Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve thought about that but not sure how to do it based upon its location and also that the Ethernet is used to plug into my span panel. Even the Ethernet quit working during this one too as my span was reporting no connection.
Get a simple switch and connect your devices to that, and 1 line to your main switch.
It should figure itself out and talk with server.

You could put that on battery backup (if no powerwall)

Reactions: DrewHou
I meant the physical part of running Ethernet since everything was trenched to reach the gateway and breaker panel and there’s no more room left to run it through the original. And there’s no attic access on that side of the house. Too much work when it never goes out on WiFi until all the networking goes down like this time and like I said even Ethernet went down so it wouldn’t have helped. Plus not sure if there would need to be any reconfiguration on my span setup since it would no longer be connected directly to the Tesla gateway. I guess since I have a hardwired AP close by I could grab from there but that would mean drilling through brick so hard pass 😂

I meant the physical part of running Ethernet since everything was trenched to reach the gateway and breaker panel and there’s no more room left to run it through the original. And there’s no attic access on that side of the house. Too much work when it never goes out on WiFi until all the networking goes down like this time and like I said even Ethernet went down so it wouldn’t have helped. Plus not sure if there would need to be any reconfiguration on my span setup since it would no longer be connected directly to the Tesla gateway. I guess since I have a hardwired AP close by I could grab from there but that would mean drilling through brick so hard pass 😂
Ah, yeah, sounds like yours a "hard" issue.

I seriously worry about my Tesla gateway finally going out on me. Because I wonder if this networking issue had something to do with the failed update that bricked my solar. I know WiFi was good because my span panel and everything in my house was good. I just don’t understand why cellular and Ethernet was also not working until it was reset. I am just going to try and not think about it anymore.

I was going to ru

I was going to run Ethernet to my garage and or a satellite. I just never got around to it. My DECO 6E work phenomenally. It’s AT&T. In and out service. I’ll do a Speed check when I notice lag. It’s usually down by 1/5 or 1/3 of what it is vs when it’s running normally.
(Damn webpage keeps Freezing )

I was going to ru

I was going to run Ethernet to my garage and or a satellite. I just never got around to it. My DECO 6E work phenomenally. It’s AT&T. In and out service. I’ll do a Speed check when I notice lag. It’s usually down by 1/5 or 1/3 of what it is vs when it’s running normally.
(Damn webpage keeps Freezing )
Yeah my Orbi 960 6E is crazy fast but occasionally get wonky but a reboot of all the units fixes it. AT&T fiber has been super solid over here for the past 3 or so years. I can count on one hand how many times it has went out. Including the one time I cut the fiber doing landscaping 🤣.

Also what’s going on with TMC the website is bugging everyday now.

Yeah my Orbi 960 6E is crazy fast but occasionally get wonky but a reboot of all the units fixes it. AT&T fiber has been super solid over here for the past 3 or so years. I can count on one hand how many times it has went out. Including the one time I cut the fiber doing landscaping 🤣.

Also what’s going on with TMC the website is bugging everyday now.
Yes the website is having issues. Time to message Danny. 😆

We will be shutting down our native TMC iOS and Android apps soon. As such, I wanted to take this opportunity to encourage users to install our PWA for both iOS and Android (the iOS PWA is actually necessary in order to receive push notifications on iOS).

iOS PWA Installation:
You can install...

Installing the TMC PWA (Progressive Web App) on your mobile device

Is the SPAN panel by the Gateway? That's where you could install an ethernet switch and do a short run to the Gateway if nearby. Else, yea it sucks if there's no easy way to hardwire, but it's really the best way. Resolved all my connectivity issues when I did it, ran my own conduit too and went through one of the existing knockouts on the Gateway.

Reactions: Jones1
Is the SPAN panel by the Gateway? That's where you could install an ethernet switch and do a short run to the Gateway if nearby. Else, yea it sucks if there's no easy way to hardwire, but it's really the best way. Resolved all my connectivity issues when I did it, ran my own conduit too and went through one of the existing knockouts on the Gateway.
Yes right next to it. But the span panel reads the gateway data by plugging into the Ethernet port of the Tesla gateway. I still don’t think this will solve my issue because when WiFi goes down on my gateway so does cellular and Ethernet. Then a few resets of the gateway all works again. It’s like the network card is going out but I’m hoping that’s not the case. I just don’t know what else would cause the cellular, Ethernet, and WiFi to all quit working at the same time on the gateway.

Reactions: Jones1
Yes right next to it. But the span panel reads the gateway data by plugging into the Ethernet port of the Tesla gateway. I still don’t think this will solve my issue because when WiFi goes down on my gateway so does cellular and Ethernet. Then a few resets of the gateway all works again. It’s like the network card is going out but I’m hoping that’s not the case. I just don’t know what else would cause the cellular, Ethernet, and WiFi to all quit working at the same time on the gateway.
The ethernet Switch creates more connections for your one cable that gets to the SPAN panel. Then you would have two cables going from the Switch, one for the SPAN and one for the Gateway. Both will be able to communicate through the one cable to your network which is in the conduit and more difficult to add. A Switch is basically a splitter for ethernet. (Reduces speed but shouldn't matter for these devices).

81nkkDD8TGL._AC_SX679_.jpg

The ethernet Switch creates more connections for your one cable that gets to the SPAN panel. Then you would have two cables going from the Switch, one for the SPAN and one for the Gateway. Both will be able to communicate through the one cable to your network which is in the conduit and more difficult to add. A Switch is basically a splitter for ethernet. (Reduces speed but shouldn't matter for these devices).
Yeah I have several switches in my house but the span uses WiFi for internet and the Ethernet only for the gateway data and was told by support that hardwiring it would mean no more real time data from the gateway. Which I don’t understand but that was their explanation. Secondly it’s getting the Ethernet over to that side of the house that is my main problem. I would have to find a place to bring the Ethernet out of the server closet to outside and then bury it to the other side of the house. The placement of everything in this house is the worst ever designed. Break box on the far side of the house where there is no attic access. That’s why I had to pay 7 grand and have my entire landscaping and yard ripped up just to get a wall connector because of the layout. At this point I should have bought another house 🤣 especially since this layout now means no more powerwalls. Had I not bought the powerwalls when I did I wouldn’t have been able to get powerwalls at all. It’s that bad of a layout.

Yeah I have several switches in my house but the span uses WiFi for internet and the Ethernet only for the gateway data and was told by support that hardwiring it would mean no more real time data from the gateway. Which I don’t understand but that was their explanation. Secondly it’s getting the Ethernet over to that side of the house that is my main problem. I would have to find a place to bring the Ethernet out of the server closet to outside and then bury it to the other side of the house. The placement of everything in this house is the worst ever designed. Break box on the far side of the house where there is no attic access. That’s why I had to pay 7 grand and have my entire landscaping and yard ripped up just to get a wall connector because of the layout. At this point I should have bought another house 🤣 especially since this layout now means no more powerwalls. Had I not bought the powerwalls when I did I wouldn’t have been able to get powerwalls at all. It’s that bad of a layout.
Oh, if the breaker box / SPAN is opposite side of the house from the Gateway then it won't benefit you at all. Suppose you could always get some direct burial cable and do a shallow trench to the Gateway?

Cat6 Outdoor Ethernet Cable

Oh, if the breaker box / SPAN is opposite side of the house from the Gateway then it won't benefit you at all. Suppose you could always get some direct burial cable and do a shallow trench to the Gateway?

Cat6 Outdoor Ethernet Cable

Since my trench conduit is full, yeah that would be the only way. Just take my garden spade and pull back and shove it in a couple inches down. With it being Ethernet I don’t guess it is a safety concern. Idk it all really depends on how often this ends up happening. My main issue i would like to fix is how to keep my devices on when the grid goes down. So annoying everything reboots when there is an outage before the powerwalls kick in a second later. I bought a UPS for my WiFi and fiber modem I guess I need to get one for my iMac too. When I got powerwalls I was stupid and gave mine away thinking the jump to battery would be instant.

Reactions: wiltoking
Since my trench conduit is full, yeah that would be the only way. Just take my garden spade and pull back and shove it in a couple inches down. With it being Ethernet I don’t guess it is a safety concern. Idk it all really depends on how often this ends up happening. My main issue i would like to fix is how to keep my devices on when the grid goes down. So annoying everything reboots when there is an outage before the powerwalls kick in a second later. I bought a UPS for my WiFi and fiber modem I guess I need to get one for my iMac too. When I got powerwalls I was stupid and gave mine away thinking the jump to battery would be instant.
Fun memorial weekend project looks like haha

Sadly, for sensitive equipment UPS's are the only way for the brief power dip when the Powerwall takes over.

Sadly, for sensitive equipment UPS's are the only way for the brief power dip when the Powerwall takes over.
Do you know if that's still the case with the Tesla Backup Switch?

I was told in December that I couldn't use that yet (not approved by Ercot) and had to install a Gateway V2 just to manage the grid connection, but that it didn't have a seamless transition when there was power loss.