Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Stationary Storage Investors Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a fan of Zerosum's bullishness, and esp. margins:
-BNEF recognizes prices are increasing (there's anecdotal evidence of this, as well), but to $3XX zone, not $600/KWh Twitter-land.
-No posts (sales/orders&quotes) are given, which may be too much to expect, but counting on the highest price Tesla had on its web (2.1mn) = silly.
-He defends his margins by assuming these revenues, then proves them through (more realistic) costs
-As others have criticized, this is "hardware" where >50% margins never exist for long.
-Don't treat shifting 4 hours of solar load into the evening, like the next FSD. Utilities are a commodities business.

As a utility analyst, I'd agree batteries mated with renewables will outrun natural gas (with low capacity factors). I wouldn't dispute 2023 could add dimes of annual EPS to $TSLA, or possibly more, but just how hard to run with the impacts of the IRA is a process whose total optimism still ultimately faces sell-side competition. Medium/Long-term: buyer price-insensitivity will quickly attract more sellers. Don't bank on secret sauce (auto-bidder, maintenance gravy, or other margin fattening claims). The money is in fundamentally storing daily peak production, and then shifting it ~4 hours.

We are at a time of some new, non-automotive, EPS I think. Good thread bump. On a side note, very saddened to read about PZ1975. Many are $$ troubled, right now. I don't think it is time to accuse street analysts of "sandbagging" as claimed, even if the utility side shows hope. Folks have had enough false hope, already. For me, looking like a bottom off the Q4 report. However, I'd feel better if Elon were removed if he can't agree to sales restrictions & blocking up pre-negotiated trades. That went too far.

Can you shed any light on Tesla’s opportunity and/or margins as a VPP? Particularly in Texas where there seems to be a very competitive landscape for electricity providers. With the population of the Dallas and Houston areas (where most of the open markets are) seems that Tesla could see a large customer take rate in 2023 in those areas. Thoughts?

Can you shed any light on Tesla’s opportunity and/or margins as a VPP? Particularly in Texas where there seems to be a very competitive landscape for electricity providers. With the population of the Dallas and Houston areas (where most of the open markets are) seems that Tesla could see a large customer take rate in 2023 in those areas. Thoughts?
Texas isn't hosting VPP, yet, or I know of no rate-design where battery aggregation is getting compensated, at retail. I could be wrong. After Uri, the latest are attempts at keeping unprofitable generators on (which is the opposite of efficiency programs, batteries, DERs, etc.). The state is about to vote on a performance payment scheme, called the Performance Credit Mechanism (PCM), Texas PUC nears market redesign decision amid criticism performance credit will not spur new generation Don't think Tesla gets a dime, here.

Utility scale renewable & battery solutions hold promise for Megapack, like this 200MWh install
Tesla unveils its giant Megapack battery project in Texas Texas power prices can go extreme, but few appreciate the value it also places on shorter term grid balancing, or facilities that can backstop failing ones. The blackout was poorly controlled in a way batteries could have helped mitigate (losing 60Hz). The problem, as it has always been in TX, is finding enough compensation for usually brief, one-in-ten year events to help payback capital costs (This is where the IRA comes in)? If people find value in their own battery back-up, then maybe the gravy of also pledging into a VPP can help preserve ~$800/KWh Powerwall sales (what I was quoted)? 99% of the time, power prices are low. So, there isn't much value in load shifting. Backstopping renewables (wind and solar), so they can meet "recourse adequacy" requirements, will be key.

Reactions: aubreymcfato
Tesla does have a VPP offering in Texas, though it is limited to only Powerwall users at this time.

Tesla seems to enter new markets with probing intent to determine how to operate and prep for scale in that market. It seems to me that once they have things well understood, Megapacks deployed in Texas at scale, perhaps solar deployed at scale, you will see the everyday, non-Powerwall consumer able to sign up for Texas Tesla Energy.

There are very few end to end electricity provides in Texas. I think Tesla can sell electricity at scale, just wondering what the return over time looks like.

Some more Tesla energy/ megapack data for competition comparison:
I just got a proper firm quote, for the installed price of an Alpha ESS grid-scale 583kwh battery at £372,000 fully installed and connected. Thats about one sixth of a megapack, which I believe now only start at 3MW.
I don't know if we have actual real-world figures for the totally installed-and-connected price for a single megapack? At current exchange rate, that price above is $454k. Pro-rata the kwh to a megapack would be $2.3million for an installed and connected and operating single Tesla megapack.

Do we know if Teslas pricing is lower? I'm especially interested in the complete installed cost, not just the delivery of the megapack as a shipping container.

Also note that my quote is for a tiny developer (me) ordering a single shipping container to a fairly remote location in the UK. Asking for a dozen of the same unit to the outskirts of London might well be cheaper.

• Informative
Reactions: Christine69420
Last edited:
Reactions: space_s3x and MikeC