Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can see them doing so eventually and selling their chips to others especially FSD so defraying cost. Sort of like plan to open up SCs to other EV mfgrs.
There's a good reason that world has seen the leading edge manufacturers of chips reduce from lots to 3 over the years. The economics are hard to make work. Think 100M+ unit volumes / year to even think about getting in the game, and I wouldn't be surprised if its really more like 1B+ unit volumes.

And those dinky microcontrollers that the world is short on aren't leading edge and thus contribute very little to a leading edge process node. They might even make negative contributions as they need to carry a heaping pile of depreciation (I'm not certain on them being actually negative - I just know that those microcontrollers are on old process nodes and 'old' factories that have been depreciated).

I know of 3 or 4 leading edge processors per Tesla today - 2 on the FSD board, and 1 or 2 for the media control unit. At 10M cars and 5 chips (cuz - expansion) that's still only 50M units/year.

I know that we all like vertical integration - I know that I sure do. Unless and until Tesla sees a path to disrupting TSMC / Samsung / Intel / Global Foundries in the manufacturing of semiconductors (knowing that most likely there will continue to be shrinkage in those still standing), the economics on this are stunningly bad.

Blimey that's big. Elon wont do all earnings calls in the future
I haven't listened to the call yet - I plan to get the replay later. But this is something I've wanted to hear for years. I love Elon and I invest heavily in him. And I want to see significant public evidence that he's assembling and building a meaningful succession plan. And the best way to see this is for somebody else to take point on quarterly earnings calls.

Elon can be scheduled for post earnings call interviews with financial press if he wants (I'm guessing not :D). He can schedule some time with Rob Maurer or other podcasters to talk about the company performance after the earnings call (this is really what I'd like to see). And he can do as much or as little of this as he wants, and he can talk as much or as little (I'd guess very little) about the detailed financials - spend more time talking about the big picture, dreams about the future - stuff like that. The stuff that he really likes and wants to do.

The annoying analysts with the bad questions and other stuff he doesn't care about as much - hand that over to the succession plan. For somebody with such a long term vision and investing horizon as Elon, the way he gains leverage on his time is by handing off as much as he can to other people. If Tesla doesn't have a small raft filled with people that can and want to be that COO / CEO to Elon's Product Architect / Lead Visionary / Chairman of the Board - then Elon is silently failing as a CEO in a way that we can't see. Succession planning is critical to CEO performance (at least to me, for the companies I invest in).

From The Telegraph:

Tesla posts record $1.1bn profit but warns of chip shortage​

Despite global supply issues and safety glitches in China, the electric car maker made record profits in the three months ending in June
Think the second paragraph should have been the headline...