Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't believe it really. Why on Earth would you spend resources, at this time in the company's history, to make something that few people would want? Makes no sense whatsoever.

Pet project? Why make the Roadster when few people can afford it and it doesn’t get hundreds of thousands of vehicles into people’s hands? Nor does the Semi for that matter.

Because they can and all those vehicles still serve a purpose, while they pump out a crap ton of 3s and hopefully Ys and work toward the next generation of vehicles.

A usual, reliable twitter source is reporting 300 Teslas with Euro plates on Pier 80 today,
Still trying to get to the cool table. on Twitter

No vehicle carriers have San Francisco as their reported destination.

PS. A couple of vehicle carriers are due to arrive at the not so distant Port of Hueneme. So an additional shipment (to the EU) may be on its way.

Last edited:
Was waiting for close of market to post, and was hoping for more than 2% gain today, but if it's green I'll take it!

Actually she is a very intelligent lady and a fantastic teacher. She just doesn't know any better and all she hears is the BS. The experience really kind of shocked me.

Dan

Note that somewhat counter-intuitively this kind of disinformation is the best kind of FUD, because it is so easy to falsify via real-life Tesla experience, which experience 95% of U.S. car buyers haven't had yet.

A new Tesla customer is literally just a friendly owner and a test drive away from being born, and if this kind of dumb disinformation is falsified then most of the other, harder to disprove or less clear-cut pieces of FUD get discredited as well, by association. (At least for the vast majority of people who don't have an emotional dislike of EVs. This is why arguing against ICE enthusiasts on their forums is so counter-productive. Let them stay ignorant of Tesla and let's not polarize them.)

These kinds of anecdotes are IMO actually a major piece of Tesla's long term growth story: if these people were banging on the doors of ICE-makers they'd be making more and better EVs. By spreading easily dispelled disinformation they are creating an easy to tap supply of demand for Tesla - who can grow unopposed into the vacuum of the new EV market at their own pace.

I'd suggest to be patient, positive and understanding when meeting such disinformation "in the field".

I have a somewhat unusual perspective on this as I have the unique perspective of literally having had hundreds of strangers ride in my car which is almost always a topic of conversation, many of whom it is their first ride in a Tesla. I started driving with Uber and Lyft as a side gig and on a whim 3 years ago, last July when I sold my trusty 2nd gen Chevy Volt I kept right on doing it with my Model 3, and have now completed hundreds of rides with it. (NOTE: In general, I wouldn't recommend this to most people, but I enjoy the interactions and the area I live in is conducive to it. PM if you want the gory details.)

I'm no bear by any means, but I'm dismayed to report that the FUD is working, to a degree. Probably more with the general public to stifle/slow demand than in the investment world even. Things I hear constantly:

"I wish Tesla was doing better."
"Elon is crazy!"
"Aren't they in financial dire straits?"
"Where do you charge? There aren't any where I live."
and my least favorite, which was the first time I almost got in a heated argument with a passenger:
"They just cut production way back and fired a bunch of people, I know because I know a manager who works there!"

Now, before you all start posting counters to all these things, you don't need to. I read this thread frequently (although it is a struggle to keep up as of late!) and could probably shame most Tesla salespeople with my response. The discouraging thing is HOW OFTEN I'm having to educate/counter FUD, and because of where I drive I have a disproportionate number of higher socioeconomic/education passengers. (Hence, more likely to be near future customers, young people are a different story, they love Tesla. :D)

Probably the best counter to this is more cars in the hands of more happy customers (key component this) but at some point it will need to be taken on more directly as well. I'm not posting this to sound negative but to give my real world experience with a fairly large sample size is that the FUD does have more of an impact than we in the Tesla owner/investor community sometimes realize. I didn't bat an eye at Dan's story because I experience it every day.

If I take any comfort from it personally, it is that I'm probably having a bigger beneficial impact on the future as an impromptu educator/spokesperson than as a Tesla customer or investor!

Take any opportunity to get out and talk to people, patiently and positively as FC mentioned, as it's a war and the issue is more in doubt than some on this board believe.

Steam Punk pickup not RPG launcher.

43984399_337657763485470_688963563877054601_n.jpg

Elon Also said it would be Bladerunner like.

images

Where did the steampunk idea come from? I think it’s expected to be cyberpunk. Which, yes, would be Blade Runner-like.

Pet project? Why make the Roadster when few people can afford it and it doesn’t get hundreds of thousands of vehicles into people’s hands? Nor does the Semi for that matter.

Because they can and all those vehicles still serve a purpose, while they pump out a crap ton of 3s and hopefully Ys and work toward the next generation of vehicles.

The main purpose of the Roadster 2 is to give ICE vehicles a hardcore smack down.

I would like to do this too, but can't figure out how. I'm in Australia at the moment and can't get put on hold by Tesla for an hour...

But you can buy directly from your management page on ww.tesla.com well I can at least, I'm just waiting a few more days to talk myself into it, but I'm 99,99% sure I'm going to do it...

A usual, reliable twitter source is reporting 300 Teslas on Pier 80 today,
Still trying to get to the cool table. on Twitter

No vehicle carriers have San Francisco as their reported destination.

PS. A couple of vehicle carriers are due to arrive at the not so distant Port of Hueneme.

That's good news to hear. Was hoping they would chose to get their global deliveries on a regular schedule instead of doing the 1 month heavy US, 1 month heavy Europe/China, etc...

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and erha
That's a Soviet era Kamaz truck (of the 43xx type), with what is most likely a jet engine mounted on top.

The army would mount such engines typically on heavier vehicles, for mine clearing, snow blowing or fire fighting. I have never seen a truck mounted jet engine, but the photo could very well be of an actual Soviet army vehicle.

Then I should hope Tesla makes it look like that because clearly a multipurpose vehicle! It could even be used to remove ICEs from EV charging spots.

Yeah, I did that but couldn't find any place to click anything to order. Note that I want to upgrade an already delivered car. I'll poke around some more, but if you can give me a hint...

First select the car:

upload_2019-3-13_21-51-1.png

Then it's 3/4 down the page with a nice red "ACHETER" button:

upload_2019-3-13_21-49-1.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-13_21-48-58.png
    upload_2019-3-13_21-48-58.png
    242 KB · Views: 38
Then I should hope Tesla makes it look like that because clearly a multipurpose vehicle! It could even be used to remove ICEs from EV charging spots.
"remove ICEs from EV charging spots"? Fire up the jet engine and melt the damn things.

This article from Electrek about the UN Global Environment Outlook is insane and a must-read. Glad I invested in Tesla to help spur this fight, but government seems like the most important thing to be working on at this moment and over the next few years in order to implement a lot of the policies (SDGs, Sendai Framework, Paris Climate Accords, etc.) built to help support progress towards sustainability of the planet and society. Can't make change happen without a solid and well-established base of organization to work from. Help out where you can, when you can, and if you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. So as a soon-to-be CCS-chargeable Model 3 owner I am somewhat worried that Tesla's upgrade of their Superchargers to CCS is done for so few of the stalls.

With the EU mainland CCS upgrade having largely been done (at 93%), the median number of CCS stalls on a upgraded supercharger site is 4 stalls (out of e.g. 10).

With a literal torrent of Model 3s arriving in the EU, I feel that this is too little, given my expectation that Model 3 will relatively soon outnumber the Model S/X.

I would like to believe that this is because Tesla will very soon open so many v3 supercharger sites in the EU that the existing ones will be a minority. Kind of in the same way that I would like TSLA to go to 600$...
Some sites are now 100% converted, that’s probably the plan for all sites.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a better estimate on how many Teslas might have been on each ship? I would not think any ships would have left for a long voyage front SF to either China or Belgium with less than a full load. With 800 M3's being producd each day, I would think the ship would wait until Tesla could fill it up. The question then becomes how many vehicles were already aboard when it reached SF. I didn't see any previous ports-of-call that would seem a likely location to load a significant number of vehicles. Unless I'm way off-base, there may have been more Teslas on each ship than we first thought. Does anyone have a SWAG about the number shipped?
These ships can typically take 6-6.5k cars. However, the original reporting said the Belgian port was prepped by ICO for receiving up to 3k cars. Not sure about the Chinese port(s)

The main purpose of the Roadster 2 is to give ICE vehicles a hardcore smack down.
Halo effect.
Can't be. The unveiling is on a Thursday, not a Tuesday.
Tesla is a DISRUPTIVE company. Moving taco Tuesday to Taco Thursday fits into his master plan.

If they announce anything else it would be something to spur immediate deliveries. That should rule out a refresh, IMHO. (Famous last words.)
Okay, challenge accepted:

'HDW3 is shipping now. Order FSD by Sunday and get the sale price! Schedule an appt online for a Tesla Ranger to come upgrade your computer.'

How's that? ;)