Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla SC parking lots snow covered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious question if anyone knows. Whose responsibility is it to clear/clean the heavily snow covered parking areas around the Tesla Super Chargers for the ones located in the northern states and Canada? Does Tesla have snow plow businesses available to contact for these situations or is it the responsibility of the business (i.e. Meijer, Sheetz, etc) whose parking area that Tesla uses for their SC's?

Curious question if anyone knows. Whose responsibility is it to clear/clean the heavily snow covered parking areas around the Tesla Super Chargers for the ones located in the northern states and Canada? Does Tesla have snow plow businesses available to contact for these situations or is it the responsibility of the business (i.e. Meijer, Sheetz, etc) whose parking area that Tesla uses for their SC's?
You would have to read the leasing contract signed between Tesla and the host property to find out who had responsibility for snow removal at any particular site. However, the generic contract that Tesla proposes to all hosts has the host being responsible for it. And the terms related to maintenance are unlikely to be altered except to possibly require Tesla to reimburse for their share of the service, so it's a great bet that the site host is responsible. I'll link a copy of the contract between Tesla and the township of Terrace Bay, Ontario for the supercharger there so you can see what their normal contract says. The relevant section is item #12 (Maintenance).

Attachments

• Signed Agreement with Tesla (Superchargers).pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 137
I have yet to use a Tesla SC station during the winter so I was mainly curious what agreement was set up. I can only imagine if folks were to travel after a big snow storm, after the Interstate roads get cleared, and you needed to stop for a charge but you go to your SC on the cars map and once you stop to need a little juice you notice that the snow may be a little too high to pull in the parking spot. Not sure what the priority would be to clear several inches of snow from a SC parking lot but it appears it may be a gamble for those who do a lot of traveling in these areas.

when Tesla does scouting and arranges these locations I would assume that they discuss this with the property owner as part of agreement to have the SC's on their property.

Yes, if they or their lawyer had spent any time in the midwest where that is probably standard practice. Being a California company I could see them forgetting that part for the first few until the phone calls started coming in.

I have yet to use a Tesla SC station during the winter so I was mainly curious what agreement was set up. I can only imagine if folks were to travel after a big snow storm, after the Interstate roads get cleared, and you needed to stop for a charge but you go to your SC on the cars map and once you stop to need a little juice you notice that the snow may be a little too high to pull in the parking spot. Not sure what the priority would be to clear several inches of snow from a SC parking lot but it appears it may be a gamble for those who do a lot of traveling in these areas.
Most SCs are in the parking lot of a business. Presumably the business will want to have their lot cleared so they can also do business. The only issue will be in real blizzard conditions where it will take a long time for the snow plows to get everything. Generally the highways are closed during those conditions anyway, so you won't be traveling regardless of car type. I wouldn't be very concerned.

Most businesses do pretty well. But when it really snows it’s a challenge to move all that snow. At the end of the day it’s only snow.

Have shovel so we travel...... :)

BC32F04B-9ED1-4BC3-AE78-ACA73ED204D4.jpeg

Most businesses do pretty well. But when it really snows it’s a challenge to move all that snow. At the end of the day it’s only snow.

Have shovel so we travel...... :)

View attachment 509042
Yep, this is the scene that I envisioned when I asked my question. If the lots don't get cleared in a timely fashion I'm hoping it's no worse than this picture as folks might have a chance to get as close as they can for a charge without getting stuck.

This was one of the worst we’ve seen in our winter travels which we do a lot of. My wife and I being born and raised in the western prairies of Minnesota look forward to winter. To us winter is something you prepare for but certainly don’t stay home because of it.

Rapid City was just beginning to dig out from a 2 foot plus snowstorm when we arrived. We expected it to be pretty much like it was given what we had been driving in and seen that day.

I’m much more concerned about ICEing or $hitty parking by Tesla owners than snow blocking the pedestals.

Yes, if they or their lawyer had spent any time in the midwest where that is probably standard practice. Being a California company I could see them forgetting that part for the first few until the phone calls started coming in.
Well in many cases that is a wrong assumption. I don't know about ALL the general procedures, but In the two instances where I was involved in assisting the setup of an SC, and some others I know about, a survey questionnaire was sent to the local property owners and that was one of the questions asked. Thus, the local people should be providing that information. Not the lawyers or Tesla.

In addition to snow, one should also be cautious of Supercharging locations that have an incline that you have to back down. There's one in Wisconsin (I forget which one) that is like this and it can get icy. Getting out with my RWD P85+ was interesting! Now I have AWD so it should be better if it happens again.