Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1713291764708.jpeg

It's hard to consider TE seriously when there are options for free nights with Amigo or JustEnergy, with a flat rate buy back. Then, when VPP eventually gets approved for PW3s, I just don't see the point of TE for a solar + pw customer.

Maybe for non-solar/battery customers it makes sense, though.
So they are saying it’s free nights 10pm - 6am
$15 per vehicle. Per Month.

I don't see the benefit vs. Free Nights for everything.

TE is just saying free nights from 10-6 for vehicles, but you're still going to have to pay to charge your powerwalls if you get consecutive cloudy days.

Am I missing something?
I’m looking towards the Payout. I have 3 PW’s. Hopefully I will be able to stay off grid. My main consumption is my EV.

Reactions: GWord
I’m looking towards the Payout. I have 3 PW’s. Hopefully I will be able to stay off grid. My main consumption is my EV.
Gotcha. I wish they offered Free Nights for everything, not just vehicles.

For me, I'd pay $15 ($30 soon) a month, plus whatever I have to pay for these cloudy/rainy days where I need to draw from the grid.

With JE, I start each morning at 100% PW battery and 80% charge on the model Y and basically end up with a negative balance due to the solar buyback from overproduction, which is easy when you start the day on a full charge.

Reactions: DrewHou and Jones1
Gotcha. I wish they offered Free Nights for everything, not just vehicles.

For me, I'd pay $15 ($30 soon) a month, plus whatever I have to pay for these cloudy/rainy days where I need to draw from the grid.

With JE, I start each morning at 100% PW battery and 80% charge on the model Y and basically end up with a negative balance due to the solar buyback from overproduction, which is easy when you start the day on a full charge.
Same here on Amigo (they are run by same people as JE). Even on a cloudy day like today, there's more than enough product to still send a bit back to grid.

Reactions: DrewHou and Jones1
Same here on Amigo (they are run by same people as JE). Even on a cloudy day like today, there's more than enough product to still send a bit back to grid.
The only thing that worries me is that it isn't sustainable. I assume JE/Amigo buy up futures to pay the flat buyback rate, but being with TE gives you insight into the wholesale rates and they're usually incredibly low.

I'm mentally preparing for JE/Amigo to randomly end or change something, so glad I just got into another 12 month contract.

Reactions: Jones1
The only thing that worries me is that it isn't sustainable. I assume JE/Amigo buy up futures to pay the flat buyback rate, but being with TE gives you insight into the wholesale rates and they're usually incredibly low.

I'm mentally preparing for JE/Amigo to randomly end or change something, so glad I just got into another 12 month contract.
I signed up for 36 months!

Is it possible that they are buying back at $0.03 from us but selling it to another customer for whatever the retail is? I don't know how this industry works but have often wondered how it works or how they can make money. I have to assume that the wholesale rate from 9P-7A is dirt cheap, so they don't really care too much about it.

I signed up for 36 months!

Is it possible that they are buying back at $0.03 from us but selling it to another customer for whatever the retail is? I don't know how this industry works but have often wondered how it works or how they can make money. I have to assume that the wholesale rate from 9P-7A is dirt cheap, so they don't really care too much about it.
Being a Tesla Electric customer. I was able to see. The times of day the rate would move. At night will always be the lowest cost. During the day. If it’s not a demand issue. You are making .05-.20 cent range. It’s the Demand times that people get a large credit. Rollover monthly. We make a deal. They hope they win on the deal. We hope we win on the deal. They are hoping to sell our energy back at a High rate during the demand time.

I don't know how this industry works but have often wondered how it works or how they can make money.

Not uncommon for wholesale pricing to go negative at night, at least at some of the hubs. So with negative pricing, a wholesale consumer gets paid for usage. With that said, hubs around Houston aren’t consistently negative at night, so I assume these free night plans also assume some daytime use. Also, I’m sure they use a hedging strategy.

Hmmm I’m sure this plan works for some people but the idea of losing my free nights plus having to pay Tesla 30/mo just for car charging doesn’t make sense for me. Until they give true free nights for free they have missed me. Also given I am most likely not going to buy another Tesla makes Tesla Electric even more unappealing.