Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found this article to be interesting. Are 45 nm to 90 nm chips what it holding up the traditional automakers? Autos of more recent design may have a design advantage when it comes to supply chain issues. Could this be why Tesla is able to increase production quarter after quarter? Older designs not ramping quite so quickly perhaps.

No, Tesla is not affected as much because they didn't rely on one supplier for that one particular part as they pivot to other 45nm suppliers. All of these chips are commodity products that are pennies to dollars. Tesla only use fancy 14/7nm chips for very specific applications like FSD inference or the ps5 level infotainment system as these chips are hundreds of dollars, not a dollar fifty. There are no suppliers out there that sells 14nm chip products for simple microcontroller either. Tesla just leveraged multiple companies that are selling cheap microcontroller to use in their cars while other automakers are stuck with the one company they always use.

And you have your answer to your question in your own reply.

The people talking about the 25k Tesla are mainly from US, the “low end car” area.

The thing is, if you make a 25k product that’s way better than the high end ICE products, it accelerates the transition.

Only idiots will buy the expensive lesser product. And nobody is that stupid, anywhere.
I think it’s interesting that many here consider $25k USD as a “low cost“ car. In many countries that is likely close to the median cost of a new car. My definition of a “low cost” car are the $10k-$15k USD hatchbacks that flood out of Korea and Japan every year. Note I don’t think this precludes a $25K Tesla from selling 5 million+ units annually very easily (I think that is a given).

I also think the $25k Tesla will actually expand the total addressable market for new cars in many countries where used cars are popular. Many who buy used cars will likely stretch for a new car instead for a Tesla at that price.

Welcome home Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor! With the Two Michaels now back on Canadian soil after over 1000 days detained in China on espionage charges, this along with US droping extradition case against Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou over fraud and conspiracy charges related to American sanctions against Iran, should serve well to smooth relations between China, US and Canada. It is a win-win-win. Good signal for international trade and should bode well for markets.

zki7ehcwdup71.jpg

and
1632694754357.png

from Ranked: The Top 10 EV Battery Manufacturers (on a PC that blocked the country logos).

That canal is not a river. Flood control is engineered in Lingang:

'SPONGE CITIES' ABSORB URBAN FLOODING WOES | epaper.chinadaily.com.cn

Lingang itself is build upon recovered land:

Land reclamation in China - Shanghai

It would not surprise me at all if China decides to build a deep-water port directly South of Giga Shanghai, just to ease logistics for the auto-export business.

Don't underestimate the Chinese. These people aren't afraid to move moutains, or to create new land where there was none before.
Do you know why the new area would need to to have a higher ground level than the current factory height?

Is it just soil surcharging like they needed to do at Boca Chica to stabilise the ground?

Last edited:
Do you know why the new area would need to to have a higher ground level than the current factory height?

Is it just soil surcharging of like they needed to do at Boca Chica to stabilise the ground?

We have several Civil engineers aboard, I will defer to their opinions on the matter. However, the OP's point was to compare the current earth work to the creation of a logistics parking lot. We know for certain (from WuWa's video records) that no such fill was used to create either the logistics yard on the East side of Phase 1, or the staging area East of Phase 2 which is currently in use for construction materials. IIRC, the stamping presses go in first at a new Gigafactory, and they need substantial foundations.

precompression of soft soils by surcharge preloading—some ...

http://straits-engineers.com › pub › publication_20 | PDF (4 pages)

by R Mohamad · Cited by 1 — The engineering properties of importance are the maximum past pressures σvc', compression and recompression indices Cc and Ccr, the coefficient of consolidation ...

Last edited:
One of the open questions around FSD has been: when will Tesla accept liability for accidents that happen with FSD engaged? The standard answer has been that Tesla will begin to accept liability once legal jurisdictions and regulatory bodies allow for it. But if FSD is ready before the regulations are, could Tesla take intermediate steps? This is partly a legal question, and partly a question of Tesla's confidence in FSD. I think it's relevant to TSLA investors because taking on FSD liability would be a product decision that affects valuation.

What if Tesla starts accepting responsibility for accidents that happen with FSD engaged for — and only for — customers of Tesla insurance who also maintain a good safety score? Legally FSD would still be an Advanced Driver-Assistance System (ADAS), and the driver would still be liable, but Tesla Insurance would agree to compensate the legal "driver" under certain terms. This would probably increase uptake of both Tesla Insurance and FSD.

However I see limits to this approach. Tesla Insurance could pay for repairs, fines, legal costs, and civil damages "incurred" by a customer using FSD. But what would Tesla Insurance do for an FSD-using customer whose license was suspended or who received a jail sentence for something that happened while FSD was engaged? Are there legal jurisdictions where driving infractions are civil, so this wouldn't be a problem?

What if Tesla rolls out a softer version? Tesla Insurance would waive any deductibles and limits for accidents in which FSD was engaged, as long as the customer maintains a good safety score. That doesn't address liability directly, but it's a step in the right direction. Would it be enough to boost simultaneous uptake of FSD and Tesla Insurance?

I was just about to ask: What if I crash while on Beta - does Tesla cover any of this? Is Allstate Ins OK paying for Tesla's bugs? Not for long is my forecast, but I'm not a lawyer.

What if my Insurance Company adjusts my policy and refuses to insure me when "under the influence" of FSD? And if it crashes while running a stop sign, who should get the ticket? Eventually, this will be all Tesla's responsibility, it has to, ticket and all in some form or another. Assuming that's the end-state, I would not be surprised if they start paying out FSD claims as part of proving their safety record for everyone to see in plain sight. And when people don't have to worry about FSD fender-benders, they might be more inclined to purchase FSD. The system should be closed loop to drive for perfection (so to speak).

On your other points, I don't think the passenger or their background should or will have anything to do with coverage. The human will fade from the picture in a matter of years. Change is definitely in the air.

Lol, you think a parking lot needs 5m of vertical fill? No, this is for heavy foundations. They'll need another logistics yard for the 2M Models 2 per year that Phase 3 will be cranking out by 2024-ish.

View attachment 714563

I hope by 2024 Tesla FSD can automate much of the factory-lot logistics. Would be especially nice to see new cars drive themselves to the Port, or even onto tractor-trailers.

Cheers!
No. I agree that the new area is not being prepared for a parking and logistics lot ultimately, but could be used for that temporarily. Do you not think the current logistics area will be built upon to fill the gap ?

With a factory location close enough to a port, Tesla FSD could use a Boring tunnel. It would be a cool trick for sure to have the cars automatically sorted and loaded onto FSD Tesla Semis and sent on their way.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 4.52.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 4.52.55 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I think it’s interesting that many here consider $25k USD as a “low cost“ car. In many countries that is likely close to the median cost of a new car. My definition of a “low cost” car are the $10k-$15k USD hatchbacks that flood out of Korea and Japan every year. Note I don’t think this precludes a $25K Tesla from selling 5 million+ units annually very easily (I think that is a given).

That's because most of us live in the U.S. and $25K is a low cost car in the U.S. In fact, the average cost of a used car in the U.S. is over $25K! In the most recent quarter, the average transaction price for a used car in the U.S. was $25,410 according to data from Edmunds.

In the U.S., very few new cars sell at prices of $20K or less (that's less than 10% of the market). Most people shopping for a car in that price range realize they will get a much better car if they buy a nicer used car rather than a new cheap car.

I also think the $25k Tesla will actually expand the total addressable market for new cars in many countries where used cars are popular. Many who buy used cars will likely stretch for a new car instead for a Tesla at that price.

Sure, a $25K Tesla would expand the addressable market but Tesla doesn't currently need or want a larger addressable market - they are increasing production as fast as physically possible and they still can't fill all the demand for the segments they participate in. And those segments are displacing vehicles with larger engines that burn more fuel compared to low cost cars. The $25K Tesla will come after existing models have begun ramping in Tesla's two newest and largest plants. It's going to be a huge seller in regions where smaller, cheaper cars are more popular.

Absolutely agree. Should have written out "at some point" with more emphasis. :)

Even now, I am sure there is appreciable upsell for those wanting in on the beta. A hypothetical 25,000 activations * 200 just in September is a cool 5 million straight to marginal Q3 profit.

Now you mention insurance, that is tremendous upsell opportunity.

"Based on your safety score, five clicks should save you five percent!"

This might be plausible… if only the way I am driving this week to secure beta access even remotely resembled how I actually drive. I got the Performance model fer cryin’ out loud! How many points can you lose if you max out “aggressive turning”?!?

Reactions: Skryll
... while at the same time, get ready for the FSD scare in the media.
What makes it so fun!

The financial media are going to be so disappointed when their 'yet-another doomsday scenario' fizzles in their faces. Here's a few relevant statements by Elon:

Ivan Escobosa on Twitter: "@elonmusk 10.1 expansion to all of early access please?" / Twitter

Whole Mars Catalog on Twitter: "@elonmusk Could you give more details on how Tesla will expand FSD beta after assembling a list of requests from opt in public beta button? Will it be limited to X new users per day, limited by region of the country? Will most get it, or will it start slowly? People are dying to know" / Twitter

HIRO MIZUNO on Twitter: "You must be a good driver not to drive, which may become a new norm." / Twitter

For those of you who don't recognize his name, Hiro Mizuno is on the Board of Directors for Tesla. This is Elon telling his boss that he promises he'll be careful. Lora will hate that. :p

Hiro Mizuno | Tesla Investor Relations | Corporate Governance

Hiro Mizuno​

Independent Director​
Member of the Audit Committee​
Hiromichi Mizuno has been a member of Board since April 2020. Since January 2021, Mr. Mizuno has served as the United Nations Special Envoy on Innovative Finance and Sustainable Investments. From January 2015 to March 2020, Mr. Mizuno served as Executive Managing Director and Chief Investment Officer of Japan’s Government Pension Investment Fund, the largest pension fund in the world. Previously, Mr. Mizuno was a partner at Coller Capital, a private equity firm, from 2003.​

Cheers!