Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
‘Not a Tesla” catches on fire. Where are the national headlines?

VIDEO: Austin police officers rescue man from truck completely engulfed in flames

The news article said that this was actually due to a driver medical emergency: the man had his foot on the accelerator while the truck was still in park, spinning the wheels and sparking the fire. Not a vehicle problem. Glad the officers could get the driver out in time.

Last edited:
1. CYBRTRCK isn’t going to be for sale in any kind of volume for a year. Tesla can sell every CYBRTRCK they make for a full year after that without selling a single one to a Texan. That makes it June 2023. Legislation opens Feb 2023. Worst case scenario. Non-issue.

2. I predict, though, that Model Y production (and thusly job creation) is what’s actually going to force a resolution. Until then, though, every Austin made Model Y can go to the east coast and surrounding midwest area. Texans can go purchase them in another state and drive them home. Every car already has a delivery charge on it whether you pick it up or it’s actually delivered to your door. There’s no double expense for Tesla.

1. CYBRTRCK isn’t going to be for sale in any kind of volume for a year. Tesla can sell every CYBRTRCK they make for a full year after that without selling a single one to a Texan. That makes it June 2023. Legislation opens Feb 2023. Worst case scenario. Non-issue.

2. I predict, though, that Model Y production (and thusly job creation) is what’s actually going to force a resolution. Until then, though, every Austin made Model Y can go to the east coast and surrounding midwest area. Texans can go purchase them in another state and drive them home. Every car already has a delivery charge on it whether you pick it up or it’s actually delivered to your door. There’s no double expense for Tesla.
Yeah, worst case is we (Texans) buy Ys the same way we do now. From Fremont. Delivered to our door.

Disagree. I expect Abbott made a deal with Elon, and the Legislature ran out of time to deal with it (there was a lot of time required to try to deal with the grid collapse). I expect it will get fixed somehow, shortly.

To my knowledge it can't get fixed earlier than 2023 unless there's a special session specifically to do so called by Abbot.

Isn't Abbot the guy when this issue came up a few years ago explicitly rejected changing the law?

Everything is so literal with you and lacking imagination. This will get sorted without it costing Tesla a bunch of money doing some illogical logistical gymnastics.

They've already been doing illogical gymnastics to sell in Texas since they began selling cars- and it costs them extra money every single time they do it (though much less than it will for texas-built cars)

If you believe there's some easy/free way for Tesla to fix it then why haven't they fixed it the last 9 years?

And why haven't they done the same in the other states they have similar problems with?

Not every problem has a simple, free, OTA solution.

Yeah, worst case is we (Texans) buy Ys the same way we do now. From Fremont. Delivered to our door.

Yeah, for Y that's the "easy" fix.

Cybertruck not so much.

The choice there is either run the car out of state unsold, park out of state and wait for it to sell, then ship it back...

or

Just don't sell Cybertrucks in Texas.

Both suck, though I suppose I prefer the second since it's less wasted $ by Tesla and brings more pressure to bear on the legislature to ignore all the bribes from dealerships.

‘Not a Tesla” catches on fire. Where are the national headlines?

VIDEO: Austin police officers rescue man from truck completely engulfed in flames

The news article said that this was actually due to a driver medical emergency: the man had his foot on the accelerator while the truck was still in park, spinning the wheels and sparking the fire. Not a vehicle problem. Glad the officers could get the driver out in time.
Good work by the police. But reporter made no mention of the vehicle brand. The only hint that it might have been ICE was a reference to a gas pedal.

It's true about GOOGL, but the F in FAANG (FB), was bumped up similarly to TSLA.

Tomorrow is the last market day this month. Near the close today, one or more funds may have been heavily involved in end-of-month "window dressing" (rebalancing). The late bumps today came during the period for market-on-close orders. More of this may be possible tomorrow, either throughout the day or again before the close.

It was inevitable. I remember a podcast Elon did with some MIT Egghead who had done a bunch of driver-awareness studies and was trying to get Elon to admit it was necessary. Elon kept pushing back that, no, not necessary because full FSD was coming. Well, the FSD delays combined with morons trying to defeat AP/FSD obviously left Tesla no choice.