Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, you will be happy to know that this particular problem has already been solved.

Airbnb does allow searching for EV charging (see below).

With more and more travelers wanting that feature I’m sure hosts will find ways to accommodate them (us).

View attachment 726970

I'm not sure this is a valuable feature set. We host. We put in a charger years before buying a car. Nobody found us because of this. We've charged one new owner that round us on an app and a guy that did not even bring his tesla at first that brought it when he saw the set up. But nobody from the app. And no hotels offer charging and no SC next 30 miles.

• Informative
Reactions: JusRelax and Andy O
Off topic:

I would appreciate some thoughts from others on my situation. Please do not reply here. Instead, please send a private message to me if you are willing to share your thoughts.

I'm purchasing a house and need to sell some shares for the down payment. I could take a line of credit loan from the broker. I dislike taking on more debt, but there are opinions here that tsla may run up for the remainder of this year. I realize no one knows for certain, but I'd like to read some thoughts or ideas on how best to do this. I've never sold a single share so this feels a bit wrong, even though it has been in my plan since I sold my last house in 2019 and put much of the equity into tsla.

First world problem.

Ya I did this

So you'll have to shop around several banks that have their own brokerages. Usually the brokerages that have been with you the longest and has seen your assets increase will be willing to lend you asset based mortgages. It is slightly higher than their best rate. About 0.10% on top of their best rate for me when interest rate was at the lowest point. I am still regretting only taking a 5 year term mortgage. My bank also discounted my TSLA stock capital by 50% because of how volatile it is.

Some discount banks don't offer this. So go for the big ones and ones with relationship manager assigned to you.

I finalized my mortgage around Feb this year to snipe a discounted downtown condo in the most prime area, Stonk price was around $667, now it's $1000 so the calculus back then definitely was sound. I am not sure about now as interest rate are about to rise and downtown condos prices have come back to normality.

Last edited:
Sorry, guys... original OG:
View attachment 726790

LOL doug made my 2012 date seems like a noob.
I did start reading this forum since 2011 though. But I was busy working on my very first startup that I didn't have time to sign up.

BTW any canuk earlier than me?

So far the main approach in my attempts to convince my friends that competition is not coming is to present the facts to fight the “news” that they’ve heard.

A new analogy that I have not heard before that Gary Black tweeted all of a sudden opened my eyes to a different and perhaps more convincing approach that might work better to fight the FUD that my friends believe in.

This is so simple to understand. I can only imagine a SP increase greater than the one we had this week could happen if the mass media pushed this analogy.

Edit: I am only referring to how to convince my friends and perhaps the general investors; there is no use trying to convince the diehard TSLA shorts.

Last edited:
Ya I did this

So you'll have to shop around several banks that have their own brokerages. Usually the brokerages that have been with you the longest and has seen your assets increase will be willing to lend you asset based mortgages. It is slightly higher than their best rate. About 0.10% on top of their best rate for me when interest rate was at the lowest point. I am still regretting only taking a 5 year term mortgage. My bank also discounted my TSLA stock capital by 50% because of how volatile it is.

Some discount banks don't offer this. So go for the big ones and ones with relationship manager assigned to you.

I finalized my mortgage around Feb this year to snipe a discounted downtown condo in the most prime area, Stonk price was around $667, now it's $1000 so the calculus back then definitely was sound. I am not sure about now as interest rate are about to rise and downtown condos prices have come back to normality.
Somewhat similarly, I wanted a few acres for beehives and found a 10 acre farmish like property that was more than needed but had 2 houses and a small barn. I rationlized that buying real estate was a diversification of sorts.

My retirement account (equities not IRA) was with Merrill Lynch and they were able to provide an LMA loan secured by equities and the rate tied to the London interest rates (Libor at the time) I pay interest plus a little and slowly paying it off.

I did get a margin call on it when Covid hit and had to hustle up 20k (from rainy day savings account rather than sell equity at a bottom) but RE has popped so ok with that but tense at the time.

Being a bit more diversified (20% in RE with rental income) helped me mentally over invest in Tesla in my hobby trading account which worked beyond my wildest expectations 🙂

Last edited:
You said a mouthful there. I've spent 48 hours trying to figure out why a 100,000 order by Hertz matters at all when TSLA can't fill all the orders from consumer demand as it is. What about this makes people decide now to buy TSLA? Meanwhile there seems to be a complete lack of any discussion (IRL not here, I mean) about 2 enormous factories that are about to open and essentially double production capacity of one of the fastest growing companies in the world. If anything that should have been a slow-burning catalyst for sustained buying for the last 6 months at least. I don't get this game at all. It did, however, give me the opportunity to increase my holdings this year so....thanks? It just seems impossible that I'm that much smarter than all these "professionals," but whatever. Crazy times.

Hertz has name recognition as rental car agency. Their purchase of 100k Teslas (possibly more given the Uber deal) is just explicit vetting in the minds of many. If Hertz is willing to commit this much money to add 100k Teslas to their fleet, it's a trigger for many reasons;

1. Brand recognition associated with Tesla. Tesla is still a new phenomenon, overall. Hertz has been around since 1918. It's the old guard officially welcoming the new tech in a very overt fashion. For a lot of people, this association is like being vetted by the senior brass. "This kid is a good one. I'll vouch for him." Insert your favorite movie lines here.

2. There's now a huge driver for people to rent cars just to be able to really test-drive a Tesla Model 3. Some may choose to rent over ride-sharing, or certainly over ICE vehicles. People curious about the Model 3 can just rent one and 'live' with it for a few days, so this is better than the usual test-drive. They can test the car in their garage or parking space, take it through the canyons, test the acceleration, experience the Supercharger network, and impress friends and fam.

People trust Hertz because of their longevity and ease of renting. People renting will see novelty here beyond the standard boring ICE vehicles usually on-offer. More people renting Teslas means more people buying Teslas. It's guaranteed to generate sales, and Hertz is using their own money to advertise without Tesla having to spend a dime. Of course, every rental is also a passive advertisement of the most effective kind.

3. Now, other car rental agencies need Teslas in their fleet if they hope to compete. This isn't just about Hertz, but all car rental companies and the knock-on effects of this initial salvo against ICE. It's also 100k ICE vehicles not purchased elsewhere, and people who are EV-savvy now have a way to rent a vehicle easily whilst keeping their carbon footprint as low as possible. This is also good for Tesla and other EV owners who are having a car serviced but still want to drive a Tesla in the meantime.

4. The Uber deal is big too. More customers exposed to Tesla means more Tesla buyers in the future. The cars are that good.

I'm sure I'm missing some things. We know that Tesla is supply constrained, not demand constrained....but the Hertz/Uber deal is going to generate a WHOLE lot of new customers for Tesla. This may also lead to them buying related products as well; chargers, solar, adapters, and there's the viral effect of one person in a family renting a Tesla inspiring others to investigate further, or at the very least putting to rest a lot of grass roots FUD.

Everyone I think is a test-drive away from wanting a Tesla. So, this is going to be good for Tesla and TSLA alike....and ultimately the world.

Last edited:
Also if there weren't plenty of hotels you can charge at.

As to airbnb, I just look for there being an electric dryer and plug into that usually- or failing that usually anything that isn't an apartment you can at least plug into 110v.
It's a good thing a lot of these folks didn't purchase their Teslas before the Supercharger Network was reasonably fleshed out :)

Won't someone think of the children?
You know, the children exposed by their parent's choice in rental cars to the multimedia experience that is a Tesla center display?
Scratch that... Won't someone think of the parents who will be hounded nigh unto retirement should they rent/ purchase any vehicle without such features after exposure?

Demand secured (again)

I had access to superchargers, but it was definitely inconvenient. I had to wait in line twice and go out of my way three times. With an ICE rental I would have only had to go to a gas station one time.

You still have to get permission from the homeowners, and run extension cords across sidewalks and do a bunch of monkeying around etc. The average person isn't going to want to deal with that kind of a hassle. I would do just about anything to avoid driving an ICE car, but I'm pretty sure that's not the norm.
I talk to the owners about putting in a NEMA 14-50 for charging. I've had a fair amount of success doing this. The cost is low, Almost every BEV made has a way to use the 14-50, and those who have installed one say that others have said they stay there because of the charging capability.

I'm still trying to envision accommodations that don't have any nearby cycling! It must be quite a hike in with ladders and chutes if you can't ride a bicycle nearby.
Riding a bicycle safely (means bicycle aware/friendly motorists) is a different story. Lots of areas where you "can" ride a bicycle but it's not advisable to do so.

I talk to the owners about putting in a NEMA 14-50 for charging. I've had a fair amount of success doing this. The cost is low, Almost every BEV made has a way to use the 14-50, and those who have installed one say that others have said they stay there because of the charging capability.

An important question is which plug adapters will be included with the Hertz rental, and how they will avoid the adapters going missing over time. I’m not sure 14-50 is a given.

this is new. What kind of bizarre monstrosity has a 40kWh battery and 2.5 gallon tank with ICE guts also added rather than just a 20kWh larger battery for similar range? Which variant costs more? The gas is perhaps preferable for charging and range anxiety but likely the ICE motor is underpowered. Where’s Bob Lutz during all this? Playing euchre with Pelosi I imagine.

I'm reminded of the fact that keeping an ice drivetrain guarantees more labor whereas more batteries likely does not.

If the US OEMs decide to game the EV rebate by producing hybrids, my gut feeling is it will only accelerate their demise and lower their chances of surviving the EV transition long term. The market is wanting hybrids less and less every year, so pivoting to them now would be extremely short sighted in my opinion.

If the US OEMs decide to game the EV rebate by producing hybrids, my gut feeling is it will only accelerate their demise and lower their chances of surviving the EV transition long term. The market is wanting hybrids less and less every year, so pivoting to them now would be extremely short sighted in my opinion.
I'm hopeful for this outcome too. The pure EV aspect of Tesla is starting to attract a lot more mainstream buyers, and the whole Tesla ecosystem is only going to get more compelling. Surely as more elements of the ecosystem fall into place (e.g. truly transformative FSD, in-car gaming, further improved charging infrastructure, etc) a Chevy Suburban with a token 10kwh battery would only attract buyers if it substantially undercuts the Tesla in price.

I have no doubt OEMs will embrace these halfhearted PHEVs to eke out as much profit from the internal combustion engine as possible. But I'm also pretty confident in Tesla's ability to counter that move with innovation and speed. Still annoying though.

Last edited: