Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BP took over Polar chargers (UK) and now raised prices

New charges (tariffs in UK English) are all more expensive for 150kw.

BP - up to 47p/kwh
UK Tesla is 26p/kwh

Once people understand the advantages of Tesla Supercharging (availability, reliability, cost) - Tesla as a car becomes much more attractive for individuals, but particularly consultants, sales, execs that do significant journeys.

Details..

Schemes have different pricing
"Polar Plus is just £7.85 per month for access to over 7,000 charge points, with the first 3 months absolutely free! The majority of our charging points are then free to use, and the others are from just 12p per kWh (inc. VAT). " - HOW MUCH!?

Old tariffs:-
Tariff (per kWh) AC charger 43 AC / 50kW DC charger 150kW DC charger
Polar Plus 12p 15p 20p
Polar Instant 18p 25p 35p
Contactless N/A 30p 40p

"Our 150kW chargers are changing

Over the last year, we have been expanding our network of 150kW chargers at bp fuel stations. There are now over 50 of our 150kW chargers operational across the country and our 51st unit made us the UK’s largest public ultra-fast charging network.

Since we started installing our 150kW charging network, our customers have charged with some of the cheapest tariffs in the market, and we intend to continue this going forward. We are constantly reviewing our tariffs in line with our expansion plan, and need to ensure we can continue to invest in our network and cover the increasing demand for high-powered charging.

From the 4th December, we are changing the tariff on our 150kW chargers. Polar Plus subscribers will pay 27p per kWh to use our 150kW chargers, which is still the lowest cost* for nationwide high-powered public charging. Full details of the new tariffs (per kWh) can be seen in the table below.

NB: If image does not display, 150kW kWh tariffs are as follows; 27p/kWh for Polar Plus, 42p/kWh for Polar Instant and 47p/kWh for Contactless

We want to help our customers experience high-powered charging at bp forecourts. That's why, effective from 4th December, every new 150kW charger installed on the Polar network will be on free vend for the first two weeks - no authentication needed, just click start and stop charge on the screen. "

Last edited by a moderator:
TD Ameritrade Network - this morning:

Thanks for sharing; I appreciated the brief discussion of volatility levels.

Like others here, I'm hoping to take advantage of a spike in price and volatility to sell some monthly covered calls in order to acquire more shares. However, the success - and rapid advancement - of Tesla's FSD beta has complicated this strategy. Should the FSD rollout continue to impress, what seemed like price levels inflated by S&P inclusion speculation may become the norm as the market begins to price in Tesla achieving FSD.

What is the deal with BNEF? I just saw some clown reference their projection for EV's as a % of new car sales. They have it crossing 50%.......in 2040!

How could you possibly look at the market and think it'll take beyond 2030 to hit 50%. ICE purchases will literally be banned in half the markets by then. It's bordering on disinformation, I refuse to believe this is their collective estimate.

Look at battery production- current and projected- that's how.

Tesla, if they execute everything perfectly through about 2030, hopes to have enough batteries to replace roughly 25% of annual ICE sales in a year including supply from partners.

And Tesla is well ahead of everyone else in their plans for amount of battery production.

You can't replace more than 50% of ICE vehicles in just a few years if you don't have enough batteries to build 40+ million EVs- and nobody (and no collection of anybody) has nearly that many batteries anytime soon.

Many other folks have announced "plans to" invest in battery production but It's the same story as "the competition is coming"... it's been coming for a while now and the only place it's actually appeared is press releases, not facts on the ground.

Same thing with the ICE new car bans BTW- there's been far more PROPOSED bans than actual ones so far.

All of the above is excellent news for Tesla investors as they're gonna keep being way ahead of any competition for a long long time... it's less great news for Teslas overall mission environmentally though as everyone else will continue to drag this ICE thing out as long as possible.

Another interesting tweet from Gary Black affecting deadlines for a possible squeeze:

Important: Since TSLA inclusion is effective before market 12/14 and 12/21, indexers should have full positions in place by Friday 12/11 and 12/18 at end of trading.

https://twitter.com/garyblack00/status/1332379438059819008

...that's...not quite how that works...and Gary should really know that.

Indexers generally have some # of days (3-7 days for most but more for others) AFTER those dates to get their "full positions in place"

No offense to anyone holding FB, but I can’t understand how it’s STILL worth more than Tesla. It’s basically a webpage with a thumbs-up button and the most complicated logic is that if I know Joey, and Jesus knows Joey, then I know Jesus.

Meanwhile, Tesla is transforming the world and teaching cars to drive themselves. TSLA is clearly not overvalued at this level.
I’ve spent thousands on FB ads without even realizing it for our family restaurant. I tried the traditional paper ads and it took weeks and so much work to submit an ad and have to time when the ad was going to be printed. It was easy for me to invest after I used their self directed and instant feedback platform. It really is like comparing Tesla vs traditional ICE.

Done - Model Y w/ FSD, White Seats, Metallic Blue.
Cyber still on order. Get em while you can, I'm serious.
upload_2020-11-27_13-39-46.png

Hi Everyone,

I just want to start off by saying I’m a complete noob when it comes to anything stocks. I’ve always been leary about it as I know a few people who have lost quite a bit. I turned to real estate instead.

While I’m not by any means wealthy, I live comfortably within my means. I remember my brother in law showing me the press video for the Model 3 years ago, and while not convinced about EV’s at the time, I remember telling him and my wife that Musk was for sure going to change the world. Shame I never looked to invest in him.

That being said, my real estate has done me well, purchasing me a LR AWD during the summer, and we absolutely adore it, I have a Bmw M3 as well and its just not even playing the same sport. My Lexus is like driving a brick.

I congratulate all of you for seeing Elon’s vision so early on. I did decide to invest, not much, only 20k, just before the S&P announcement, I was able to buy 50 shares. I am learning about options trading but do not want to dabble in it until I am more educated.

I would, however, like to know, as I read this thread, that it seems the stock should peak, and then back down quite a bit after inclusion. Should I look to sell of my shares at the peak, and re buy when the price drops so I could end up with more shares? Or should I just keep them and continue to add when I have spare change.

After reading so many pages of this thread and seeing just how much Tesla can, and will change the world, in ways I would have never imagined, it’s just mind blowing.

Sorry for the long first post here, but I just had to post to ask my question and just say how forward a look to what will come from Tesla

Thanks,
Jared

I would, however, like to know, as I read this thread, that it seems the stock should peak, and then back down quite a bit after inclusion. Should I look to sell of my shares at the peak, and re buy when the price drops so I could end up with more shares? Or should I just keep them and continue to add when I have spare change.
Two quotes, one from Buffet:
Time in the market is more important than timing the market.
The investor with the best returns is a dead investor.

In the market, any particular pattern happens--until it doesn't. It's the "until it doesn't" that kills you.

Hi Everyone,

I just want to start off by saying I’m a complete noob when it comes to anything stocks. I’ve always been leary about it as I know a few people who have lost quite a bit. I turned to real estate instead.

While I’m not by any means wealthy, I live comfortably within my means. I remember my brother in law showing me the press video for the Model 3 years ago, and while not convinced about EV’s at the time, I remember telling him and my wife that Musk was for sure going to change the world. Shame I never looked to invest in him.

That being said, my real estate has done me well, purchasing me a LR AWD during the summer, and we absolutely adore it, I have a Bmw M3 as well and its just not even playing the same sport. My Lexus is like driving a brick.

I congratulate all of you for seeing Elon’s vision so early on. I did decide to invest, not much, only 20k, just before the S&P announcement, I was able to buy 50 shares. I am learning about options trading but do not want to dabble in it until I am more educated.

After reading so many pages of this thread and seeing just how much Tesla can, and will change the world, in ways I would have never imagined, it’s just mind blowing.

Sorry for the long first post here, but I just had to post to ask my question and just say how forward a look to what will come from Tesla

Thanks,
Jared
Agree on your options assessment. It’s not a toy game.
I think most everyone can agree just buy and hold “forever” will be your best advice.
Read Elon’s biography if you haven’t and spend 100 hrs on everything Tesla, SpaceX, and Musk on YouTube. You won’t sell a share after.
I personally put negative article into the FUD basket automatically until I check here for credibility. Maybe 1 out of 1000 maybe legitimate?

I see there are cheaper calls at 875/900/950. What is your reasoning for buying that 850 call?
It was definitely a joke buy. I searched around for anything that matched the $34.cc that was left in my settlement account., put in a limit bid for $0.34 the night before. I really didn’t expect it to hit and was amazed when I got the text confirmation. There was a little bit of a dip right after opening when it hit.

Reactions: Tslynk67

No one knows. I personally think that the more the stock price increases prior to the inclusion date(s), the more likely the stock is to correct afterward. However, there are a number of upcoming catalysts that could support the price after the indexers buy their shares. Swing trading can be an effective way to acquire more shares - or get left behind. This very thread is littered with stories of those who unsuccessfully tried to employ the strategy. The general sentiment here is "time in the market beats timing the market."

Personally, when I make trades that cap my upside I'm weighing my fear of unrealized gains (and gauging the likelihood of said event) against my desire to acquire more shares, and responding accordingly.

Should I look to sell of my shares at the peak, and re buy when the price drops so I could end up with more shares?
No one knows of course but my only advice is to not sell all if you want to try and play with market timing. Think about how many shares you're willing to not get back if the price goes higher instead of pulling back as you expect. I've played the volatility over the years with a small portion of my holdings. I've been at it long enough that most of my short term plays have worked out well but have always been comforted by having the bulk of my shares untouched for the long term.

I was at 4x at one point today. And I just joined the dance on January 30th of this year..... I would be up 4.5x but This is the first time I've played with stocks and I wasn't aware of not being able to buy and sell the stock in the same 48 hours.
In my current lifestyle I can live forever on this and my Social Security. But when I bought the stock the first time I put in enough money for a 1 motor cybertruck, hoping it would grow into enough to upgrade to a higher level cybertrck before my number was called.
Now I can just tell the sales rep, "Gimme one with everything." No telling what's the stock going to be worth when my number is called, two years.
So many of us here have had our worlds changed so that we are unrecognizable from a year ago... for the good.

No one knows of course but my only advice is to not sell all if you want to try and play with market timing. Think about how many shares you're willing to not get back if the price goes higher instead of pulling back as you expect. I've played the volatility over the years with a small portion of my holdings. I've been at it long enough that most of my short term plays have worked out well but have always been comforted by having the bulk of my shares untouched for the long term.
Exactly how I almost screwed up today. I dipped into my core leaving an odd number of shares that I saw slipping away, so I bought em back. Was "expecting" a selloff as usual. But "now" is not usual.