Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ha. I had my car booked in to get an eMMc replacement this morning. they phoned to try and persuade me it wasn't that. I ended up scheduling a complete MCU1-MCU2 upgrade which will end up costing maybe £2,800 or more. I thought it was a bit gratuitous, but things have been going well so I considered it a justified splurge of cash...

...made over 50x that so far today on my TSLA stock. Lolz. who cares :D

Tesla definitely has some quality and service issues they need to iron out. And anyone that ventures to other forums on TMC besides this one knows that. However, I think it is simply a financial business and strategy decision that Tesla made long ago in terms of how to survive and grow quickly. Most early adopters (yes, even today's buyers are early adopters when considering Tesla's overall market share) are willing to accept some deficiency as a trade off for both the other great aspects of the cars and the environmental aspects.

I'm willing to bet there's a priority for quality and service and we will see this priority slowly ramp up as Tesla sells more and more cars. Simply put, the overall poor quality and service has not hurt the company at all so there's little reason to spend billions to correct it until they have to (which has actually already started).
Perhaps, but as a 2018 model X owner, problems are few and far apart, and Tesla service has unexpectedly replaced and upgraded many things that I had no idea needed replacing and upgrading, all at no cost.

All I know is what I seen with my own eyes, and I see very few quality and service issues.

I hope you realize that you've taken a bearish position when you sell a covered call? If you're bullish on the next few weeks, instead of selling the covered call (for the profit of only $100), you could've sold 1 share and then bought that same call (or 4). You'd get all the upside of holding 99% of the shares plus whatever value the calls gain in the next few weeks.

Those of you dabbling in options for the first time, please be careful that you don't end up on the wrong side of the trade! Not all call trades are bullish, and not all put trades are bearish!
Thanks for this suggestion. I cancelled the CC. Furthermore, I hope it wasn’t a mistake, but I just sold 200 sh at $522. I had the order set for 525, then changed it after the first pull back. Damn, it would have hit at 525.:( I’m still long, and this was a “hopefully” strategic sell to free up capital for buying a bunch of calls on Friday. Thanks to Oil4AsphaultOnly for suggesting that this technique is more bullish (instead of selling a OTM CC at 600 or 700 strike). I’m hoping for another pullback this Friday, where I will redeploy this cash into buying some calls. Suggestions for strikes and exp? The 12/24 545c that I bought last Friday are up 40% today. I might pile into some more of those or try the week before or later. Hmmmmmm.

Can anyone suggest a way to set sell orders within Fidelity(my IRA if that matters) to catch a potential momentary squeeze? Let's say we pop from $610 to $950 one afternoon as three major index funds simply decide to buy at the same moment at market prices and there's a moment of zero bid. I can't set a $950 sell order because it's too far from current bid. Is there a workaround for this?

Well, good job @Lycanthrope ! Tried to leave a message last night, but it got deleted as apparently I left the Germany SP but labeled US! I must have been tired. Let's hope it can stay up and grow this short week!
That reminds me - it could be interesting to see if the Frankfurt bourse receives an inordinate amount of trading late in the week as turkey-greasy itchy fingers can't keep away from trading.

• Funny
Reactions: wipster
Many times TSLA is easily pushed around on short trading weeks. I imagine some intern is really pissed he has to work long hours this week on the floor picking up shares for the fund that has decided to buy. Not to mention how horrible Thanksgiving is going top be for Shorty. I bet he's not getting the bonus free turkey this time.... probably a 6 piece CHICKEN from Popeye's instead.

Here's how things shaped up by the end of Friday. I don't think much needs to be said. This is scaled the same as last week's pics for this weeks OI. I don't know if THEY will get the PUTs sold at the 500 strike THEY want and those 475 Calls are still hanging in there so expect attempts to get the SP down. The market in general on Friday was expecting things to rise this week... surprise surprise, eh?
50 MON OI closeup.png

Can anyone suggest a way to set sell orders within Fidelity(my IRA if that matters) to catch a potential momentary squeeze? Let's say we pop from $610 to $950 one afternoon as three major index funds simply decide to buy at the same moment at market prices and there's a moment of zero bid. I can't set a $950 sell order because it's too far from current bid. Is there a workaround for this?

Sell covered call options? 12/18 $950 ?

..nah, wont catch a spike the way your want I guess.

But will net you a cool $70 bucks pr. contract. ;-D

Not sure this will do what you want but maybe close. In Active Trader Pro, look at Conditional Trades menu.
Set a condition of say, when TSLA > $700, then place Limit order at $950.

You will have to be online all the time yourself - or get an intern.

• Funny
Reactions: wipster and UCF3
Thanks for this suggestion. I cancelled the CC. Furthermore, I hope it wasn’t a mistake, but I just sold 200 sh at $522. I had the order set for 525, then changed it after the first pull back. Damn, it would have hit at 525.:( I’m still long, and this was a “hopefully” strategic sell to free up capital for buying a bunch of calls on Friday. Thanks to Oil4AsphaultOnly for suggesting that this technique is more bullish (instead of selling a OTM CC at 600 or 700 strike). I’m hoping for another pullback this Friday, where I will redeploy this cash into buying some calls. Suggestions for strikes and exp? The 12/24 545c that I bought last Friday are up 40% today. I might pile into some more of those or try the week before or later. Hmmmmmm.
Don't forget the market closes at 1:00 ET Friday.

You sold 200 shares, which gets you $104k to deploy into options, but you didn't immediately put them into options?! Why are you so certain of a Friday pullback? I hope you know that you're timing the market with this action? But good luck to you!

Would setting a GTC (good-til-cancelled) order get around that cap? I saw it happen in my schwab account and was able to get around it with a GTC order.