Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service says my Tesla Model S 2013 60 kw Main battery needs to be replaced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the article - All the Model S 2012-15 have the battery pack design flaw with the AC hose. Read here. If anybody knows of anyone else with the same story ,contact me . I contacted other people. "Mario Zelaya bought his then brand-new 2013 Model S Performance almost ten years ago. He drove it for 124,204 kilometers (77,177 miles) until it presented problems on March 8, 2022. Some days later, this Tesla owner learned he would have to pay CAD28,684.83 to replace the battery pack a few months after its warranty expired. Zelaya asked Transport Canada for help and is now accusing Tesla of hiding a serious design flaw." https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...ing-design-flaw-in-battery-packs-198780.html?

You getting ready to batten down the hatches tomorrow?
Looks like the track might land us some Tropical Storm to Tropical Depression type winds/rains.

Should be fine, though. Not super concerned. Shop is a solid brick building with some steel structures built around it, everything indoors. I really don't see much happening to this building or anything from tropical storm wind.

On the personal side, just getting any loose stuff outside put away and/or tied up and secured later today is pretty much all we can do.

Storm expected tomorrow night through Sunday I believe.

1664473734529.png

Looks like the track might land us some Tropical Storm to Tropical Depression type winds/rains.

Should be fine, though. Not super concerned. Shop is a solid brick building with some steel structures built around it, everything indoors. I really don't see much happening to this building or anything from tropical storm wind.

On the personal side, just getting any loose stuff outside put away and/or tied up and secured later today is pretty much all we can do.

Storm expected tomorrow night through Sunday I believe.

View attachment 858174
Yeah, looks like it is going right over your head. From what I can see some areas just might get a months worth of rain in a few hours, so some people may want to get some things to higher ground. Don't know if 40-50 mph winds is common for the area.

I imagine a few dozen customer cars are not at risk of burning down :)

Yeah, looks like it is going right over your head. From what I can see some areas just might get a months worth of rain in a few hours, so some people may want to get some things to higher ground. Don't know if 40-50 mph winds is common for the area.

I imagine a few dozen customer cars are not at risk of burning down :)
Higher ground in Florida is a bit of an oxymoron.

Have you thought about starting a class action lawsuit in the US? Or have you reported this issue to the NHTSA?

Yes I did already reported to NHTSA. Like that that owner in Canada and they investigated it and found fault with Tesla who tried to cover it up.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Have you thought about starting a class action lawsuit in the US? Or have you reported this issue to the NHTSA?

That banner says:

"File a complaint with NHTSA if you experienced a vehicle, tire, car seat or equipment safety problem that could be a safety defect."

How is water dripping over the battery a safety issue?

• Love
That banner says:

"File a complaint with NHTSA if you experienced a vehicle, tire, car seat or equipment safety problem that could be a safety defect."

What if a manufacturer can remotely disable vehicles because airbags in those vehicles have gotten corroded and are no longer safe? Either the consumers pay to repair the airbags or the vehicles are unusable.

Simplistic example ... but I see this Tesla issue to be similar.

If left alone could these batteries (I'm guessing here) cause an electrical fire? If not then what's the reason for disabling so many vehicles? So instead of fixing the issue (because of obvious costs to them), Tesla disables the vehicles and forces the owners to shell out money or have very expensive dust collectors in their driveways. If you can longer drive your vehicle then it is no longer a safety issue.

I believe it's a fire hazard?

Also, I'm wondering if this issue falls under the CA Lemon Law:
California provides relief to consumers who purchase a new, used or leased motor vehicle with applicable express warranties. A consumer is entitled to relief if a vehicle is unable to conform to its express warranty after a “reasonable” number of repair attempts, by the dealership, have been made in an effort to try and correct the problem. A nonconformity exists when the use, value or safety of the vehicle is substantially impaired.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Last edited:
Also, I'm wondering if this issue falls under the CA Lemon Law:
Well, let's see what is in that text that you quoted:

"if a vehicle is unable to conform to its express warranty"

Did you see that key fundamental part? Lemon Law only applies during the warranty period. After the warranty is up, Lemon Law doesn't apply at all. These issues are very long term and are generally only failing after they are out of warranty, so Lemon Law is irrelevant.

So this is just about products not lasting as long as people want them to--which is why it isn't a safety issue for the NHTSA either.

A lemon law attorney called me and recommended Capstone, which specializes in auto defect class action.

I've already seen a class action suit get dismissed because the warranty only covers defects in materials and workmanship. The class action was about the shrinking gas tank in the Toyota Prius, and the judge dismissed it because the shrinking was a result of a design decision which the warranty doesn't cover.

And really what would your claim be? You are out of warranty, so you can't file a class action based on Tesla not meeting their warranty obligations. Car manufacturers certainly don't have to make products that last forever... That pretty much leaves you with making it about safety, but I'm not sure you have a valid case there. (NHTSA has already investigated the Tesla batteries once, and found that they didn't do anything wrong safety wise.)

Well, let's see what is in that text that you quoted:

"if a vehicle is unable to conform to its express warranty"

Did you see that key fundamental part? Lemon Law only applies during the warranty period. After the warranty is up, Lemon Law doesn't apply at all. These issues are very long term and are generally only failing after they are out of warranty, so Lemon Law is irrelevant.

So this is just about products not lasting as long as people want them to--which is why it isn't a safety issue for the NHTSA either.
You're correct. A lemon law attorney called me and recommend that I contact an auto defect attorney, Capstone in Los Angeles.

Also, as a prior poster stated .. if this issue is caused by AC condensation leaking onto the battery pack then it happened during the warranty period. Also ... It's highly coincidental that for many of us, the code pops up shortly after the warranty period expired.

You're correct. A lemon law attorney called me and recommend that I contact an auto defect attorney, Capstone in Los Angeles.

Also, as a prior poster stated .. if this issue is caused by AC condensation leaking onto the battery pack then it happened during the warranty period. Also ... It's highly coincidental that for many of us, the code pops up shortly after the warranty period expired.
How long have you owned this car?

Also, as a prior poster stated .. if this issue is caused by AC condensation leaking onto the battery pack then it happened during the warranty period.
Eh, that's pretty funny to think of as an excuse. Your clothes are gradually getting worn out as you wear them "during the warranty period". Your carpet and refrigerator and light bulbs and everything else in your house are also gradually getting used and slowly worn out as you use them "during the warranty period". As long as it doesn't fail during that time, that's just life.

It's highly coincidental that for many of us, the code pops up shortly after the warranty period expired.
So? Sometimes coincidences are highly coincidental. In this case, it's a bad design decision, but it usually outlasts the warranty. My father-in-law was pretty angry to find out that on some of the Ford vehicles, like the Windstar vans, they had used an aluminum head to save weight, but it was on an iron block. Because of the different metals, they had different thermal expansion and would have extra stress and were about guaranteed to have blown head gaskets late in life. But they lasted past the warranty, so that was that.

And before people start pointing a finger and accusing me of being a "fanboy", I'm not saying it was right. This was dumb. Tesla did several dumb things early on. It was shortsighted. It was inexperience, arrogance, hubris, overconfidence, whatever, all of the above. But I'm just saying that this is just something that sucks that people have to live with, and there isn't some recourse for it. You wish the warranty was 50 years, but it isn't, and you just have to figure out how you are willing to deal with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: byeLT4 and MP3Mike