Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's weird that on Reddit I see posts like this: Tesla Electric Austin Bill and they're selling almost as much energy as you but getting 3x value for it! The person that posted that on Reddit has 30 panels (so a 12kW system) with 3 Powerwalls and charges an EV yet has no off-peak or peak power usage.
This is along the line of what I am getting in April last year. I have 27 panels/9.2kw/2PW system, my excess is 599kwh. Figuring out what is the best electricity deal is not easy and it depends on individual usage patterns.
For me, the lowest fixed rate, no base charge, even with just market buy back rate still beats other plans, as they usually have a base charge (10-15), some as high as 32c, even if they offer higher buyback/free nights ... from experience, low production months (dec/jan) are the most costly.

Reactions: DrewHou and Jones1
StateFarm denied my claim due to hail damage being wrong color and therefore old. Trying to tell me that the hail that put divots in my wood fence caused zero damage. This is the only hail event since I got this house and apparently StateFarm thinks Roof Repair squad would remove a satalite mount and patch it, add a cricket to the chimney, tell me there is no other damage and not try to sell me a new roof, and that Tesla would tell me my roof is fine and install solar on it with hail damage.

StateFarm denied my claim due to hail damage being wrong color and therefore old. Trying to tell me that the hail that put divots in my wood fence caused zero damage. This is the only hail event since I got this house and apparently StateFarm thinks Roof Repair squad would remove a satalite mount and patch it, add a cricket to the chimney, tell me there is no other damage and not try to sell me a new roof, and that Tesla would tell me my roof is fine and install solar on it with hail damage.
Sorry to hear.

I have State Farm for my wife’s vehicle. They just tried to offer me a Home policy bundle. To lower the cost. The policy is almost double what I’m paying now. They told me they would cover my Solar panels. I told them no thank you.

Before I install the solar, we have a minor hail storm, Nationwide checked and said only minor damage (not enough to replace the roof), they did pay for some gutters damage and agreed to restain the fence. GoodFaithEnergy said is ok to install the panel. I am now with Lemonade which is substantially cheaper because they use mostly AI to help with the claim process, I haven't had any claim with them yet but up-to-date reviews are positive. Previously, I am with Amica which is great and doesn't even care about enough damage and will replace the roof but they are super expensive and the premium increases yearly.

I'm challenging the denial and submitting reviews and BBB complaint. Hopefully they care enough about that to actually do what I pay for. Assuming they care, helpful votes on this might help.

Reactions: Jones1
I'm challenging the denial and submitting reviews and BBB complaint. Hopefully they care enough about that to actually do what I pay for. Assuming they care, helpful votes on this might help.
I have been with statefarm forever. I had an truck it my house and it was a multi year, very very expensive process to deal with Hasmat and the damage. Statefarm went way beyond expectations. Now part of this could be they were going after the trucking companies insurance to get their money back but either way, I am a supporter for life

I have had them forever as well. Harvey flooded my new car and they had it taken care of in under a week without any arguing or anything. When I bought my house it was no question to get them and I did not bother shopping around since they had good service and if they cost more, so be it. This experience however....

What really pisses me off is the way they denied it. They did not say there were too few hits and all they can do is cover repair. They did not say the hits were too light and did not compromise the shingles and do not need repair. No, they denied that the damage is new and they will not cover old damage. I told the adjuster I had a roofer add a cricket to the chimney and re-seal penetrations as well are remove a satellite and patch that area and they found no damage and that Tesla installed solar and found no damage, and that this is the first hail storm since then. I even offered up photos and security camera footage.

So, either a roofer did not try and sell me on fixing hail damage and Tesla knowingly installed solar on a roof with hail damage, and the almost two inch hail caused zero damage to my roof like StateFarm says even though it clearly damaged my fence, or StateFarm is using any excuse they can to deny the claim and hoping they get away with it.

Had they come back saying I have x level damage to x number shingles when I need y damage to y shingles, so they cannot do a replace, only a repair, I would have said fine, let me verify with the roofer and get that taken care of. Then I would have called my agent to see if I could increase my coverage for the future. Instead they are acting like the hail I have video evidence of damaging things and their own adjuster said damaged stuff, actually did not happen. Because, you know, the pictures the adjuster took on an overcast day after it rained did not have the right color damage.

I have had them forever as well. Harvey flooded my new car and they had it taken care of in under a week without any arguing or anything. When I bought my house it was no question to get them and I did not bother shopping around since they had good service and if they cost more, so be it. This experience however....

What really pisses me off is the way they denied it. They did not say there were too few hits and all they can do is cover repair. They did not say the hits were too light and did not compromise the shingles and do not need repair. No, they denied that the damage is new and they will not cover old damage. I told the adjuster I had a roofer add a cricket to the chimney and re-seal penetrations as well are remove a satellite and patch that area and they found no damage and that Tesla installed solar and found no damage, and that this is the first hail storm since then. I even offered up photos and security camera footage.

So, either a roofer did not try and sell me on fixing hail damage and Tesla knowingly installed solar on a roof with hail damage, and the almost two inch hail caused zero damage to my roof like StateFarm says even though it clearly damaged my fence, or StateFarm is using any excuse they can to deny the claim and hoping they get away with it.

Had they come back saying I have x level damage to x number shingles when I need y damage to y shingles, so they cannot do a replace, only a repair, I would have said fine, let me verify with the roofer and get that taken care of. Then I would have called my agent to see if I could increase my coverage for the future. Instead they are acting like the hail I have video evidence of damaging things and their own adjuster said damaged stuff, actually did not happen. Because, you know, the pictures the adjuster took on an overcast day after it rained did not have the right color damage.
I hope it is not related to their biggest loss and trying to minimize payout across the board.

• Informative
I hope it is not related to their biggest loss and trying to minimize payout across the board.

My State Farm representative. Told me it wasn’t just State Farm. Everyone is going up with insurance premiums. I told her. My Tesla Auto Insurance hasn’t went up. This makes sense now.

Reactions: cbdream99
My State Farm representative. Told me it wasn’t just State Farm. Everyone is going up with insurance premiums. I told her. My Tesla Auto Insurance hasn’t went up. This makes sense now.
My Tesla insurance went up after a year with them, so they're not immune. That's even after the Safety Score 1.2 and Safety Score 2.0 increases. Dropped them and switched to State Farm which was the lowest! I was thinking of adding homeowners to the policy too lol what a world

Reactions: Jones1 and DrewHou
My Tesla insurance went up after a year with them, so they're not immune. That's even after the Safety Score 1.2 and Safety Score 2.0 increases. Dropped them and switched to State Farm which was the lowest! I was thinking of adding homeowners to the policy too lol what a world
Agreed. My Tesla insurance went up as well. Not high enough to justify a jump just yet but increased.

@Jones1 House insurance was a significant increase this year. I think all insurance is going up dramatically but Tesla insurance for cars seems to be the least impacted so far for me. (Knock on wood)

I did some quotes recently to make sure Tesla was the cheapest and the average quote I received for the 3, S, and my Benz was 750 a month for full coverage. In comparison to the 200ish I pay a month with Tesla for all three. SMH inflation gonna wipe me out 😂.

Stupid question and hope it hasn’t been answered before but couldn’t find anything searching the forum.

Is there anyway in the Tesla app to easily see how much power was sent back to the grid for the month? I see a way to view just about every other metric but maybe I am just missing it.

Stupid question and hope it hasn’t been answered before but couldn’t find anything searching the forum.

Is there anyway in the Tesla app to easily see how much power was sent back to the grid for the month? I see a way to view just about every other metric but maybe I am just missing it.
No. Not easy. It should be.

Click on Download file. At the bottom of the screen. Under grid. It will save to files. It will be the last category. You have to add it up tho. It will show what the timeframe you selected in app. Month or year or lifetime.

1682700735978.png

• Helpful
Reactions: DrewHou
State Farm quoted me $180 for my Tesla. I’m paying $130-$150 depending on my safety score. For the Same coverage in policy. After my first six months with Tesla insurance. It looked at the mikes I drove. Then added $10. I was paying $110-$120 I think. When the safety score went to 2.0
I had a 93 for the first week or so. I finally have it back to a 98. It does fluctuate but with my safety score.

Reactions: DrewHou
State Farm quoted me $180 for my Tesla. I’m paying $130-$150 depending on my safety score. For the Same coverage in policy. After my first six months with Tesla insurance. It looked at the mikes I drove. Then added $10. I was paying $110-$120 I think. When the safety score went to 2.0
I had a 93 for the first week or so. I finally have it back to a 98. It does fluctuate but with my safety score.
About the same for me, $175 with State Farm but Tesla had me at $220-$250 (mostly because of miles driven). Worse, the safety score would be in the high 90s for 3/4's of the month then I'd have a bad day rating and it would tank the overall month to 90 or lower. It was laughable how often that happened. Finally just got frustrated at getting stressed about the score all the time.

Recently I tried to get a quote from others for both home and auto insurance since I am not a fan of SS restrictions and heard all the horror stories of Tesla insurance. I was shocked - the most expensive is ~6K for one home/one Tesla, others are around ~4 - 4.5k. Lemonade and Tesla combined are ~2.5k (with 99-100 SS).

About the same for me, $175 with State Farm but Tesla had me at $220-$250 (mostly because of miles driven). Worse, the safety score would be in the high 90s for 3/4's of the month then I'd have a bad day rating and it would tank the overall month to 90 or lower. It was laughable how often that happened. Finally just got frustrated at getting stressed about the score all the time.
I was thinking the Safety Score would piss me off. It does a little at first. But it’s really meant for you to be on AP , EAP or FSD. I noticed it would ding me mostly for hard braking and following distance. I’m mostly in traffic going to work. So I let Elon take the Wheel. 😂 and just ride. I’m pretty sure it’s tied to you not driving. That way Tesla can get the AP data. I figured if I keep my insurance low. The $99 or $106 with tax. Would be closer to what I would pay. With another insurance company. I have $500 deductibles. I may move them to $1000. I haven’t yet. Because the Windshields cost $900 I’m told. I figure $500 would save me some money. If I need to file a claim.

Go to "Energy" on the app, change the timescale to "Month" and then look at the "Energy Destinations" at the bottom. It shows the percentage of solar generation in the month.

PTO update after finally having some nice full sunny days! Getting about 30kWh from the system but heat throttling is a big deal and exporting about 20 kWh of that. Loose 25% peak power production vs cool/cloudy days. I've gotten up to 5.2 kW before but when it's sunny it doesn't exceed 4 kW! With the cheap buyback from Amigo, I might get a 4-5 dollar credit every month.

Just with the last few weeks of PTO got my Energy Offset up to 48% from a more typical 26%. I imagine if Texas had 1:1 net metering, we could charge EV's at night and still get a credit. If these free-night plans go the way of the dodo and we don't have oversized systems it will be tougher.