Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD is getting better at driving on tough roads, faster than you might think:

Tesla Autopilot vs America's Most Dangerous Road | YouTube

LOL no.

As someone who has actually driven that road, more than once, and in more than one sports car, it's not at all a "tough" road when you are doing 20-25 mph as he did nearly all of it (never got above 30, occasionally dropped below 20).

The road is very clearly and well marked, with no real intersections and no lane changes- exactly the type of road that's EASY for self driving, especially at hilariously low speed.

All the accidents that happen there all the time are idiots doing 2-3 times the speed that guy was and failing to be able to handle the curves doing that.

Meanwhile I'm over here on FSDBeta 10.6.1 and it still gives up on a specific T-intersection that's traffic light controlled (well, gives up in that when I'm making the left onto the cross-road and my light turns green it tells me I need to manually push the accelerator to go-- if I do it'll auto-steer through the turn... but if I let off before the turn it done the car just stops in the middle of the intersection and sits there)

Not that it isn't improving... on easy roads with no traffic it's almost flawless now... but it still does a lot of dumb things otherwise.

Last edited:
Holy *sugar*. There are a ton of things in that bill that needed to pass. We HAVE to rebuild our roads and bridges...man this ****ing country.
The infrastructure bill already passed. This was the BBB bill which funds non-traditional infrastructure like broadband in remote areas, EV's and related charging infrastructure, etc.

Looking at the AH, I’m thinking I should have placed an even bigger order for the chairs I posted about buying / bought at $930 earlier today.

Not sure what’s driving the sudden AH spike, but gifthorse, mouth, looking etc. Congrats to the longs!

TSLA be like…

Attachments

• 82511BE7-3766-4C38-9814-6E02296F541A.gif
    82511BE7-3766-4C38-9814-6E02296F541A.gif
    3.2 MB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Exactly. Paying attention to Bob Lutz when he is praising Tesla is problematic, because then you have to pay attention to him when he is doling out criticism. IMO he simply does not understand the company or the business it's in. He has said way too many dumb things over the years.

He also, in that same FT article, compared Musk to a certain ex-POTUS, which politics aside, was the most ridiculous thing I’ve read in some time.

Could you quantify that for us with some actual data?
and try and pay attention to sunrise, dawn, clivil twilight, etc.. LMGTFY

and this last point “.US military could easily truck in solar and have it racked and producing within a day”… i was going to go with a no way, or hell no or not in this lifetime, but this is a family forum. Do you really think that USM could move in solar, “rack it and stack it:” and have it up and running, operational and producing power for a local most likely destroyed power supplier in “a day”.. Have you ever seen anything like that actually occur? I mean, I BELIEVE and think humans CAN do EXTRAORDINARY things sometimes, but bring in a bunch of solar panels, create and array, connect it all up and connect it to a broken (or even existing system?). I’m certainly not taking that bet unless some superpower is at the door.
There are ground mounted solar systems, that come pre-packaged,
That part of the process is take the panel unit of the truck, unfold it, and install it on the hopefully close to level ground.

The best surface to use in an emergency would be sports fields, or some flat and level land.

However, even for a standalone system everything needs to be wired up, the solar could probably be deployed in a day with a sufficient number of parallel teams.

Making the connections is probably done fastest using poles, they probably need at least 1 pole for every row of solar and additional poles are needed for the battery bank. Or the other way is drop a battery at the end of each row of solar and run the cables on the ground in suitable conduit..

The everything needs to be run up and tested, but again this is something that could proceed in parallel.

This system would not connect to the grid, it could provide fast charging services for EVs, Trucks and Megapacks.

So one day is remotely possible with a good plan and highly skilled team prior rehearsal and modular approach that allows parallel construction.
Getting sufficient trained people the right block of land, logistics and equipment on site and deployed in a day is a big challenge, but if they aim for a day, it is probably all up and running day 2 or day 3.

Last edited:
It is notable though that someone as staunchly anti-Tesla has come around. Doesn’t mean we need to pay him any more attention aside from noting that simple fact. I certainly won’t be subscribing to his newsletter.
Yeah, the last I had heard of Lutz was about a year or two ago when he was raving about the incredible build quality of some random Tesla he came across in a parking lot. He must realize what a fool he made of himself in previous criticisms of Tesla. He was in the industry forever though, and has plenty of interesting stories. I disagree with a whole lot of what he says, but the guy has charisma.

Reactions: GOVA
That part of the process is take the panel unit of the truck, unfold it, and install it on the hopefully close to level ground.

The best surface to use in an emergency would be sports fields, or some flat and level land.

However, even for a standalone system everything needs to be wired up, the solar could probably be deployed in a day with a sufficient number of parallel teams.

Making the connections is probably done fastest using poles, they probably need at least 1 pole for every row of solar and additional poles are needed for the battery bank. Or the other way is drop a battery at the end of each row of solar and run the cables on the ground in suitable conduit..

The everything needs to be run up and tested, but again this is something that could proceed in parallel.

This system would not connect to the grid, it could provide fast charging services for EVs, Trucks and Megapacks.

So one day is remotely possible with a good plan and highly skilled team prior rehearsal and modular approach that allows parallel construction.
Getting sufficient trained people the right block of land, logistics and equipment on site and deployed in a day is a big challenge, but if they aim for a day, it is probably all up and running day 2 or day 3.
Huh huh, he said poles..

Just imagine if Tesla had to do this...

The new software limits the Bolt's maximum state of charge to 80%, which allows customers to resume charging indoors overnight, using the car with less than 70 miles of range, and parking indoors after charging. The software is said to detect battery abnormalities.

Bolt owners can reach out to their dealers directly to get the software update.

Could you quantify that for us with some actual data?
and try and pay attention to sunrise, dawn, clivil twilight, etc.. LMGTFY

and this last point “.US military could easily truck in solar and have it racked and producing within a day”… i was going to go with a no way, or hell no or not in this lifetime, but this is a family forum. Do you really think that USM could move in solar, “rack it and stack it:” and have it up and running, operational and producing power for a local most likely destroyed power supplier in “a day”.. Have you ever seen anything like that actually occur? I mean, I BELIEVE and think humans CAN do EXTRAORDINARY things sometimes, but bring in a bunch of solar panels, create an array, connect it all up and connect it to a broken (or even existing system?). I’m certainly not taking that bet unless some superpower is at the door.
We were talking about replacing generators brought in by the feds rather than solar+storage. Certainly nothing is gonna bring the grid back up, it's completely destroyed anyway.

What you could definitely do is deploy tons and tons of solar on temporary racking in some of the farm fields immediately surrounding the town and use them to charge mobile megapacks. That could 100% be accomplished within 24hrs.

The array on my flat roof in Philly could have been installed and running within 4hrs by 3 military trained installers with military resources. Just scale that up by 1000x and you've got plenty of emergency power within 24hrs. The megapacks and any management hardware/software would be just be rolled in plug and play.

Edit to add: And my array produced plenty today, near the winter solstice. Regardless, just add as much as is needed. It's only temporary and the farmland is endless.

I did this route many times with my BMW r1200gs. Fun.

OT:

I've done it once also, in May 1984, on my Kawasaki GPz550. Nice ride, but easily handled on a mid-weight sport bike.

That was a very memorable summer of cycle touring. I did 15K km total across N. America and back in 4 mths. and 3 rear tires. :D

gpz550_3-600x448.jpg

Cheers!

What you could definitely do is deploy tons and tons of solar on temporary racking in some of the farm fields immediately surrounding the town and use them to charge mobile megapacks. That could 100% be accomplished within 24hrs.
IMHO, this ain't gonna happen

and I would add that "tons and tons" is really never accomplished in 24 hours, unless it's a full military exercise where missiles are incoming.

Edit to add: And my array produced plenty today, near the winter solstice. Regardless, just add as much as is needed. It's only temporary and the farmland is endless.
could you quantify this so we could compare to a location with no power and doing both heat, rebuild, lighting, ancillary, etc.. maybe just KwH for the day produced would be enough, I can take it from there

Given the increase in climate related disasters now happening, it would be a great idea for Elon to pick out a small team and put this together--design, manufacturing, deployment. Much needed tech, and great PR.

You know how music/food festivals are built on the fields?

I was VP Eng. of the company that provided access control, gates, and payment solutions with RFID bracelets or whatever else RFID (bracelet as a wallet). Including to some of the largest like Coachella, Tomorrowland etc.
Our part of the job on a small festival was usually done in couple to few days, and that includes all systems, servers, Gates, all payment terminals, power to every merchant, loading all menus/charge items, Wi-fi to every single terminal, and training every merchant how to use them.

These festivals get built in a week, from the empty field to a 200 merchants/tents village that hosts 10K+ people concurrently, and they get torn down in half that time...

My point, everything is possible, if there is incentive to do it...

Nonsense. Mayfield KY gets plenty of Sun and is surrounded by farmland just cleared by a series of tornadoes. US military could easily truck in solar and have it racked and producing within a day. Dozens of precharged megapacks on tailers or railcars for storage and you're up and running.
I'm in KC so similar latitude to KY. Sunday days this week I've been covering 40% of my energy usage (20-30% on cloudier days). 8-12kWh from my 8.8KW system. I'm pretty darn happy with that.

And since GM isn’t selling any EVs which qualify right now and Ford still has credits from the previous legislation, there is no incentive to make it retroactive to the first of the year.
Indeed. And making EV credits retroactive entirely misses the point, since no incentive is needed to motivate someone who has already purchased an EV.

I'm in KC so similar latitude to KY. Sunday days this week I've been covering 40% of my energy usage (20-30% on cloudier days). 8-12kWh from my 8.8KW system. I'm pretty darn happy with that.
Philly is about on par with the solar potential of where these tornadoes hit in KY, and I did 13kWh yesterday. My panels are completely covered in construction dust, oriented east/west, and the system is only 6.6kw with a 5kw inverter.

I'm confident my 20 panels oriented ideally and without dust all over them would produce nearly double in a field in Kentucky tomorrow.

Regardless again, it's doable because solar scales to effectively infinity. As do megapacks. Construction could be done in parallel, so the emergency capacity is only limited by the open space available. In this case the town impacted is w miles across and surrounded by farmland on all side for miles.

I'm a little surprised to see TMC posters not think solar + storage can't scale sadly and be deployed quickly. It's not terribly complicated and could be manufactured specifically to be plug n play.