Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you somehow miss Battery Day/ Roadrunner/ Kato Rd 10GWh pilot plant that will be in/ near the top 10 cell plants globally?
I typed out a big response that started off with "If the mission is to speed the advent of sustainability, I think our urgency on cell production could be more pronounced."

But it became clear there weren't really any options to add production until maybe 6 months ago. Amazing how quickly I forget we just now became invincible. I would have liked to have seen greater action after the Panasonic disruption of 1Q19, but we couldn't take that kind of financial risk just 12-18 months ago.

I suppose I could argue we should start right now with building out additional legacy cell production in parallel, but the impact would only be marginal. Which actually reinforces the idea that 2023 is going to be bananas from a cell capacity perspective. If it weren't.....Elon would logically be building out legacy capacity in parallel as we speak, even if it were somewhat redundant.

They better be damn sure of this new cell chemistry, design and production plan.

I typed out a big response that started off with "If the mission is to speed the advent of sustainability, I think our urgency on cell production could be more pronounced."

But it became clear there weren't really any options to add production until maybe 6 months ago. Amazing how quickly I forget we just now became invincible. I would have liked to have seen greater action after the Panasonic disruption of 1Q19, but we couldn't take that kind of financial risk just 12-18 months ago.

I suppose I could argue we should start right now with building out additional legacy cell production in parallel, but the impact would only be marginal. Which actually reinforces the idea that 2023 is going to be bananas from a cell capacity perspective. If it weren't.....Elon would logically be building out legacy capacity in parallel as we speak, even if it were somewhat redundant.

They better be damn sure of this new cell chemistry, design and production plan.
Wall of worry?

Today is a good day to stress test your brokers. I am surprised at which ones failed. ToS pulled through as always with free access to everything. Some of the big players failed me surprisingly and the most dissapointing one is IBKR who joined the band wagon in blocking "Buying" buying of certain securities...

I saw a pop up message on Fidelity as I logged in but closed it before reading. Tried to look at AMC and GME, didn't seem to be limited in any way from buying shares or options.

Absolutely ridiculous to see these major brokerages limiting sales on anything that's otherwise available on the open market. Funny the lengths to which our system goes when god forbid a few billionaires make a bad bet.

And another comment about the onboard storage

So the idea of an app store to sell games was raised, and this is certainly a needed piece of that.

But also having the HW in the 3/Y since they sell massively more of them.

But that's....potentially complicated by the 3/Y MCU being in the same physical unit as the FSD computer

Curious how long this PS5-level gaming system remains S/X exclusive and how they bring it to the 3/Y eventually.... (if they can somehow magically get it into the existing MCU2 space they could even offer paid upgrades to the 3/Y fleet)

To be explicit, that is 100GWh produced and 200GWh production capacity (with S curve variance) in 2022.

Upcoming 2022 Gordon headline "Tesla demand problem as they're not even building half their battery capacity"

So we are constrained by battery cell supply. I thought the plan all along was that we were going to be the battery cell supply?

If battery cell supply is the problem, why aren’t we addressing it more directly than asking suppliers to supply more? Last time I checked we had a cash pile of $20B and growing.
They are building battery manufacturing into Giga Shanghai, Giga Berlin, and Giga Austin. That can only happen so fast. They are taking all the steps. It just takes a while.

Dan

Yep - I'm not worried either. So much whine..

Remember 2018?

OHHHHHH it has to have a speedometer in front of me
OHHHHHH it only has one screen
OHHHHHH I want buttons, not an IPAD in the middle
OHHHHHH its dangerous
OHHHHHH its too minimalist looking
OHHHHHH it only has one stalk

OOOOOHHHH! Moved to the top of my "Insightful Post of the Day Board."

I saw a pop up message on Fidelity as I logged in but closed it before reading. Tried to look at AMC and GME, didn't seem to be limited in any way from buying shares or options.

Absolutely ridiculous to see these major brokerages limiting sales on anything that's otherwise available on the open market. Funny the lengths to which our system goes when god forbid a few billionaires make a bad bet.

What I saw just now when logging into Fidelity: "Attention: Pricing for some Vanguard mutual funds reflects closing prices as of Tuesday January 26, 2021. Please use caution when placing trades."

• Funny
Reactions: lafrisbee
The steering wheel is starting to grow on me. My millennial nephew loves it, so maybe it’s a generational thing. Apple took a lot of heat when they got rid of the floppy drive, then again when they ditched the CD. Soon everyone else followed. I don’t see other companies copying the yoke any time soon, but I think it will be quickly viewed as a net positive and will certainly stoke demand.

The steering wheel is starting to grow on me. My millennial nephew loves it, so maybe it’s a generational thing. Apple took a lot of heat when they got rid of the floppy drive, then again when they ditched the CD. Soon everyone else followed. I don’t see other companies copying the yoke any time soon, but I think it will be quickly viewed as a net positive and will certainly stoke demand.

Am millennial. Can confirm love for steering wheel.

Today is a good day to stress test your brokers. I am surprised at which ones failed. ToS pulled through as always with free access to everything. Some of the big players failed me surprisingly and the most dissapointing one is IBKR who joined the band wagon in blocking "Buying" buying of certain securities...

I cannot believe even RH got on the bandwagon. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. I will personally be closing two of my brokerage accounts once I get shares transferred and positions closed in protest.

This afternoon I did a micro-investment in TSLA.
As practically all my money already is, since 2013, in TSLA stock, I never have to worry about money anymore anyway, but that is a different story.

I was driving behind a Kona electric.
When we had to stop at a traffic light, I was able to drive slowly next to him for a very short while.
I gave a small honk of my horn, pointed to his electric Kona and gave him a thumbs-up.
As he wore earphones and didn’t notice straight-away, I saw that the sixteen?-year old girl next to him prodded him and pointed to me.
He showed me a huge smile and gave me a thumbs-up in return.
Now, they will never know me, but their association with Tesla will be positive for a loooong time to come.
This is a ‘micro’ way of investing that I also believe in, can recommend it.
And you will have a big inner smile just like me, I am sure.

Last edited:

personally i love it, but i also instantly identified it as the thing that would attract the most snark from haters and handwringing from people who haven't used it yet.

pretty surprised it's not reserved for the Plaid variant, or an optional extra.

Some of that pile of cash will be spent on batteries once they get the production machine finalized. No sense in throwing money at it needlessly. They ARE building battery manufacturing at Austin and Berlin, after all.

Beyond that, they also will buy every battery the third party suppliers can provide.

There is still money left after those efforts, and maybe no place to spend it just yet. Unless they want to purchase some mining companies.
Nevada Desert Clay. I figure that a significant percentage of the R&D expense was in something associated with developing the extraction method (and acquiring sources). Not only for lithium but all and any raw components. Not so much as to make a profit off of mining, but just to smooth it all out.

Reactions: Thumper and 2daMoon