Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New BBB Act language is up (and there seems to be an agreement on this language). (https://rules.house.gov/sites/democrats.rules.house.gov/files/BILLS-117HR5376RH-RCP117-17.pdf)

I read it very quickly, but seems pretty similar to before.

- Income limitations at $800k joint/$400k individual.
- Capped at MSRPS of: $55k (Car); $64k (Van); $69k (SUV); $74k (Truck)
- Effective in 2022
- Base Credit of $4000
- Additional $3500 for batteries >40kWh (and a tiny gas tank)
- Additional $4500 for domestic unionized assembly
- Additional $500 for domestic batteries
- Expires 2031
- Can be point-of-sale after 2022

Final result for Tesla: $7500-$8000 credit depending on how battery manufacture is determined for Models 3/Y/Cybertruck.

My take: A net positive for Tesla. No reason to get up in arms about union assembly -- it will be years before domestic unionized manufacturers can produce same quantities as Tesla and for now and a long while, Tesla's cost advantages are likely greater than $4500k. Plus, for now, Tesla treated the same as closest global competitors like VW.

There is also still a used EV credit of $2000 for middle income taxpayers (up to $150k joint) purchasing cars for less than $25k.

I love how Swedish Hertz is going to die on the Polestar sword...

"Currently, Hertz Sweden’s website says, “Polestar 2 is the hottest electric car on the market right now.” Polestar is a Swedish company

"Polestar sold only 10,000 vehicles in 2020"

Would expect another company to step up in Sweden: BEST Car Rental Companies in SWEDEN In 2021 - CarRental.Deals

John Doerr jumping on the Tesla bandwagon....

John Doerr on Thursday said he believes the bullish Tesla analysts are probably right and predicted the company will lead the way during the global shift to an all-electric transportation sector.

John Doerr on Thursday said he believes the bullish Tesla analysts are probably right and predicted the company will lead the way during the global shift to an all-electric transportation sector.
Um.....isn't that part already done? These guys need to catch the hell up.

I'm surprised that $4500 for unionised workers is even legal?
I suspect that it could be challenged and would hope the courts would strike it down for favoring a particular class of people over others.

It seems very non-PC in such a PC world to bundle that in there. However, should it be struck down, Biden still gets their votes for trying, right?

New BBB Act language is up (and there seems to be an agreement on this language). (https://rules.house.gov/sites/democrats.rules.house.gov/files/BILLS-117HR5376RH-RCP117-17.pdf)

I read it very quickly, but seems pretty similar to before.

- Income limitations at $800k joint/$400k individual.
- Capped at MSRPS of: $55k (Car); $64k (Van); $69k (SUV); $74k (Truck)
- Effective in 2022
- Base Credit of $4000
- Additional $3500 for batteries >40kWh (and a tiny gas tank)
- Additional $4500 for domestic unionized assembly
- Additional $500 for domestic batteries
- Expires 2031
- Can be point-of-sale after 2022

Final result for Tesla: $7500-$8000 credit depending on how battery manufacture is determined for Models 3/Y/Cybertruck.

My take: A net positive for Tesla. No reason to get up in arms about union assembly -- it will be years before domestic unionized manufacturers can produce same quantities as Tesla and for now and a long while, Tesla's cost advantages are likely greater than $4500k. Plus, for now, Tesla treated the same as closest global competitors like VW.

There is also still a used EV credit of $2000 for middle income taxpayers (up to $150k joint) purchasing cars for less than $25k.

Assuming it goes forward as written above the $ cutoffs is interesting in that Model 3 performance is excluded- but Model Y performance is not.

(of course Tesla could always cut the 3 back slightly in price and fix that if they wished)

And the base model Cybertruck becomes a screaming deal (though it remains questionable if that pricing will still exist when it comes out)

I'm surprised that $4500 for unionised workers is even legal?

Every time someone posts this I ask what law they think it would violate.

Still waiting for anyone to provide an answer.

Generally stuff related to preferential tax code treatment is viewed very very deferentially by the courts in favor of the government...we treat TONS of groups and people differently to encourage various behaviors- just to name 3 common ones-

Homeowners are taxed differently from renters.

Parents are taxed differently from the childless.

Single and married people are taxed differently.