Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla sends out delivery delay emails

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reserved online after the reveal. My delivery estimate has not changed, still "Late 2018", but with the recent delays in production ramp up, the realistic delivery date should now be into 2019.

Just got my e-mail now. Reserved online before reveal. From Canada and slightly different wording. Delivery date not changed (but it's already rather vague with 'Late 2018'):

Because some people don't place a single issue at the top of their decision tree.

S5 isn't diesel... Audi is still one of the best car companies with an amazing offering off all-season capable performance and family cars.

The baker put cyanide in his chocolate cake. But his vanilla cakes are good?

The baker put cyanide in his chocolate cake. But his vanilla cakes are good?

Life's too short to hold grudges against companies. I buy the products that I feel will improve my life or that I will enjoy using. If were going to buy an ICE car, it'd probably be an Audi because I enjoy driving them, and they offer the features I want.

I reserved online after the reveal. My delivery estimate has not changed, still "Late 2018", but with the recent delays in production ramp up, the realistic delivery date should now be into 2019.

I'd like to know how they arrived at these estimates.
Since people were given potential November 2017 deliveries, I would have to assume that the estimates were based on 5,000 per week in December, followed by 10,000 early in 2018.

Also, of the 500,000 or so reservations, from what Ive seen here, only the overseas ones are estimated to be delivered in 2019.
I would also assume that these estimates are then based on the projection of approx 400,000 model 3s in 2018.

So how many will they actually produce in 2018? 200,000?

If this is the case, and its looking like it is, shouldn't many of the reservations be moved back between 6 and 12 months based on which version they want?

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
The email apart, got a phone call yesterday from a number in Torrance, CA and the lady on the line wanted to see if I had any concerns about the delay and if I was worried about the potential loss of the tax credit as well. She didn't actually have my reservation details in front of her so, was a bit surprised to hear of my 3/31/16 reservation, as an owner, and of the now-Nov-Jan (fwiw) window. The phone connection was bad so, we wrapped up quickly. Wondering if anyone else got such a call? Possibly in California in particular?

As a shareholder, they better goddamned not.

True. If there are too many delays and no sweetener and once (or if ever) our government incentive expires, I might just wait for other BEVs and see what they have to offer and if all of them are too expensive, I may just go with a used hybrid. I have no investment in TSLA so I am not tied to purchasing one of its vehicles.

Still think Toyota might already have a BEV in China in 2019 so I may just wait for that or entertain even the Nissan SUV BEV.

Not a lot of TMC members will defect but I don't mind if a comparable AWD BEV comes out (250 miles or more), even if from the lying and cheating German car makers.

It's as if Tesla is a saint with all these "poor performance reviews" that lead to firing. Got to read between the lines and have some doubt on why people are being let go because most of the time, poor performance can be traced to poor management/bosses who have no clue how to run their teams properly.

Last edited:
Totally re-thinking the entire purchase. I have been holding on to dear life with my current vehicle which I’ve wanted to replace for over a year. It is never a great idea to buy in the first model year of a car. With all that is surrounding this vehicle and company, I may not be the best customer.

I really need to think about whether this is the right car and company for me and my $$$$. I want to support the mission but not sure if I’m willing to pay the “price” in the many ways that can be defined.

I wish Elon had not given me more time to bail on this thing......just today (before the news) my wife said, “just face it, that Tesla is not coming anytime soon, go buy something else.” This...coming from the woman that stood in line on day 1 for hours for my reservation.

Edit to add..FWIW..Two reservations and shareholder....I am not a happy guy right now.

Please cancel your reservation so I can get the Model 3 sooner. It’s humorous to me that people freak out about delays on this car. This is to be expected as this is a huge ramp up. When your wife stood in line, Tesla wasn’t even planning on ramping up as quickly as they are. So.... enjoy your other purchase. To me, Tesla is worth the wait.

Reactions: EinSV
I'd like to know how they arrived at these estimates.
Since people were given potential November 2017 deliveries, I would have to assume that the estimates were based on 5,000 per week in December, followed by 10,000 early in 2018.

Also, of the 500,000 or so reservations, from what Ive seen here, only the overseas ones are estimated to be delivered in 2019.
I would also assume that these estimates are then based on the projection of approx 400,000 model 3s in 2018.

So how many will they actually produce in 2018? 200,000?

If this is the case, and its looking like it is, shouldn't many of the reservations be moved back between 6 and 12 months based on which version they want?
The great unknown is how many people will cancel their reservation. In this forum people indicate that they are switching to other cars for legitimate reasons. I guess Tesla doesn't want to scare of customers with delays that lead them to cancel, so it will be an conservative guess.

These estimates are probably based on their aim of 5000/week from the end of Q1/18 forward which would lead to at least 200.000 for Q2-Q4/18. If Q4/17 and Q1/18 combined produce 50.000 they will plan to reach at least 250.000 M3s until the end of 2018. Should many americans bail out, they could start international deliveries at the end of Q4/18. This would conveniently coincide with the full 7500 tax rebate period (at least until Q3/18) that may be still in place in 2018.

The great unknown is how many people will cancel their reservation. In this forum people indicate that they are switching to other cars for legitimate reasons. I guess Tesla doesn't want to scare of customers with delays that lead them to cancel, so it will be an conservative guess.

These estimates are probably based on their aim of 5000/week from the end of Q1/18 forward which would lead to at least 200.000 for Q2-Q4/18. If Q4/17 and Q1/18 combined produce 50.000 they will plan to reach at least 250.000 M3s until the end of 2018. Should many americans bail out, they could start international deliveries at the end of Q4/18. This would conveniently coincide with the full 7500 tax rebate period (at least until Q3/18) that may be still in place in 2018.

With approx 400,000 domestic orders, that would put almost half of all orders from Jan to December 2019. But this is not the case.
More and more I think that the projected delivery dates were based on the 5000 per month Dec, 400,000 built in 2018 projection.

With approx 400,000 domestic orders, that would put almost half of all orders from Jan to December 2019. But this is not the case.
More and more I think that the projected delivery dates were based on the 5000 per month Dec, 400,000 built in 2018 projection.
Again the 400.000 number, IF that's present domestic reservations, is excluding future bailouts due to the delays. That is the great unknown.

Reactions: strykeroz