Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tempting to buy some Dec 24/31 calls, but I'm gonna wait to see if we can hit $615 over the next few days, trim a little time value as well. <---- Get ready for $660 this afternoon.

Edit: Ugh. OTM Dec 24/31 calls are getting ridiculous. $900's are more expensive today, WTF? Good sign that IV is building!

I was looking at 12/24 700c, which were down 10% during the early dip this AM. They’re currently down only 3-4% even though we’ve dropped about 5 points lower than where I was looking at them before.

Tempting to buy some Dec 24/31 calls, but I'm gonna wait to see if we can hit $615 over the next few days, trim a little time value as well. <---- Get ready for $660 this afternoon.

Edit: Ugh. OTM Dec 24/31 calls are getting ridiculous. $900's are more expensive today, WTF? Good sign that IV is building!
You can try, but you’re not getting any of my Dec24/31 900c for less than 3x from here. This is house money I’m playing with here.:D

Translation of BMW comments:

If we don't make batteries now, we never will. Because there is no better time to develop expertise in emerging technologies than the present. But that's OK, we got by all these years leaving petroleum refining to others.

That might even sound reasonable to some people. But here's what they are missing: ICE cars never came with a lifetime of gasoline. The batteries are part of the car (and the most valuable part at that).
lack of understanding.... first principles

Reactions: capster
I just have to share a story of my friend, [Mod redacted] named Phil. He doesn't make a lot of money as a musician, but back in 2012 I talked him into buying some TSLA. He's been calling me for the last month, telling me about how happy he is that he bought 510 shares in 2012 now worth over $300k. Well, my friend Phil calls me this morning even happier! He had completely forgotten about another 570 shares he has in a Roth Ira fund! Happy day for Phil.

I am pleased with many thousands of shares that purchased back in 2012 and 2013, though these shares really do not change my already comfortable lifestyle. They are just numbers in my account. But what makes me happiest, what gives me the greatest pleasure is the handful of musician friends of mine, a park ranger, my hair salon lady, and even my house cleaning lady, these are people who work very hard and make little. In all these cases, owning TSLA shares has changed their lives.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at 12/24 700c, which were down 10% during the early dip this AM. They’re currently down only 3-4% even though we’ve dropped about 5 points lower than where I was looking at them before.
The conversation is always quite technical when it comes down to options pricing, as if there's a clear formula that dictates most of the price movement based on volatility.

I get the feeling it's more along the lines of it being obvious selling $700 12/24's is a terribly unprofitable idea right now. So the price goes up. IV is more of a trailing indicator.

Reactions: woodisgood
I just have to share a story of my friend, named Phil. He doesn't make a lot of money as a musician, but back in 2012 I talked him into buying some TSLA. He's been calling me for the last month, telling me about how happy he is that he bought 510 shares in 2012 now worth over $300k. Well, my friend Phil calls me this morning even happier! He had completely forgotten about another 570 shares he has in a Roth Ira fund! Happy day for Phil.

I am pleased with many thousands of shares that purchased back in 2012 and 2013, though these shares really do not change my already comfortable lifestyle. They are just numbers in my account. But what makes me happiest, what gives me the greatest pleasure is the handful of musician friends of mine, a park ranger, my hair salon lady, and even my house cleaning lady, these are people who work very hard and make little. In all these cases, owning TSLA shares has changed their lives.
How do you 'forget' about 570 shares of $TSLA! :D:D:D

A single contract is a single trade (or a portion of a single trade). I've not heard of an options contract being broken up into multiple trades. The term "shares" cannot be used to represent an option contract. At a minimum you would have to denote "shares represented" by the contract if you want to use the term "shares" in the context of an options contract.

I wish people would say what they mean!

In his interview I believe that is what Emmet Peppers says happened. Ibkr did not send a single order for 3750 contracts, but split it up into multiple orders.

As for semantics maybe I'm wrong but with options it gets complicated with different types of orders. For example:
5 call options with $500 strike in one order
- I would just say I placed one order (or trade) for 5 call options

5 straddles at $500 strike in one order
- that would be 5 calls purchased at $500 strike and 5 puts purchased at $500 strike. 10 contracts but in one order (or trade)

With these two examples I'd just say I placed two trades. One for five calls at $500 and one for 5 straddles at $500. It makes sense in my head anyway o_O

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: capster and UncaNed

I seldom mess with weeklies, nor and anything but shares and LEAPS, but I bought a large (well, large to me) number of 15 JAN 2021 $1,050 strike calls and their value is likewise inexplicably rising with dropping SP (I guess volatility and all that). This stuff is FUN!

Also we often belittle those "Day Traders" among us (most of whom correctly never touch their stash of long term HODL shares), but I strongly believe the experience of chasing a few pennies ahead of the steam roller is a great learning exercise with so many tangential lessons in the basics that it's value for inexperienced newcomers who can afford to lose a bit on the learning experience is far better than so called "Paper" (fake) trading or whatever accounts. It certainly helped me find the route to success.

I love introducing enthusiastic wide-eyed, pimply-faces youths to basic trading and investing.

Looks like this is working real well so THEY can sell a BUNCH of Puts. Look at how since Monday the 600 strikes Calls disappeared on and the Puts are loading up. THEY can't make money any easier than this week. I had to cut the tops off the peeks to get the last three days to scale out the same. For some reason the auto-chart creation is changing the scale every day. It makes it almost a useless chart without edits.

Today will work nicely for them to sell a bunch of Puts in the 520± strike area.

TSLA M-T-W.gif

Gene Munster just said Apple was the only company capable of challenging Tesla down the line.

I believe he also said Apple competing with Tesla was the only thing that would make him change his mind about his PT of, I believe, 2500 in 3 years.

Suspicious timing. Will have to wait and see, though. Not like it's news that Apple has been working on autonomous vehicle technology for years.