Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have tried to talk to these people on two occasions now. I always start by assuming they don't even know what they have done. "Excuse me, you probably didn't realize but these spots are reserved for charging electric vehicles only". Both times I got indifference and excuses back. "Well I won't be long, just going in and out of the UPS store over there" and "let them use that other spot right there, it's open". So I crank it up a notch and say "Ok, just thought you might be worried about getting a ticket, or getting towed because it's still illegal for you to park there". Blank stares from one lady, and the other time I got the finger as she walked away.

If you encounter someone curious to hear about your car then let us know.

Typically you get "fight or flight". People want to debate you and self justify their parking decision or they just walk away and don't engage at all.

Sweet justice came 2 days later when I saw the traffic cop writing a ticket for another ICE car at the same spot. I walked over and thanked him and let him know how much I appreciated the city providing the charge spots, and enforcing their proper use.

That's fine, and I'm sorry you didn't have good experiences. I just don't see how leaving a note is any better, especially putting stickers on somebody else's car. I'm sorry, but I'm much more receptive to somebody trying to talk to me politely than somebody touching my property who isn't in a position of authority to do so.

The best idea might be to put a fake "ticket" on the Ice offenders windshield. Joke shops sell very authentic looking ones that will freak them out. They will be confused when the court summons never arrives in the mail, but I bet they don't park there again.

At my office garage, we had ICEing problems until management put pylons in front of the spots. Atop each pylon was a placard that read "Electric vehicle charging only".

True, EV owners had to get out and move the pylons to park (and remember to put them back as we exited) but that's far more work than almost all drivers will undertake. Most just drove the extra 50' to find another open spot.

At my office garage, we had ICEing problems until management put pylons in front of the spots. Atop each pylon was a placard that read "Electric vehicle charging only".

True, EV owners had to get out and move the pylons to park (and remember to put them back as we exited) but that's far more work than almost all drivers will undertake. Most just drove the extra 50' to find another open spot.

Like the idea

Some of you might have noticed the pictures of the cross country rally cars are showing a charging percentage. It looks like these cars are outfitted with the new v6 software. Also here is another link in case you can notice any other differences on this dash. I don't own a Model S so I can't provide much help.

1799206_10102288995746033_1991442630_o.jpg

Another percentage screen - Twitter / TeslaMotors: From our last stop at Mauston, ...

Second screen - Twitter / TeslaMotors: After charging at Mitchell, ...

Also it appears there has been a bit of news coming from Elon's talks in Europe this past week. Someone on Facebook has gathered a lot of the news and placed it on the Tesla group Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/275798909206735/permalink/507275122725778/ In case some people have issues accessing the information due to not having a Facebook account, below is what is listed on the page. Sounds like some exciting times ahead and nothing was even mentioned about the giga-battery plant:

Highlights from recent announcements.

If you haven't been following Elon's speeches in Munich, Amsterdam, and Oslo from the last few days, I tried to quickly compile a list of the highlights from all:

Superchargers free for life for all Tesla cars

V6 coming within a few weeks. This is the biggest release yet.

Auto lowering for air susp is back in v6 and fully adjustable , speeds, levels, etc

intelligent (live traffic) navigation in v6 firmware

At least 100 superchargers in EU (by end of 2014 I think)

They've addressed the cold weather charging issues in Norway with new cables and firmware

Potential for bigger battery packs in the future. "Maybe next year..." (Possibly with MX?? he also talked about how 500km packs are definitely possible but currently a trade off between cost and efficiently using today's batteries...but this will definitely improve. Likely major battery pack changes in 4-5 years)

Hinted that the $600 maintenance cost is a little expensive when there is not much maintenance at all to do. (Dennis: if you looked at the 2014 jan investor presentation it says "the best service is free service" so perhaps they might drop this $600 annual service fee!! Keeping my hopes up here)

SDK coming soon!!! (This was in response to someone asking for an integrated tesla car sharing app which Elon said someone else can write it with the SDK coming soon)

They are working on "hill hold" but it's actually more difficult that it seems to get it right under all conditions. (Assuming this means not likely in v6
but perhaps afterwards).

They are working on "almost" fully autonomous cars - active safety and "autopilot" for most driving similar to flying but edge conditions require manual driving. Possible announcement on this later this summer. (He didn't want to give out any more juicy details on this yet.)

3rd row seat in MX is removable and space can be used for cargo.

With V6, you'll be able to set the ride height manually -- almost 2 inches higher. Widened the band where you can set the ride height, approximately double what you can do now

improving core technology. First 90 kW, now 120 kW... later this year most stations 135 kW.

Right now they are not looking to adapt AWD for the MS.

Potential for AWD MS when X is released (seems conflicting with previous statement)

CHAdeMO adapter coming very soon.

Someone asked about seats being uncomfortable: seats should be more comfortable. There is an upgraded seat that we're working on. Pretty sure it can be offered as a retrofit. I think one element is going into production this week or next week. I'm 90% sure they can be offered as a future upgrade. Element... adjusts the springs on the seat.

Some talk about battery size and range for MX and someone asked whether or not they'll be a bigger battery to match the range of MS. He talked about how "the norm standard" is that everyone accepts that SUVs are typically 10% less efficient. MX design challenge is 2-3x harder than the MS. Bigger front area and higher ride height and much more drag. However, he did that that due to the AWD of the MX there are some very cool unique things you can do to increase efficiency that you can't do in a RWD and it sounded like these improvements actually offset drag so that the MS and MX range are the same. Actually here in just going to copy paste instead of trying to explain:"A(EM): Challenge with the X is not the AWD but the fact that the car will have a greater frontal area, and slightly higher drag coefficient. Energy consumption about 10% greater per km. Unrelated to power train. A(JB): Typical experience of AWD is that the efficiency will be worse. We've worked really hard to not have that same effect. We found some clever ways with dual motor AWD, not just mechanical linkage. To make that an efficiency neutral option. Breakthrough."

Tesla likely first to market with 'autonomous' car.

Higher top speed coming.

Based on feedback Elon liked the ideas of removable 2nd row in MX (like for a moving van or business purpose) as well as a cover for the trunks to help with dog hair lol. He said they will look into adding these (good suggestions). Also someone asked about disabling stability control. He said that is illegal (in the US) but person responded "yes but not for track use" (which I guess they never thought about) so he said they would also look into this.

Many more cool announcements coming this year. (I love this company)

I think those were most of the major highlights.

Some of you might have noticed the pictures of the cross country rally cars are showing a charging percentage. It looks like these cars are outfitted with the new v6 software. Also here is another link in case you can notice any other differences on this dash. I don't own a Model S so I can't provide much help.

View attachment 42377

Another percentage screen - Twitter / TeslaMotors: From our last stop at Mauston, ...

Second screen - Twitter / TeslaMotors: After charging at Mitchell, ...

Also it appears there has been a bit of news coming from Elon's talks in Europe this past week. Someone on Facebook has gathered a lot of the news and placed it on the Tesla group Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/275798909206735/permalink/507275122725778/ In case some people have issues accessing the information due to not having a Facebook account, below is what is listed on the page. Sounds like some exciting times ahead and nothing was even mentioned about the giga-battery plant:

Highlights from recent announcements.

If you haven't been following Elon's speeches in Munich, Amsterdam, and Oslo from the last few days, I tried to quickly compile a list of the highlights from all:

Superchargers free for life for all Tesla cars

V6 coming within a few weeks. This is the biggest release yet.

Auto lowering for air susp is back in v6 and fully adjustable , speeds, levels, etc

intelligent (live traffic) navigation in v6 firmware

At least 100 superchargers in EU (by end of 2014 I think)

They've addressed the cold weather charging issues in Norway with new cables and firmware

Potential for bigger battery packs in the future. "Maybe next year..." (Possibly with MX?? he also talked about how 500km packs are definitely possible but currently a trade off between cost and efficiently using today's batteries...but this will definitely improve. Likely major battery pack changes in 4-5 years)

Hinted that the $600 maintenance cost is a little expensive when there is not much maintenance at all to do. (Dennis: if you looked at the 2014 jan investor presentation it says "the best service is free service" so perhaps they might drop this $600 annual service fee!! Keeping my hopes up here)

SDK coming soon!!! (This was in response to someone asking for an integrated tesla car sharing app which Elon said someone else can write it with the SDK coming soon)

They are working on "hill hold" but it's actually more difficult that it seems to get it right under all conditions. (Assuming this means not likely in v6
but perhaps afterwards).

They are working on "almost" fully autonomous cars - active safety and "autopilot" for most driving similar to flying but edge conditions require manual driving. Possible announcement on this later this summer. (He didn't want to give out any more juicy details on this yet.)

3rd row seat in MX is removable and space can be used for cargo.

With V6, you'll be able to set the ride height manually -- almost 2 inches higher. Widened the band where you can set the ride height, approximately double what you can do now

improving core technology. First 90 kW, now 120 kW... later this year most stations 135 kW.

Right now they are not looking to adapt AWD for the MS.

Potential for AWD MS when X is released (seems conflicting with previous statement)

CHAdeMO adapter coming very soon.

Someone asked about seats being uncomfortable: seats should be more comfortable. There is an upgraded seat that we're working on. Pretty sure it can be offered as a retrofit. I think one element is going into production this week or next week. I'm 90% sure they can be offered as a future upgrade. Element... adjusts the springs on the seat.

Some talk about battery size and range for MX and someone asked whether or not they'll be a bigger battery to match the range of MS. He talked about how "the norm standard" is that everyone accepts that SUVs are typically 10% less efficient. MX design challenge is 2-3x harder than the MS. Bigger front area and higher ride height and much more drag. However, he did that that due to the AWD of the MX there are some very cool unique things you can do to increase efficiency that you can't do in a RWD and it sounded like these improvements actually offset drag so that the MS and MX range are the same. Actually here in just going to copy paste instead of trying to explain:"A(EM): Challenge with the X is not the AWD but the fact that the car will have a greater frontal area, and slightly higher drag coefficient. Energy consumption about 10% greater per km. Unrelated to power train. A(JB): Typical experience of AWD is that the efficiency will be worse. We've worked really hard to not have that same effect. We found some clever ways with dual motor AWD, not just mechanical linkage. To make that an efficiency neutral option. Breakthrough."

Tesla likely first to market with 'autonomous' car.

Higher top speed coming.

Based on feedback Elon liked the ideas of removable 2nd row in MX (like for a moving van or business purpose) as well as a cover for the trunks to help with dog hair lol. He said they will look into adding these (good suggestions). Also someone asked about disabling stability control. He said that is illegal (in the US) but person responded "yes but not for track use" (which I guess they never thought about) so he said they would also look into this.

Many more cool announcements coming this year. (I love this company)

I think those were most of the major highlights.

much appreciated post. brian did a great write up of the Oslo meeting:Elon and JB speak in Oslo Feb 1st 2014 1000 CET (4AM EST))

The first thing I noticed (before the addition of a percentage meter) was that the car was charging at 122KW! Does that mean some 135KW superchargers are already deployed?

The first thing I noticed (before the addition of a percentage meter) was that the car was charging at 122KW! Does that mean some 135KW superchargers are already deployed?

Not exactly. I think there were atleast two other posts a few weeks ago where the rate showed up as a little over 120 kW for other owners on here. It's just the initial peak that's still in the vicinity of 120 kW.

My suspicion is this:
1. Turn on climate control
2. Plug in to supercharger
3. Wait 30 seconds or so
4. Turn off climate control
5. Take a picture

(I briefly got "92 kW" at Ellensburg with this method.)

My suspicion is this:
1. Turn on climate control
2. Plug in to supercharger
3. Wait 30 seconds or so
4. Turn off climate control
5. Take a picture

(I briefly got "92 kW" at Ellensburg with this method.)

I've hit 122-123kW with no other accessory draw...

The individual chargers making up the supercharger stack (and in our cars) are actually capable of accepting 277VAC @ 40A (and indeed the individual legs of the 3-phase power feeding the supercharges are 277V). That works out to 11.08kW per charger. For a stack of 12 in the cabinet that's 132.96kW.

Even allowing for some loss, it appears the cars can draw slightly greater than 120kW early on in the curve.

Last edited:
Most unfortunate.

The only other time I was there was Thanksgiving day, and we had the place all to ourselves. I'll be hitting it again tomorrow (after the Richmond HAM Fest), and will report back what it's like on a Saturday afternoon...

We arrived today at about 12:30pm with the parking lot relatively full, yet the supercharger stalls were all unoccupied.

When we got out of Chili's an hour later, there was only one other Model S[1] there charging:
IMG_20140201_135137_587.jpg

[1] A red P85 with 19" cyclone rims, which is unusual, but quite nice looking.