed highly constrained on 4680 but kept options alive for Berlin that let them use the 2170 (the more I think on this the more impressed I am at the engineering decision) so they can say they are not 4680 constrained but in fact are going to operate with lower margins and more future service needs and a poorer product. I think the dual cast & structural battery pack car is going to be a far superior car for Germany and Japan where buyers are very discriminating. Launching with less is really less than ideal. If I were in Germany I'd cancel my Y and wait a year for the chip production to catch up and hopefully the 4680 to show. Osborne in play for me. Same for me here. I canceled my Y. Waiting to be sure that Austin is making Y with those specs.

Reactions: petit_bateau
With respect to bottlenecks, I’m musing that there always is a bottleneck. By definition there is something that holds back further production (and ultimately that will be demand when everyone has a couple of Teslas.). Factories are always used with less than 100% capacity. The relevant question, I think, is, how much lower does the bottleneck cause the production/capacity ratio to be.

This thread has been tricky to keep up with with all of the thoughts everyone has shared. Some great gems of information found amongst this so thanks all for your contributions. I'd like to give a special thanks to @Sancho for his incredibly insightful and dare I say inspiring posts. I counted 3 he posted since the earnings call that made me smile and gave me that bullish AF feeling.

HODL.
You're not gonna believe this......but I hold no YOLOs for earnings this quarter. Ok, maybe I have one $920c for tomorrow in my HSA, but that doesn't count! All other leverage is in LEAPs.

Earnings are so certain now that I'll probably load up next week if we're sitting at $960 and IV has come way down. Looking at converting more shares to 2023 LEAPs, but this time OTM at $1000/$1200/$1500.

12 months from today, if SP is merely $1200 that gives us a likely PE range of 70-90(on EPS of $13-16). Annual growth for 2021 and 2022 would have been 87% and ~70-90%. Lol!

Banks can't see Elon's vision, but they can do that math. That's why the folks here need to relax. It's a new day!

I think this is important, and has been overlooked. Tesla are working on new products, significant enough to deserve their own product launch, but Elon won't tell us what they are.

Just none launching this year.

I am hopeful this is a lesson learned from the way-too-soon "introductions" of the Roadster 2, Semi, and CT-- and instead they're going to save new product announcements until they have the major production engineering already figured out, meaning no more multi-year waits between announcement and on-sale.... if so it's a definite improvement overall.

I think the fact they've already got massive backlog demand on existing products with crazy high margins, and a mountain of cash in the bank, gives them easy opportunity to do this as they no longer need flashy new intros way ahead of being ready.

I don’t think Tesla can just choose to claim the tax allowance whenever it suits them to smooth out earnings. IIRC it would be up to their auditors to agree when it meets the requirements, which I don’t think can be done from a conservative viewpoint yet.

AFAIK the only requirement is they think it more likely than not they will remain profitable going forward.

Which seems pretty darn likely to everyone but Gordon.

It's not about your nine neighbours.

It's about your 900 neighbours, who will decide that instead of driving their kids to school themselves, they just call a robocab.

And then decide that having 2 cars on the driveway is stupid, so sell one (or put one in as a robocab) and have mom drive to work in a robocab.

And then decide that the single family car is quite expensive to just park on the driveway, and sell it and then also dad uses a robocab to go to work.

We won't end up in 5 years at the last step, but it might go quicker than 20 years.

See, NYC has insane cost to owning your own car. And fantastic public transit that nearly always gets you there significantly faster. Plus a ton of cabs and ubers if you really want to be in a car.

And yet nearly 50% of the population own at least 1 car.

So this has me with a lot of trouble buying the idea 9 out of 10 folks in all the other places it's much easier and cheaper to own your own car will just stop owning cars nationwide with robotaxis.

The only thing on your list I find likely is a fair # of 2-3 car households might drop down to 1 or 2 (depending on needs and household size)

I certainly expect RTs, once common, safe, and easily available everywhere, to replace individually owned cars better than 1:1, but find all these 5:1 or 10:1 ratios pretty unrealistic...

I'd like to think this is Elon sandbagging

Really? After that earnings call we're STILL on the "ELON IS SANDBAGGING STUFF" theme?

What, that folks have claimed he was sandbagging on in the last 2 years turned out to be right?

Not Austin opening, not Berlin opening, not 4680 in production, not cybertruck production, not 25k car intro, not S/X refresh, not FSD wide rollout... so what?

Is it nothing? Because I'm pretty sure it's nothing.

Elon himself has told us he generally means exactly what he says-

Elon Musk December 21 2021 said:
I try to be very literal, generally you don't need to read between the lines, just read the lines

Yet folks keep insisting OMG 69 degree people chess secret sandbag messages!