Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

At a loss with Tesla SC ignoring issues with A/C

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So...
I'm at a loss with Tesla service centres right now.

First of all: I don't feel the A/C vents in my car are at all working as they should since I purchased my car. This is based on experience driving other model 3 and model Y cars (I've driven many by now).

I have two re-occurring faults that Tesla seems unable to identify or even acknowledge

1) When the car is cold and I start driving, the dashboard starts making clicking noises After a bit it stops.
2) The vents system in the driver side does NOT work, sometimes randomly the air blade deflection does NOT work and there's a clear difference between the right and left side of the steering wheel - with the right side being as it should and the left side being 15-30 cm lower than it should. Consequently I often get a blast of cold air towards my left knee. There are other posts in this forum with people with the same issue.

Now
For problem 1 I took my car to Tesla in Feb 2023. They identified something wrong with the driver side and replaced something. It stopped the clicking noise.
However recently, around June/July, the same issue has started in the passenger side. I have sent Tesla videos, but when I took the car to Park Royal, there was no noise. They also can't identify the fault.

This is what the service note from Feb says:
Concern: customer states clicking noise from ac from dash area.
Investigated clicking noise from dash area confirmed fault
found drivers air vent clicking replaced and tested all ok
Correction: Noise/Vibration: Verify And Inspect On-Site
Correction: Vent - Front - RH (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
IP, RHD AIRVENT ASY DRIVER (1111595-00-B)

I took the car to Tesla in Aug and now Oct and the response is "tested, all OK".
Now problem 2 is more tricky. Now on two visits they've said "tested, all OK".

How am I supposed to get Tesla to fix something that is obviously wrong?
Two things, either all Teslas I've driven are WRONG, or my car is WRONG. You can't have it both ways. I was tempted to stop by the SC with my loan car to show them how perfect the A/C was ... should have done it but I was late.

Should I hire Cleverly EV to open up and diagnose the issues so I can just bring them the report?
Any advice will be appreciated.

This was bound to happen. My car was one of those that was left half-built during the Shanghai lockdown.

So...
I'm at a loss with Tesla service centres right now.

First of all: I don't feel the A/C vents in my car are at all working as they should since I purchased my car. This is based on experience driving other model 3 and model Y cars (I've driven many by now).

I have two re-occurring faults that Tesla seems unable to identify or even acknowledge

1) When the car is cold and I start driving, the dashboard starts making clicking noises After a bit it stops.
2) The vents system in the driver side does NOT work, sometimes randomly the air blade deflection does NOT work and there's a clear difference between the right and left side of the steering wheel - with the right side being as it should and the left side being 15-30 cm lower than it should. Consequently I often get a blast of cold air towards my left knee. There are other posts in this forum with people with the same issue.

Now
For problem 1 I took my car to Tesla in Feb 2023. They identified something wrong with the driver side and replaced something. It stopped the clicking noise.
However recently, around June/July, the same issue has started in the passenger side. I have sent Tesla videos, but when I took the car to Park Royal, there was no noise. They also can't identify the fault.

This is what the service note from Feb says:
Concern: customer states clicking noise from ac from dash area.
Investigated clicking noise from dash area confirmed fault
found drivers air vent clicking replaced and tested all ok
Correction: Noise/Vibration: Verify And Inspect On-Site
Correction: Vent - Front - RH (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
IP, RHD AIRVENT ASY DRIVER (1111595-00-B)

I took the car to Tesla in Aug and now Oct and the response is "tested, all OK".
Now problem 2 is more tricky. Now on two visits they've said "tested, all OK".

How am I supposed to get Tesla to fix something that is obviously wrong?
Two things, either all Teslas I've driven are WRONG, or my car is WRONG. You can't have it both ways. I was tempted to stop by the SC with my loan car to show them how perfect the A/C was ... should have done it but I was late.

Should I hire Cleverly EV to open up and diagnose the issues so I can just bring them the report?
Any advice will be appreciated.

This was bound to happen. My car was one of those that was left half-built during the Shanghai lockdown.
72 plate by any chance? I think mine was also left half built during a lockdown and they forgot where they were up to when they started back. The rear of my Model Y rattles like a bag of cough sweets and I’ve also got the cold knee issue. It’s had more new parts than Trigger’s broom.

The clicking noise during startup calibration is very common. Mine was making more of a banging noice during startup, which turned out to be a gear in the main HVAC module skipping. The replaced the entire HVAC module which required IP removal.

You should ask to sit with the tech the car to show him/her where the air is blowing incorrectly. If he/she thinks it's fine, then compare it to another 3 on the lot.

Reactions: khyros
The clicking noise during startup calibration is very common. Mine was making more of a banging noice during startup, which turned out to be a gear in the main HVAC module skipping. The replaced the entire HVAC module which required IP removal.

You should ask to sit with the tech the car to show him/her where the air is blowing incorrectly. If he/she thinks it's fine, then compare it to another 3 on the lot.
Thanks!
But as in commonly occurring fault or normal behaviour? I have had 4-5 loaners since owning the car, have rented 4 model 3s, 1 model y, and I've never heard it.

I'll check properly when I get the car back, I want to know how often the air goes the wrong way, I don't want to book another appt and have the issue not happening after driving 2.5 hours to the service centre.

72 plate by any chance? I think mine was also left half built during a lockdown and they forgot where they were up to when they started back. The rear of my Model Y rattles like a bag of cough sweets and I’ve also got the cold knee issue. It’s had more new parts than Trigger’s broom.
late 22, I got it end of August 2022.
Yes, everything rattles - even sitting in US built old model 3 I perceive less rattles.

Thanks!
But as in commonly occurring fault or normal behaviour? I have had 4-5 loaners since owning the car, have rented 4 model 3s, 1 model y, and I've never heard it.

I'll check properly when I get the car back, I want to know how often the air goes the wrong way, I don't want to book another appt and have the issue not happening after driving 2.5 hours to the service centre.
It shouldn't make any ticking noises during startup, but a lot of 3's get a slightly noticeable clicking during the startup calibration. I had it on my previous 2018 3. They tried to fix it by replacing all kinds of things and removed the dash to do it. In the end, they solved the noise for a few months then it came back. Wasn't worth the hassle given the vents seemed to work fine. My new 3 had the banging noise which was much more noticeable and drove me crazy. In your case, you just need to prove to them the vents aren't pointing properly. I wouldn't worry about the slight clicking during startup. I've had at least 2 loaners with the same clicking during startup, but the vents worked fine.