Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Licensing FSD to VW, and others, has increased value, beyond the obvious monetary and safety benefits. Including others to help in the political realm wasn't obvious to me until the discussion about the NHTSA. Elon playing 4D chess?
Give it to VW for free for a couple years. ;) That would provide political support AND poke the GM/Stellantis/Ford cabal in the US.

i can’t but laugh a bit at all the reactions I’ve seen across the internet about this NHSTA situation. Everyone’s making it seems like the NHSTA has final authority over anything and everything.

If Tesla feels like they’re being targeted by any recall or fine, they can fight it and sue and this advisory role appointment will make this case for sueing exponentially easier. Tesla lawyers are probably rolling on the ground laughing right now. Tesla will have a mountain of data to show, NHSTA will have no data and will have to defend that they’re corrupt….the most blatant being the payments from Lidar companies since its crystal clear conflict of interest.

Will the NHSTA try to slow down or stop FSD? Most likely

Will they end up having to back down? With this revelation…..it’ll be much, much likely now

And once the NHSTA loses in court, they lose all of their leverage.

Despite that lack of response, the article itself appeared to be reasonably accurate. The software versions and vehicle-specific data were not in the article beyond that the vehicles one and three had 'different software versions' and vehicle two has FSD. The major conclusions that there should be some regulatory oversight and that use of agile techniques should still have software changes tested and documented are uncontroversial. Elon Musk has on occasion suggested as much.

Ms. Cummings is distinctly qualified for the proposed role. Specifically, she has very extensive experience with advanced aircraft control systems. In that context she absolutely knows the material between the Boeing 737 MAX MCAS (undisclosed to operators/pilots, largely untested, operated without notifying pilots) as well as the F-18. Both are excellent case studies for the development of better and fully documented control systems. The F-18, 100% fly-by-wire(FBW, is an especially relevant case: Also from aviation are another two cases from Airbus that demonstrate the risk of complacency.:
First, an airshow crash solely due to an exceedingly experienced pilot having overconfidence in the first commercial FBW aircraft:
Second, an Airbus A330 crash due to pilots ignoring pitot tube freezing:

Ms. Cummings knows very well the risks of inattention and overconfidence. She is NOT a critic of highly automated systems but she IS an advocate for careful documentation, driver monitoring and consistent timely warning of system inability to perform.

Her criticism of Tesla Autopilot is not idle nor is it ignorant. I do not believe she opposes their development and deployment. I don't even think she's anti-Tesla. She is acutely aware of both the positive and negative aspects of L2 systems including the papers invention of L2+.

Bluntly we all know these systems require careful use with diligent driver monitoring. That is what Level 2 implies, but many people do ignore the limitations and those people also get into easily preventable accidents. That in no way detracts from the obvious benefits including much lower accident rates and lower serious injuries and deaths in the Tesla systems. The dual edge of much safer but also high potential risk of inattention is quite perfectly analogous to the aircraft situations also.

She will argue for OTA updates to have rigorous vetting, and chances are high she'll argue for a formal standard for documentation. That need not even slow down OTA but it will require better release vetting and documentation. That will be "A Good Thing". It will also generate major controversy, such things are not easy.

Many may disagree but these are my views. With both FSD and FBW aircraft operation in my history, I really want better documentation, better alerting systems and driver training (maybe even some delivery-based trying would help).

Just think, please: Plaids are being delivered with ZERO instruction. When I got mine it was me who explained things to the delivery person. How can that be a good thing? I had never driven one until mine. I had read the entire manual multiple times (perhaps a residue of aircraft pilot type rating ground training habits) but I had never driven one.

How many accidents are happening because of bad training or none at all? Th spectacular ones are clearly the result of overconfidence, and ignorance can exacerbate that.

So, a does of Ms. Commings is, in my opinion, a good thing, overdue.

It's been a LONG time since I've seen a post where I've been completely disgusted by on TMC and this is one of them.

She wants to kick Elon Musk in the head and you post this?!?

Tesla's main priority is safety. If they raised the 5 point safety scale to 20 points, Tesla would dominate this. And also make everyone else look bad.

Tesla moves to 17 out of 20 and everyone else stays at 5.

Disagree is insufficient, we need a disgust button.

Last edited:
Musk will reach mars, move there with a few millions of hard-core supporters and start a direct (non-representative) democracy guided by informal illuminati that will judge themselves by Elon.

Meanwhile the old Earth will continue to rot in hate, stupidity and partial interests, including such missies and johns.

It is inevitable
"Who is John Galt?"
(I will duck now)

I was trying to vote for Tesla on the LA auto show website but none of the Teslas have a vote button for me. Is this link broken?

I've voted each category and, once voted, the "vote" button is gone. This means someone who supplied your e-mail already voted. There was no e-mail verification so it might be possible to vote multiple times simply by supplying a fake e-mail address each time (I haven't tried it though).

edit: It looks like voting is done by IP address? I used an incognito browser and a different e-mail address and my previous votes still showed up. So, maybe another family member already voted?

Last edited:
Musk will reach mars, move there with a few millions of hard-core supporters and start a direct (non-representative) democracy guided by informal illuminati that will judge themselves by Elon.

Meanwhile the old Earth will continue to rot in hate, stupidity and partial interests, including such missies and johns.

It is inevitable
Also inevitable that Mars will eventually continue down the same path as Earth because humans don't change by moving to another planet or following one man.

Don't take the disagreements personal. I for one am glad you have a dissenting opinion for me to ponder;

However, as an attorney I take a view analogous to what happens when for example a judge - even the most competent one - can be taken off a case if there is even the slightest risk/whiff of partiality.

The adage goes: "Justice must not only be done, it must also be seen to be done."

Since Ms. Cummings is taking up a position that can influence regulations regarding Tesla, there cannot be any doubt regarding her objectivity towards the subject (in this case Tesla and its software).

Therefore, her bias (which is not up for discussion I believe, the evidence is quite clear) is very much an issue in this case. This has nothing to do with her competence or knowledge of the systems under observation.

So I respectfully disagree with your opinion on this particular matter, but I thank you for expressing your viewpoint thoroughly (even with all the expected headwind you were going to receive).
The result of this view is very unsatisfactory, in that it discourages people with varied, non-governmental experience to participate in governing. It basically just entrenches a bureaucratic class that is, on the whole, not the best and brightest.

The reason why you would need to search outside for somebody with Ms. Cummings's experience is that such people are not within the bureaucracy.

Same can be said for the political class, by the way.

In any event, for better or worse, the US legal and regulatory system is very stable. Meaning that Ms. Cummings probably can't do much harm no matter how hard she tries.

OMG! I think that Jonas interview just convinced a lot of the unwashed masses that they want to be TSLA investors! He presented investing in Tesla and Elon Musk pretty much as a no-brainer. Unlike most analyst interviews this one just oozed genuine sincerity. If he was pumping TSLA for nefarious means he's a lot more talented than I thought.

Agree This was Jonas at his best. We pile on him often but he did well here.
I have a neighbor who is on television quite a bit and she has a TV persona and a neighbor persona.
This was Jonas in the neighbor persona . . . like when he said,
"Dude , you're putting a 100 tons in orbit and you're probably going to beat NASA to the moon, do you really doubt he is going to solve insurance for cars . . is that the world's hardest problem?"

The result of this view is very unsatisfactory, in that it discourages people with varied, non-governmental experience to participate in governing. It basically just entrenches a bureaucratic class that is, on the whole, not the best and brightest.

The reason why you would need to search outside for somebody with Ms. Cummings's experience is that such people are not within the bureaucracy.

Same can be said for the political class, by the way.

In any event, for better or worse, the US legal and regulatory system is very stable. Meaning that Ms. Cummings probably can't do much harm no matter how hard she tries.
You can surely find someone with the right credentials who hasn't displayed outright bias in their work. And I don't care what anyone says, she either isn't that bright, or is malicious, at least based on that research paper. An undergrad who submitted false citations would have received a failing grade. I expect more from a Duke professor.

At least they are definitely definitely scrambling to throw whatever they have at Tesla this quarter. No more mysterious people dying on FSD, no more cars exploding and never to be found… now we straight up have officials apparently “gonna get Tesla and Elon big time”. 🙄

All this is just the signs of the times we are living in. Both sides are done and they will keep digging their own holes, like always and like history is witness.

We are moving towards a new work and the only way is FORWARD! 😉

All this pathetic officials and minions will be seen as they always were, the enemy of the people and the enemy of progress.

I take all this as the most bullish sign that Tesla and Elon will succeed at their goals. 😁